• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Collins comes out as gay

HawkItus

• Moderators

so unless you think this is newsworthy keep your opinion and discussion to yourself ?? Wow.

Apolitical comments are on this thread. There is a separate thread discussing the politics and relgious aspects of the announcement.

Not sure why anyone should feel stifled other than second-guessing the moderation on the board.

I'm gonna actually say Jason Collins is kind of being a coward for coming out...if ur gay...if its not a choice...u were born that way...why wait till ur on ur last leg to come out of the closet. I know my opinion isn't politically correct but it's the truth...come out in 2002 Jason if ur so real...stop looking for media attention now

I'm gonna actually say Jason Collins is kind of being a coward for coming out...if ur gay...if its not a choice...u were born that way...why wait till ur on ur last leg to come out of the closet. I know my opinion isn't politically correct but it's the truth...come out in 2002 Jason if ur so real...stop looking for media attention now

Collins isn't much different now than he was 10 years ago.

• Moderators

The one thing to know about people who come out of the proverbial closets is, it's ALWAYS the wrong time to many of the people they see and deal with every day, never mind those of us in the peanut galleries.

JaCo could've come out in 2003 and the cry would've been, "Oh, you waited until you got to the NBA Finals to do it, why didn't you do it in college?" Or, "Oh, NOW you want to be a distraction in the locker room?" Or, "Oh, so you waited until the ink was dry on your rookie contract?"

In 2001, it would've been the same thing, "Why did you wait until you were starting on an Elite Eight team?" "Where was all this in high school before you got your full-ride scholarship?" It happens all the time, where a person's open declaration calls their entire livelihood and pre-existence into question... by friends, colleagues, exes, parents, employers, even strangers that think they "know" somebody. Never mind print and social media, in the case of athletes and celebrities. That it's never the right time for others is what keeps people from being open from the moment they're aware.

Only being historic, and not political here, but 2003 was an ironic point to note. Two weeks after Collins' Nets fell in the NBA Finals to the Spurs, the Supreme Court finally declared legally punitive measures for a certain activity unconstitutional, a vaguely-defined activity that prior to that point could have landed Collins and other men and women behind bars, depending on which state he was in. That the very first American child, growing up in a country where same-sex relationships among legally-consenting individuals cannot be punished on the whim of a law officer and judge, is just now on the verge of middle school, reflects on why there's so much gnashing of teeth among us grown folks today... and reflects well on why Collins won't be the last athlete people will question about their previously-withheld reservations in our lifetimes. Those of us old enough to recall when Collins' declaration would have been professionally designated a mental illness (up until around 1972?) also understand this particular nuance in our social discourse.

As for those perceiving him as a coward, that's pretty much what Collins, like many closeted individuals, recognized himself as having been all along (see the article discussing his Stanford roommate at the Boston Pride parade). He eventually tired of waiting for the convenience of someone else to be courageous first. That he acknowledges that, and refuses to succumb to cowardice for anyone's perceived convenience any longer, is what makes this exceptional.

He may never get to be an out player on an NBA floor. But I suspect Collins is perfectly fine with that possibility. And like Amaechi before him, if it prompts someone to be less-cowardly/more-courageous than he in the future, I'm sure that's a bonus for him. But either way, he'll still go forward in life, proudly, as Jason Collins, the occasionally-horrendous ex-hooper who continues to make his family and friends proud to know him.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

How can you say that unless you've done that yourself or had someone very close to you who is a professional athlete come out? I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that might be and to be in the media spotlight, as much as a scrub can be, with being in a locker room day after day with other naked guys who probably aren't comfortable knowing that about a teammate must be very difficult. Not trying to criticize you here but I've known one guy that "came out" when I was in the Army and it didn't go well for him. Imagine that plus the media attention and I applaud JaCo for being able to do it now.

so unless you think this is newsworthy keep your opinion and discussion to yourself ?? Wow.

Is that meant towards the moderation of the site or towards another response in this thread? My only remark about a topic belonging in the Homecourt forum is if it's Hawk related or a major newsworthy item about a former player or coach. It's kind of hypocritical of people who don't think this belongs here when I certainly don't remember those same people criticizing our decision to have all of the Lo Wright stuff on here even though he was no longer a Hawk.

• Premium Member

Is that meant towards the moderation of the site or towards another response in this thread? My only remark about a topic belonging in the Homecourt forum is if it's Hawk related or a major newsworthy item about a former player or coach. It's kind of hypocritical of people who don't think this belongs here when I certainly don't remember those same people criticizing our decision to have all of the Lo Wright stuff on here even though he was no longer a Hawk.

Edited by Dolfan23
COMMENT DELETED - End of Discussion about whether or not this topic belongs here.

Have you ever been in a position like Jason where coming out with some information about yourself

could have huge ramifications such as your ability to be employed, retain good relations with others, or maybe even bring physical violence down upon you? Unless you have, you aren't considering the possible negative effects coming out could have had on his life and career. Think a little before calling the man a coward.

Edited by Eddielives
  • Like 1

Walk a mile in that man's shoes, better yet just take a few steps knowing there will be consequences one way or another before calling him a coward.

its your board - I come here to follow the Hawks - I come here to follow Basketball - its think coming out about your personal sexual preference is personal and doesnt need public validation- again this shouldnt overshadow the Hawks, and it certainly isnt Hawks or basketball related.

I apologize if I have broken an unwritten rule or stepped on admins toes - I think everyone deserves respect and I know from experience in running an unrelated forum you arent going to make everyone happy - but just what comments are correct in this thread? If we disagree with how great or newsworthy it is are we labeled troublemakers and given the boot ? I understand that you have another forum for political threads - but what constitutes if a comment is political and what is just an honest post from members ?

I agree hate filled posts should be deleted, and I personally like Jason Collins as the guy gave the Hawks great effort , but at the end of the day it should be about whats going on the court - take this as what it is , a member with a difference of opinion and not a slam on admin - cause at the end of the day , arent we supposed to be having good somewhat respectful discussion ??

• Like 1

He should walk a mile in mine. All I'm sayin is we all got issues..whether medical sexuality whatever..stop coverage..please

So what exactly does everybody having issues have to do with him being a coward for deciding when he is comfortable saying what he has to say?I got issues to buddy. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I found it pretty intriguing Twin reached out to Drew on the phone. It kinda speaks on how much Drew is a players coach. I'll always remember Twin getting abused by Dwight in the playoffs but being vital for the teams success in that series.

It was easy for him to keep quiet so good for him for being himself with the potential backlash coming his way. Can't believe Twin out of all folks has made history.

• Like 1