• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Microsoft Announces Xbox One

PSSSHHHRRR87

That GeForce one does look sweet! When buying vid cards, you definitely get what you pay for. I have my vid card maxed out on games like 2k13 and Assassin's Creed and the graphics are very comparable to console. It's awesome that Madden 25 will be on PC. Can't wait to preview that one... lol

I'm surprised you aren't surpassing the consoles with the card you have. How much RAM do you have in your gaming PC? I ordered 16 GB to go in mine, which I'm thinking should be plenty with that video card.This is now going to my 4th computer / server in the house with a 1KW power supply so probably half of my electric bill goes to movies, graphic work and now gaming. Oh yeah and Madden 25 is gonna be awesome. I think it comes out August 27th on all platforms.

• Moderators
I'm surprised you aren't surpassing the consoles with the card you have. How much RAM do you have in your gaming PC? I ordered 16 GB to go in mine, which I'm thinking should be plenty with that video card. This is now going to my 4th computer / server in the house with a 1KW power supply so probably half of my electric bill goes to movies, graphic work and now gaming. Oh yeah and Madden 25 is gonna be awesome. I think it comes out August 27th on all platforms.
I wouldn't really consider it a full on gaming comp, but I have 4 GB (2 x 2 Gb) Corsair DDR3 1600. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16820145260 but I have 2 more sticks waiting to be installed once I upgrade to i5 (maybe i7) to bump me up to 8 GB. When I bought the i3 I didn't realize it only supported 4 GB RAM. 1.5 TB HDD. Gigabyte GAH55MUD2H MoBo (discontinued). Don't quote me, but isn't PCIe 3.0 backwards compatible? I'm pretty sure it is... EDIT: Researched and answered that question. PCIe 3.0 IS backwards compatible to 2.0. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/382646-33-pcie-backward-compatible Should have known because the card I listed is 3.0 and my MoBo only has 2.0. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

Wow that's very cool about the graphics cards being backwards compatible! That opens up my choices significantly so thanks for pointing that out dude! I feel a lot better about having 16 GB of RAM now too. I've been spoiled with 64 GB in my Dell Tower at work for a while and was thinking that 16 wouldn't be enough but if you're getting by with 4 then I'm not gonna sweat it.

Alright well using the info you gave me today I ordered this card today.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-192-Bit-Graphics-02G-P4-2660-KR/dp/B009F7HFRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371231343&sr=8-2&keywords=geforce+gtx+660

Seems like it will work really well for the games that I will play. Now I just gotta get the rest of the parts that I need and get it all together and start playing.

• Like 1

Now I'm considering getting a 128 GB or similar solid state hard drive to use as the OS drive and install drive for the games. My brother, who games a lot, says that has made a huge difference in the performance of his gaming machine.

• Moderators

Alright well using the info you gave me today I ordered this card today.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-192-Bit-Graphics-02G-P4-2660-KR/dp/B009F7HFRA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371231343&sr=8-2&keywords=geforce+gtx+660

Seems like it will work really well for the games that I will play. Now I just gotta get the rest of the parts that I need and get it all together and start playing.

Very nice card sir. Very nice. Oh, I couldn't imagine having 16 GB of RAM let alone 64 GB! I think you'll be very, very happy with that card! Oh, just a reminder that when you begin "previewing" games, make sure to set it up so that a firewall blocks them from internet access. EA, Ubisoft, and others are a big turd when they find folks that having ripped off their games...

• Moderators

Now I'm considering getting a 128 GB or similar solid state hard drive to use as the OS drive and install drive for the games. My brother, who games a lot, says that has made a huge difference in the performance of his gaming machine.

I have a buddy who is in I.T. and he has put the OS on a solid state drive for every one of his comps. Says it has dramatically improved load times. Plus, those solid states run cooler.

I have a buddy who is in I.T. and he has put the OS on a solid state drive for every one of his comps. Says it has dramatically improved load times. Plus, those solid states run cooler.

That's what my brother was saying and he's in IT as well and did the same for his computers. My only thing is that those drives are expensive and pretty small. I guess if I'm only doing 2-3 games a year then I can delete them when the next years version comes out it wouldn't be an issue.

Very nice card sir. Very nice. Oh, I couldn't imagine having 16 GB of RAM let alone 64 GB! I think you'll be very, very happy with that card! Oh, just a reminder that when you begin "previewing" games, make sure to set it up so that a firewall blocks them from internet access. EA, Ubisoft, and others are a big turd when they find folks that having ripped off their games...

Thank you sir and I appreciate your advice on all of this as it's been very helpful. Although it's probably your fault that I've spent so much money on this now LOL.

I will PM you about the firewall stuff.

• Like 1

Got everything installed and hooked up and played a quick game of NBA 2k13 and man this thing is smooth! I can't believe the difference. The graphics look fantastic but the game play is just smooth, that's the only way I can describe it. The 360 controller worked flawlessly without having to go through any odd steps to install as well. I wish I could figure out a way to get my "myPlayer" off of the 360 2k13 and onto this one though as I have almost 2 full seasons with 12 minute quarters played with him and I hate to lose him.

