• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Eurocamp Day 3

KB21

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2013-adidas-Eurocamp-Day-Three-4244

What I'm going to quote here really has nothing to do with the Eurocamp itself. It is disappointing that some of the higher rated prospects pulled out because of injuries or sickness. Rudy Gobert pulled out because of food poisoning. Lucas Noguiera, after being the most impressive player on the floor on the first day, decided that he had shown enough and left.

Here's the highlight of the article:

After scoring 17 points on 4/5 from inside the arc and 2/4 from three on top of 5 rebounds, 1 assist, and 4 fouls in 20 minutes against a Turkish team including 2012 Nets second-rounderIlkan Karaman, Euroleague centerOguz Savas, and former Texas point guardDogus Balbay,Giannis Adetokunbowas impressive in his third game in as many days.

Starting off the game with a cheap foul and a traveling call, which have plagued the competition on the whole, Adetokunbo finished the first quarter against the Italian Senior National B Team with 0 points. Scoring 10 points in the second quarter, he connected on a couple of nice floaters in the lane to get himself going. Finishing the game with 12 points, Adetokunbo once again showed promising offensive versatility, doing a little bit of everything in the paint, from the perimeter, and as a primary ball handler, but also making it clear that he still has a ways to go on this end of the floor.

Once again, Adetokubo did his best work on the defensive end, where his length and foot speed allowed him to contest perimeter shots, defend multiple positions after switching, rotate from the weakside to challenge shots, and trap ball-handlers in the corners. Though he lacks strength, the 18 year old didn't let himself get pushed around by the more experienced player he was competing against, showing the type of toughness he'll need as he begins to compete more regularly against quality competition.

The NBA scouts in attendance had a hard time hiding how impressed that were with his poise and basketball relative to where he's at in his learning curve. Teams in the 20's believe there's virtually no chance he gets to them. While Adetokunbo was far from dominant here, he helped himself in a major way by showing that he can hold his own against legitimate players over the last two days against a collection of talented pros from Italy and Turkey which will earn him a significant boost in our top-100 rankings and 2013 mock draft when we make our next updates.

I hate to talk about potential, because potential only means that you haven't done anything yet. With that said, this is an 18 year old kid who is 6'9" with room to grow and is very skilled as far as his ability to play defense, his ability to shoot the basketball, and his ability to handle the basketball.

Guest Walter

Perhaps giannis can use his 7'4" span to cover dolfan's screen from Europe and spare him reading this article. I see him as a 3 yr project but if already can defend he would be worth bringing over next yr. Bud might want to coach him up himself.W

Guest Walter

I liked him too until I read on a site that said his comparison player was Dermarr Johnson..:-( now I'm scared to death

Giannis just reached over and covered my screen. Nothing to see here.W

Can't even dominate against scrubs. smh

Plus he's 6'9" and growing and if he keeps growing he's not going to have a natural position to play since he plays the game like a guard. Everyone knows I am against the Hawks taking him as he's a major risk. If we had a team that was much more polished I'd consider taking him but there are too many good wings and centers in this draft with a lot less bust potential to take such a big risk on this guy.

Guest Walter

Can't even dominate against scrubs. smh Plus he's 6'9" and growing and if he keeps growing he's not going to have a natural position to play since he plays the game like a guard. Everyone knows I am against the Hawks taking him as he's a major risk. If we had a team that was much more polished I'd consider taking him but there are too many good wings and centers in this draft with a lot less bust potential to take such a big risk on this guy.

When do guard (ball-handling) skills in Sf size ever hurt? Magic Johnson didn't have a natural position then. Durant doesn't have a natural position, then. Transcendent. Giannis has a sg handle with sf/pf height and Center wingspan. It's crazy to wrap your head around, I know, but at EIGHTEEN years of age (and little developmental exp) he's the player with the highest upside in this draft. If you can get that with the 17th, pick, the default is pick him unless you find a definitive reason not to.W

When do guard (ball-handling) skills in Sf size ever hurt? Magic Johnson didn't have a natural position then. Durant doesn't have a natural position, then. Transcendent. Giannis has a sg handle with sf/pf height and Center wingspan. It's crazy to wrap your head around, I know, but at EIGHTEEN years of age (and little developmental exp) he's the player with the highest upside in this draft. If you can get that with the 17th, pick, the default is pick him unless you find a definitive reason not to.W

I'm worried about the kid ending up being 6'11 or so and not having a natural position. At some point you're going to be too big to play guard or even SF.

There are plenty of reasons not to draft him and some of those reasons have big time potential and have a much more proven background. The Spurs haven't gone out on a limb and drafted guys with super high upside and little proven experience against legit NBA players and I really don't see the Hawks doing that either.

I'm worried about the kid ending up being 6'11 or so and not having a natural position. At some point you're going to be too big to play guard or even SF. There are plenty of reasons not to draft him and some of those reasons have big time potential and have a much more proven background. The Spurs haven't gone out on a limb and drafted guys with super high upside and little proven experience against legit NBA players and I really don't see the Hawks doing that either.

Not trying to sound ignorant, but what's wrong if he grows two inches. As long as he keeps developing as a small forward, I see it as a height advantage not a deterrent. Still think we should stay away from him though (I don't trust the league he's in).

Not trying to sound ignorant, but what's wrong if he grows two inches. As long as he keeps developing as a small forward, I see it as a height advantage not a deterrent. Still think we should stay away from him though (I don't trust the league he's in).

