• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Before you "hate" on this years picks, look back on some anonymous member instant reactions from last year after the draft

Admin

Maybe some of you who tend to freak out every year when you don't know who players are can look at this and chill out until we've actually seen them play. Unlike last year when we took 'safe' players with limited potential, this year we did what you guys asked for and went for the 'homerun' types of potential players and yet these picks are still crapped on. I really wish that those of you who do that would make up your damn minds about what you want.

My guess is that Mike Scott (if he stays healthy) will have a bigger impact on this team than Jenkins. He won't be any where near a Paul Milsap...but he may not suck as bad as Shelden.But let's be a bit realistic about that - I think Scott will have some impact...but i doubt Jenkins will have any impact at all.I don't think Jenkins is an NBA level player.Grading this draft I would say - - C minus. An average of B+ for Scott and D- for Jenkins

Machado has really poor lateral quickness without the size of Marshall that is why he did not get drafted both are only back PG's though. Henry Sims is another big guy that does not do big guy stuff like rebound and block shots. Drew Gordon is better than Mike Scott but does not fill a need because we went with Scott. We messed this draft up by not drafting real talent in Moultrie, PJIII, and Wroten. Wroten will be a all star and those other two will be vastly superior to Jenkins.

The hawks just p*ssed me off. I was pretty sure that they would get Scott Machado then all of sudden i hear Mike Scott. WTF I would have be satisfied with at least Darius Miller or Henry Sims but Mike F*CKIN Scott!!!!! The ASG has to be making these decisions because this can't be Ferry.

Mike Scott?? Im sorry, but I hope he makes the squad this year. I understand that he was our best choice at that pick, but most second rounders never pan out. Especially with the Hawks. Check our history, outside of Solomon Jones and maybe Royal Ivey, we suck at second round picks.

John Jenkins is Pape Sy. The Hawks reaching thinking they are being smart only to end up looking dumb

I gave myself a day to find something more valuable than frustration and disappointment to express regarding John Jenkins and Mike Scott being the 23rd and 43rd selections in the 2012 NBA Draft.

Jenkins is strictly a shooter.... but a great one. Still would have taken Perry Jones. Even if he is a failure, his potential makes him worth more as far as trade value is concerned.

The preacher at my church league was one of the purest shooters I have ever seen. He could launch a two handed shot from chest high and (swear to gosh) - hit 50% from near half court. IT WAS AMAZING....swish, swish, swish.Of course nobody ever guarded him out there because it would be an insult to guard the preacher way out there.Maybe the other NBA players will give the same decency to Jenkins and not guard him on long shots either.

• Like 2

This draft is far worse than last year's draft.

Save this statement, and throw it back in my face if I'm wrong.

Personally, I'm not happy AT ALL with the direction Ferry went in tonight. But because these are "new" players, they'll get the benefit of the doubt regardless . . . until Summer League starts. Then people will either overreact because of how bad they played, or overreact because of how well they played.

I remember when people absolutely loved Pape Sy on here.

We all love a scrub . . . until they actually prove that they are really scrubs.

D+ draft tonight.

And Meanwhile . . . Nets fans are salivating, talking championship with the blockbuster move they made.

Hope Ferry does the right thing in Free Agency. If not, the road back to mediocrity may be a long one.

SMH @ Ferry.

• Like 1

Hindsight is 20/20... I wanted a center so bad last year that I was ready to use the 23rd pick on Elezi and most on here were praying for PJ3. I admit I hated last years draft but once I took a step back and watched vids on these guys, I saw why DF drafted them. Saw a vid of Scott draining three's and Jenkins showing why he was noted as one of the best shooters in the draft. I could see that Jenkins was Dell Curry and Scott was going to be our Haslem. I now love our 2012 draft picks. I believe a lot of the hate comes from not only a lack of education of these guys but also because we read too much into the flashy picks. This is why Ferry is the GM and not the members of Hawksquawk. It takes a real eye to see talent and that "X" factor in a guy that distinguishes him from the rest. Makes me anxious for summer league to see what these guys can do. Anxious to see:C - Bebe/MuscalaPF- ScottSF - ???SG - JenkinsPG - Schröder/Mackout in Summer League. IFWT.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QFT!

