• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who are the guys that you would be pissed if we drafted?

Admin

Potentially fantastic news from Chad Ford as he's "hearing" that Saric is thinking about withdrawing from the NBA Draft. I'm so worried about us drafting him or Captain Giannis Rec League so anything that removes those possibilities are a good thing in my eyes.

Guest Walter

Potentially fantastic news from Chad Ford as he's "hearing" that Saric is thinking about withdrawing from the NBA Draft. I'm so worried about us drafting him or Captain Giannis Rec League so anything that removes those possibilities are a good thing in my eyes.

I can understand reluctance or doubt with giannis based upon perceived competition. it's like watching a guy playing good HSers. But he has the closest thing to the incredible ball handling and physical attributes of durant while possibly being a better athlete. He's essentially a HSer who wouldn't come over for 2-3 yrs now that he's going to Spanish one. http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/giannis-adetokunbo-greek-highlights/ I think this is a different mix.

I can understand reluctance or doubt with giannis based upon perceived competition. it's like watching a guy playing good HSers. But he has the closest thing to the incredible ball handling and physical attributes of durant while possibly being a better athlete. He's essentially a HSer who wouldn't come over for 2-3 yrs now that he's going to Spanish one. http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/giannis-adetokunbo-greek-highlights/ I think this is a different mix.

Unless he's ready to play this year then we can't draft him in the 1st round as the new CBA guarantees a contract for all 1st round picks so you can't stash them overseas. At least that's what I believe AHF or one of the other guys said. So if you believe he can play next year then by all means take him but I don't think that's the case and its why I believe he goes with the 1st pick in the 2nd round so that he can be stashed.

Guest Walter

Unless he's ready to play this year then we can't draft him in the 1st round as the new CBA guarantees a contract for all 1st round picks so you can't stash them overseas. At least that's what I believe AHF or one of the other guys said. So if you believe he can play next year then by all means take him but I don't think that's the case and its why I believe he goes with the 1st pick in the 2nd round so that he can be stashed.

http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/giannis-adetokunbo-greek-highlights/ More importantly, here... http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50 We will likely WANT to stash a guy overseas allowing us more cap space to go after CP and DH rather than two rookies. If we don't get them and "tank" we can bring him over buying out his small Spanish contract if we like. Giannis may have pippen-upside. If we are going to stash someone anyway, get someone who in 3 yrs with an aging Paul, MIGHT have the talent to step in as a play-maker. Btw, aside from your premise being wrong, giannis already reportedly has 1st rd promises. Didnt shellhead teach you these types of rumors no matter how illy, are real! The guy won't see the 2nd rd. no way. W

http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/giannis-adetokunbo-greek-highlights/ More importantly, here... http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q50 We will likely WANT to stash a guy overseas allowing us more cap space to go after CP and DH rather than two rookies. If we don't get them and "tank" we can bring him over buying out his small Spanish contract if we like. Giannis may have pippen-upside. If we are going to stash someone anyway, get someone who in 3 yrs with an aging Paul, MIGHT have the talent to step in as a play-maker. Btw, aside from your premise being wrong, giannis already reportedly has 1st rd promises. Didnt shellhead teach you these types of rumors no matter how illy, are real! The guy won't see the 2nd rd. no way. W

I'm pretty sure that CBAFaq site hasn't been updated but I will check the actual CBA when I'm home later tonight. If I'm right about 1st round picks getting contracts right away now then either you're wrong about him not coming over right away or those promise rumors are false. Nobody is going to draft a kid that they have to give a contract to and have him stay in Europe. ******* Update - it looks like I was either misinformed, misunderstood, or am simply imagining what someone (I thought it was AHF) said as a quick Google search returned the following in regards to the Mavericks and their 1st round pick this year.

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/inside_report/inside-report-selecting-stashing-overseas-still-option-mavs-pick-no-13

According to the current CBA, in the event that a first-round pick signs with a non-NBA team, the player’s applicable rookie scale contract amount can be excluded from the team’s cap amount while retaining his draft rights. That would free up $1.66 million off the books for the Mavs as they look to become a major player in free agency on July 1.