It depends on what type of player he wants to be but if he ends up 6'11" can you imagine him trying to be a ball handler and trying to drive past one of these quicker smaller guards? Sometimes it works out and they don't lose that skill, like Paul George did, but you can see in these highlights where he is already working hard to dribble past these little guys, now just imagine if those guys actually had any skill how hard it would be for a guy 6'11" to dribble the ball all that distance from the floor to his hand level and not have it stolen.

I like GIannis and said as much in the past. If we draft him, I am not v. it since he is the best SF available at our slot. Not sold on the Russian at all.

I think you meant Reggie Bullock when you said best SF available at our slot. Giannis is the one with the highest bust / boom potential and no proven experience and isn't like any player on the Spurs team. Bullock is a near clone of Danny Green.

It depends on what type of player he wants to be but if he ends up 6'11" can you imagine him trying to be a ball handler and trying to drive past one of these quicker smaller guards? Sometimes it works out and they don't lose that skill, like Paul George did, but you can see in these highlights where he is already working hard to dribble past these little guys, now just imagine if those guys actually had any skill how hard it would be for a guy 6'11" to dribble the ball all that distance from the floor to his hand level and not have it stolen.

Good point. Either way, I think drafting him in the first round would be a mistake. It seems from the tape I've seen of him that anyone taller than 6'0"can be a star in that league.

Good point. Either way, I think drafting him in the first round would be a mistake. It seems from the tape I've seen of him that anyone taller than 6'0"can be a star in that league.

I agree and while I'd hate to be the team that misses out on the next huge foreign star, I'm not willing to take that risk at this point in our re-building.

Guest Walter

"The NBA scouts in attendance had a hard time hiding how impressed that were with his poise and basketball relative to where he's at in his learning curve. Teams in the 20's believe there's virtually no chance he gets to them".It would seem nba scouts who saw him would contradict this sentiment.To Dolfan, if ever during rebuilding there was a time to pick for upside, it is when you have 2, 1st rd picks and may need to stash a player overseas to retain cap space for top tier fas.W

Guest Walter

I'm worried about the kid ending up being 6'11 or so and not having a natural position. At some point you're going to be too big to play guard or even SF. There are plenty of reasons not to draft him and some of those reasons have big time potential and have a much more proven background. The Spurs haven't gone out on a limb and drafted guys with super high upside and little proven experience against legit NBA players and I really don't see the Hawks doing that either.

...Or you are going to transcend positions. I believe giannis has always been tall for his age but he's just chosen to and been a naturally gifted ball-handler in part due to his incredible hand size. This all is not going to change with some theoretical 2 inches in height. He already doesn't have a natural position! He's already someone with center length and sg skills! However, he can and will always be able to defend the sf position because of his fluidity, quickness, and length.

...Or you are going to transcend positions. I believe giannis has always been tall for his age but he's just chosen to and been a naturally gifted ball-handler in part due to his incredible hand size. This all is not going to change with some theoretical 2 inches in height. He already doesn't have a natural position! He's already someone with center length and sg skills! However, he can and will always be able to defend the sf position because of his fluidity, quickness, and length.

I don't think larger hands makes you a better ball handler.........if anything it hurts your dribbling.

Think about dribbling a woman's basketball or kiddy basketball vs. a men's basketball. To me its much easier to handle the larger mens basketball as far as dribbling goes.

Its really tough to gage foreign talent.......especially one who has only played in a junior league for teenagers. Look at what is happening to Schröder in workouts. College PGs are eating him alive according to reports.

Its much easier to gage foreign talent if they have an elite skill - set. Giannis has an elite physical attribute (length) but no elite skill set yet. He could be another Jonathan Bender or he could be much better. The Durant comparisons need to go though. You could tell Durant was on another level at 18.

All that being said........I'm intrigued by Giannis but would have to see him workout vs. American talent to see how he fares vs. that kind of intensity and physicality. Does he shy away like Schröder reportedly has or does he take it to them ?

"The NBA scouts in attendance had a hard time hiding how impressed that were with his poise and basketball relative to where he's at in his learning curve. Teams in the 20's believe there's virtually no chance he gets to them".It would seem nba scouts who saw him would contradict this sentiment.To Dolfan, if ever during rebuilding there was a time to pick for upside, it is when you have 2, 1st rd picks and may need to stash a player overseas to retain cap space for top tier fas.W

It's funny how you're quoting the part about the scouts now but had no comment on day 1 when they left with 6 minutes remaining in the game and were not impressed with his performance. And we don't need to stash a player when it's a 1.2 million dollar salary that we are talking about. We are far better serves getting production from that and building for the future vs stashing him and signing 1 yr stop gap vets.

Excellent post Coach that's exactly how I feel. And yes it's common knowledge that larger hands makes it more difficult to dribble the ball and control it, plus the taller you are the more distance the ball travels between the floor and the players hand which is slower and easier to steal vs a shorter, quicker player.

• Moderators

I don't think larger hands makes you a better ball handler.........if anything it hurts your dribbling.

Think about dribbling a woman's basketball or kiddy basketball vs. a men's basketball. To me its much easier to handle the larger mens basketball as far as dribbling goes.

Depends on the person. There aren't many guards with bigger hands than Rajon Rondo, for example, and he is an excellent ball handler.