Now I gotta get myself a motion sickness bracelet so that I can attempt to play first person shooters.

Oh and I was a bit surprised thinking this would be higher, but I ran my "Windows Experience" test and it only got a 7.2. The graphics card was a 7.9 so I'm happy there but even with a 120 GB solid state hard drive I only got a 7.2 for the data transfer rate. Still much better than the 5.5 my media server desktop has though. Gonna check my computer at work tomorrow and see how it compares as it's got 64 GB of RAM vs 16 in this one but it has a regular SATA drive vs solid state.

• Moderators

Yeah there also games like Bioshock and COD: Black Ops and I here ya on the motion sickness. Can't play any of those games either! I'm glad this is up and running for you. If you want to play any Ubisoft games, LMK. There's a controller app that you have to install to make it work.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators

Oh and I was a bit surprised thinking this would be higher, but I ran my "Windows Experience" test and it only got a 7.2. The graphics card was a 7.9 so I'm happy there but even with a 120 GB solid state hard drive I only got a 7.2 for the data transfer rate. Still much better than the 5.5 my media server desktop has though. Gonna check my computer at work tomorrow and see how it compares as it's got 64 GB of RAM vs 16 in this one but it has a regular SATA drive vs solid state.

I ran the "Windows Experience" test too and I got a 7.5 on the graphics card, but the data transfer was only a 5.9 on a HDD. I hope to improve my RAM numbers too as they were low too... Everything else was 7.0+, so I'm happy with that to play games.

• Like 1

Yeah there also games like Bioshock and COD: Black Ops and I here ya on the motion sickness. Can't play any of those games either! I'm glad this is up and running for you. If you want to play any Ubisoft games, LMK. There's a controller app that you have to install to make it work.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I will definitely let you know. Thanks for the tips sir.

Not much difference between ours then, really the only difference is a traditional hard drive vs a solid state hard drive. I will say I can't believe how fast this thing boots up and shuts down. The drive was $149 for a 120 GB drive but it's definitely worth it for the speed!

Sup squawkers, long time! I've got an XB1 on pre-order. I mostly game on a PC, but I want the xb1 for the media/TV stuff. Looks pretty cool!

Now that's shocking to me since you've been the hardcore PC gamer guy all these years and I've been the console guy and now I get the gaming PC and you go the console route.

The problem also with the XB1 is if you give an inch, they are eventually going to take a mile. So expect future Microsoft products to be much more developer friendly instead of consumer friendly

• Moderators

The problem also with the XB1 is if you give an inch, they are eventually going to take a mile. So expect future Microsoft products to be much more developer friendly instead of consumer friendly

That is what all the controversy is about, right? You have to be connected to the internet daily or hourly depending on what you are playing...you can't use, sell or buy used games...price is $100 higher than PS4...it is deliberately not backwards compatible....etc.

I haven't had a console since the Wii but I will probably pick up a PS4 at some point down the line since it will be cheaper than a gaming computer, cheaper than the XBox and not so restricted as the XBox. That is, if I ever get the time to do any real gaming.

• Admin

That is what all the controversy is about, right? You have to be connected to the internet daily or hourly depending on what you are playing...you can't use, sell or buy used games...price is $100 higher than PS4...it is deliberately not backwards compatible....etc.

I haven't had a console since the Wii but I will probably pick up a PS4 at some point down the line since it will be cheaper than a gaming computer, cheaper than the XBox and not so restricted as the XBox. That is, if I ever get the time to do any real gaming.

The XB1 was originally going to require a 24 hour check-in to verify game licenses. Every game was automatically installed to the hard drive and never needed the disc to be inserted again. YOu could digitally share your games with friends and they would always be available to you in the cloud.

Today, due to the mindless mob, microsoft announced that they're dropping the 24 hour check-in, but they're also dropping the mandatory installs and the ability to digitally share your games with friends. You can still purchase games online and get some of those features, but disc based games work like they always have, ie. they have not evolved at all.

FWIW, you were always able to buy and sell games, but there was a license transfer process. Now it's back like it always has been, no evolution there.

• Like 1

• Admin

Now that's shocking to me since you've been the hardcore PC gamer guy all these years and I've been the console guy and now I get the gaming PC and you go the console route.

I've had 360's since they were released. I currently have 3 of them that I use primarily as set top boxes for U-verse. I play games on them when I find a game a like, but I mostly play on PC. I'm interested in the XB1 more for the media/tv stuff and to see how it integrates with all my other gadgets (windows 8, surface, Windows phone 8, etc), but the games are a nice bonus! :)

I've had 360's since they were released. I currently have 3 of them that I use primarily as set top boxes for U-verse. I play games on them when I find a game a like, but I mostly play on PC. I'm interested in the XB1 more for the media/tv stuff and to see how it integrates with all my other gadgets (windows 8, surface, Windows phone 8, etc), but the games are a nice bonus! :)

That's gotta be weird using the Xbox's as set tops for u-verse. Do you have keyboards or a special remote for them?I haven't read much of the XB1 or how it works as a home media device but I imagine it should integrate pretty well.