With that being the case, I'm still not drafting Giannis unless he's the highest rated player left on our board and sweet baby Jesus I pray that he won't be anywhere in the 1st round as we need as close to sure things as we can get. ******* Update 2 - okay it appears that I had mixed up what AHF was saying. Basically we can draft him and he can be stashed overseas (for 3 years I believe) and we still hold his draft rights but that doesn't clear up any cap room to be used in free agency. This does seem to contradict what that article I find in regard to the Mavs said though.

In terms of cap room, remember that we can pretty easily move our first round picks for future picks if we are interested. From my reading of Coon, I do not think we can free up the cap room by taking a foreign player to stash in Europe, though. The cap charge for a first round pick is applied immediately upon drafting and then it is only removed on the first day of the regular season (or the date the contract overseas is signed, if later).

The important piece of the CBA is here (Article VII Basketball Related Income, Salary Cap, Minimum Team Salary, and Escrow Arrangement; Section 4 Determination of Team Salary; Part e First Round Picks):

(3) A Team that holds draft rights to a First Round Pick may elect to have the player’s applicable Rookie Scale Amount excluded from its Team Salary at any time prior to the first day of any Regular Season by providing the NBA with a written statement that the Team will not sign the player during that Salary Cap Year accompanied by a written statement from the First Round Pick renouncing his right to accept any outstanding Required Tender made to him by the Team. After making such an election, (i) the Team shall be prohibited from signing the player during that Salary Cap Year, except in accordance with Section 5(e)(4)(ii) below, (ii) the Team shall continue to possess such rights with respect to the player that the Team possessed pursuant to Article X immediately prior to such election, and (iii) the player’s applicable Rookie Scale Amount shall be included again in his Team’s Team Salary at the applicable Rookie Scale Amount on the following July 1. When a First Round Pick provides a Team with a written statement renouncing his right to accept that year’s outstanding Required Tender, the Player shall no longer be permitted to accept it.

So you can "draft and stash" so long as your 1st rounder agrees to it and you fill out the proper paperwork.

The important piece of the CBA is here (Article VII Basketball Related Income, Salary Cap, Minimum Team Salary, and Escrow Arrangement; Section 4 Determination of Team Salary; Part e First Round Picks): So you can "draft and stash" so long as your 1st rounder agrees to it and you fill out the proper paperwork.

Ok cool thank you for clarifying here. I sure hope we don't draft and stash this likely huge bust but at least if we do it will save us some cap room.

Guest Walter

The important piece of the CBA is here (Article VII Basketball Related Income, Salary Cap, Minimum Team Salary, and Escrow Arrangement; Section 4 Determination of Team Salary; Part e First Round Picks): So you can "draft and stash" so long as your 1st rounder agrees to it and you fill out the proper paperwork.

I'm certain this would already be agreed to. Moreover, giannis already has a deal to play in Spain! The nba cannot FORCE him to play here and they cannot count a player who has a contract already signed elsewhere against our cap. It's alright to say you don't believe giannis has the potential to warrant his selection with the 18th pick despite his 7'4" wingspan and deft ball-handling in a 6'9" frame at 18 yoa. It's alright to say the risk of a high school age player dominating the equivalent of HS talent is not worth the reward of what many say is a potential pippen or durant-lite player. But all this is smoke-screen to avoid saying that, Dolfan. You don't like him. Fine. But it's not because of a clause in the cba you clearly do not understand. It's the other way around, you bring up a clause you clearly do not understand BECAUSE you don't like him, or at least the idea of him. Then when the clause doesn't work in your favor you disregard it? Come on man. Lay it on the line. 9 times out of 10 I feel like I get it right on these players but I still liked Yi over Horford and said so.

I'm certain this would already be agreed to. Moreover, giannis already has a deal to play in Spain! The nba cannot FORCE him to play here and they cannot count a player who has a contract already signed elsewhere against our cap.

Well they counted it in all the previous CBAs. Common sense and the CBA do not have to mix.

Guest Walter

Well they counted it in all the previous CBAs. Common sense and the CBA do not have to mix.

