• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks may look to make a splash on draft night by trading up or for veteran player

Admin

Hawks May Make a Splash On Draft Night?

A source close to the Atlanta Hawks has informed HOOPSWORLD that the franchise will be aggressively evaluating all of its options on draft night as it looks to further reshape the roster under Danny Ferry, the team’s president of basketball operations and general manager.

The source says the team will not only look to move up in the upcoming draft, as reported by Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports, but that the Hawks may also be considering packaging their first-round draft picks in an alternate scenario in order to acquire an established veteran.

The Hawks have just $18.6 million in guaranteed salaries on the books for next season, which puts the team in prime position to absorb salary in this scenario.

Atlanta owns four picks in this year’s draft. Two of the selections are in the first-round (No. 17 and No. 18 overall) and the others (No. 47 and No. 50 overall) land in the second round.

The Hawks have just three players with guaranteed deals for the 2014 campaign (Al Horford, Lou Williams and John Jenkins).

According to sources, the team is also poised to make a run at this year’s marquee free agents once that period begins in July. This isn’t surprising given the team’s favorable position to the salary cap and the need to fill out the roster. More to come.

via Lang Greene – HOOPSWORLD

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/hawks-looking-to-make-splash-on-draft-night#xmFRmIH97UBxozv3.99

• Like 1

If the Hawks are still looking at getting a "marquee guy" then you have to wonder who is worth two first round picks while being cheap so that we can still make a run at Dwight/CP3...

I dunno but maybe they don't plan on going after either of those guys and are instead hoping to use our draft picks and cap space to unload a top notch player from someone else looking to clear some salary off the books? I have no idea who that might be though.

If the Hawks are still looking at getting a "marquee guy" then you have to wonder who is worth two first round picks while being cheap so that we can still make a run at Dwight/CP3...

Well actually - maybe it's not a run at either of those two. There are other decent quality free agents out there that they may think fit better - like the Lumberjack dude.

• Moderators

I dunno but maybe they don't plan on going after either of those guys and are instead hoping to use our draft picks and cap space to unload a top notch player from someone else looking to clear some salary off the books? I have no idea who that might be though.

Only guy I can think of is Peks. It's known that the Wolves love being active on draft day, so an extra 1st round pick of 2 my entice them to give us Peks.

EDIT: Maybe Cousins...

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

Only guy I can think of is Peks. It's known that the Wolves love being active on draft day, so an extra 1st round pick of 2 my entice them to give us Peks.

Well they're apparently rebuffing offers for Love right now from the Cavs. So who knows maybe they plan to keep Love and move Pek. I'm just picturing how awkward looking a C rotation of Pekovic and Pachulia will be. But I bet they'd be damn good friends!

• Like 1

No need to give up those picks for a guy who won't help us get out of the second round. Hopefully this is just a smokescreen.

A veteran Allstar coupled with Horford will help attract Howard or Paul.The question is who ?I see no obvious fit.

Only guy I can think of is Peks. It's known that the Wolves love being active on draft day, so an extra 1st round pick of 2 my entice them to give us Peks. EDIT: Maybe Cousins...

What about Love ? He does not want to be around a rebuilding franchise anymore. If they trade Pekovic for picks Love may opt out after next season and leave them high and dry.Cousins is also intriguing.

Maybe the vet is Durant. Posted Image Would that be enough to entice Howard? Durant and Horford with Howard on the front line. So 17 &18 should get Durant, right?

• Like 4

EDIT: Maybe Cousins...

I don't think Peks can be traded on draft night. I think after the draft during free agency we would have to work out a SNT for him.

• Like 1

What about Love ? He does not want to be around a rebuilding franchise anymore. If they trade Pekovic for picks Love may opt out after next season and leave them high and dry.

Cousins is also intriguing.

They just turned down the #1 pick, Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters for Love so I doubt we have anything to offer. Not to mention Love and Horford don't fit well together unless we're sticking with the small lineup of Al at C.

Cousins would be awesome though!

I don't think Peks can be traded on draft night. I think after the draft during free agency we would have to work out a SNT for him.

Right you are! Damn it's easy to forget these things.

Maybe the vet is Durant. Posted Image Would that be enough to entice Howard? Durant and Horford with Howard on the front line. So 17 &18 should get Durant, right?

Just cause you're a Dolphin fan doesn't mean that your basketball team can get all the marquee players as well!

• Like 1

Well they're apparently rebuffing offers for Love right now from the Cavs. So who knows maybe they plan to keep Love and move Pek. I'm just picturing how awkward looking a C rotation of Pekovic and Pachulia will be. But I bet they'd be damn good friends!
Dolf, if by awkward you mean badass then I agree :)
  • Like 1