Teams have been drafting and stashing for years. Does the word "stash" suggest teams were taking a cap hit for a player not playing for them? He'll no! Do you think SA would have been doing that if it hurt their cap each and every time they did it? He'll no! They did it to create a FREE, no competition free agency where they fill out their roster with said player in a year or two while only competing in salary with Euro clubs rather Than paying a Landry Fields $20 million or whatever. They did it to let someone else do the developing while it cost them nothing. They didn't do it because it cost them precious cap space to leave a player overseas!?! Not the Spurs, especially. W

Teams have been drafting and stashing for years. Does the word "stash" suggest teams were taking a cap hit for a player not playing for them? He'll no! Do you think SA would have been doing that if it hurt their cap each and every time they did it? He'll no! They did it to create a FREE, no competition free agency where they fill out their roster with said player in a year or two while only competing in salary with Euro clubs rather Than paying a Landry Fields $20 million or whatever. They did it to let someone else do the developing while it cost them nothing. They didn't do it because it cost them precious cap space to leave a player overseas!?! Not the Spurs, especially.W

They did that with 2nd rounders. Different story with 1st rounders. In the past, a team had a caphold associated with a 1st round draft pick if they wanted to retain his rights. This is regardless of whether or not that 1st rounder was playing elsewhere. The most significant of these was Fran Vasquez but also Rubio was a big name with this.

You are mixing up issues here. A 1st round draft pick most certainly cost a team cap space in the past. A 2nd round draft pick has never cost cap space for the rights to the player because there is no rookie exception (rookie scale) associated with them.

Guest Walter

They did that with 2nd rounders. Different story with 1st rounders. In the past, a team had a caphold associated with a 1st round draft pick if they wanted to retain his rights. This is regardless of whether or not that 1st rounder was playing elsewhere. The most significant of these was Fran Vasquez but also Rubio was a big name with this. You are mixing up issues here. A 1st round draft pick most certainly cost a team cap space in the past. A 2nd round draft pick has never cost cap space for the rights to the player because there is no rookie exception (rookie scale) associated with them.

You are correct sir. I thought Parker had been stashed. Had not.W

I'm certain this would already be agreed to. Moreover, giannis already has a deal to play in Spain! The nba cannot FORCE him to play here and they cannot count a player who has a contract already signed elsewhere against our cap.It's alright to say you don't believe giannis has the potential to warrant his selection with the 18th pick despite his 7'4" wingspan and deft ball-handling in a 6'9" frame at 18 yoa. It's alright to say the risk of a high school age player dominating the equivalent of HS talent is not worth the reward of what many say is a potential pippen or durant-lite player. But all this is smoke-screen to avoid saying that, Dolfan. You don't like him. Fine. But it's not because of a clause in the cba you clearly do not understand. It's the other way around, you bring up a clause you clearly do not understand BECAUSE you don't like him, or at least the idea of him. Then when the clause doesn't work in your favor you disregard it? Come on man. Lay it on the line. 9 times out of 10 I feel like I get it right on these players but I still liked Yi over Horford and said so.

Are you really that damn dense? How many times do I have to say that I think he's an overrated rec league player who I DON'T want the Hawks to draft? If it were really a "smoke-screen" do you really think I would have admitted I was wrong? Go back and read the past few weeks were I've said nothing positive about this guy, long before I heard of this new CBA clause that I got mixed up on and quit trying to act so self righteous. But once again just so you can clearly understand, I DO NOT WANT THE HAWKS TO DRAFT GIANNIS BECAUSE I THINK HE'S GOING TO BE A BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did that get through this time?

• Moderators

hawksfanatic is correct on this. You can free up cap room if the player signs off on documentation agreeing that he won't play in the league this season. In that sense, however, things are not entirely within the control of the drafting team. You can agree in advance to do this but are always subject to getting Boozered if a player changes his mind.

• 8 years later...
On 6/7/2013 at 11:13 PM, Admin said:

Are you really that damn dense? How many times do I have to say that I think he's an overrated rec league player who I DON'T want the Hawks to draft? If it were really a "smoke-screen" do you really think I would have admitted I was wrong? Go back and read the past few weeks were I've said nothing positive about this guy, long before I heard of this new CBA clause that I got mixed up on and quit trying to act so self righteous. But once again just so you can clearly understand, I DO NOT WANT THE HAWKS TO DRAFT GIANNIS BECAUSE I THINK HE'S GOING TO BE A BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did that get through this time?

Does anyone want to bring Dolfan back to ask him about this?