• Like 2

Hawks wanted and needed a center. We drafted two of 'em.

Jeff Teague was in need of a good PG behind him. Got him.

If both centers make the squad, does this mean the end of Zaza here?

And, that other center we had last season? Yep. Yet, the age difference

here is quiet a bit and these centers both have that dreaded "Potential"

attached to their profile. Both are in need of weight and strength but are

both young enough that this shouldn't be a big problem if they have the

frame to carry the extra size.

Notice in their profile that both are said to be quick. Nice. Seven foot and

quick. Both are shot blockers and that second round pick, M&M, impresses

me presonally when he's hit over 80% from the free throw line. Yeah!

Back up PG behind JT? Why not. This has been a problem and we've solved

it in the draft if we are to believe reports. Speed and quickness. Needing to

mature but loaded with talent.

What's not to like in this year's draft?

GO HAWKS

I'm stoked to see Schröder play. He is like 19, I would love to see us actually develop players. I'm just waiting for summer league I hope they both play

• Like 2

Maybe some of you who tend to freak out every year when you don't know who players are can look at this and chill out until we've actually seen them play. Unlike last year when we took 'safe' players with limited potential, this year we did what you guys asked for and went for the 'homerun' types of potential players and yet these picks are still crapped on. I really wish that those of you who do that would make up your damn minds about what you want.

I clearly preferred Dieng over Nogueira, but that’s not necessarily because I think Dieng has more potential. I think Dieng’s floor is 10ppg 10rbg 2+ BPG 3apg and an excellent defender. I don’t believe the hawks need any more than this from their center position. Nogueira is a risky pick for I believe his floor is much lower and he’s sort of an underachiever already. We’ve heard about the motor issues and the diva attitude in scouting reports. How many big guys that aren’t overweight change their motor when they get into the NBA? With all that being said, Danny has seen these players more closely than you or I, so I trust Danny Ferry if he likes Nogueira better. I wouldn't say I have a problem with the picks; I have more of a problem with the execution of the picks. I believe we could have gotten Noguiera and Schröder at 17 & 18 without sacrificing a 2nd round pick. This mistake IMO was compounded by how willing teams in the back half of the first round and early 2nd round were willing to trade down. What if we stay pat in the first round and use our two 2nd round picks to trade up and take guys that fell? Rudy Gobert, Archie Goodwin, Glen Rice Jr, Toney Mitchell, Jamaal Franklin. These are high potential developmental guys we could have traded up and taken. This is what I think happened. Larry Drew got the last laugh on us and took Giannis Antetokounmpo whom we really wanted, so we panicked because we knew Dallas wanted to move their pick. We were afraid the Bucks or another team would trade for pick 16 and pick 1 of the other players we coveted. There is literally no other scenario I can make up in my mind that explains why we would trade up 1 spot from our own pick. Clearly Dallas didn’t want Nogueira or they wouldn’t have traded us pick 16.

I clearly preferred Dieng over Nogueira, but that’s not necessarily because I think Dieng has more potential. I think Dieng’s floor is 10ppg 10rbg 2+ BPG 3apg and an excellent defender. I don’t believe the hawks need any more than this from their center position. Nogueira is a risky pick for I believe his floor is much lower and he’s sort of an underachiever already. We’ve heard about the motor issues and the diva attitude in scouting reports. How many big guys that aren’t overweight change their motor when they get into the NBA? With all that being said, Danny has seen these players more closely than you or I, so I trust Danny Ferry if he likes Nogueira better. I wouldn't say I have a problem with the picks; I have more of a problem with the execution of the picks. I believe we could have gotten Noguiera and Schröder at 17 & 18 without sacrificing a 2nd round pick. This mistake IMO was compounded by how willing teams in the back half of the first round and early 2nd round were willing to trade down. What if we stay pat in the first round and use our two 2nd round picks to trade up and take guys that fell? Rudy Gobert, Archie Goodwin, Glen Rice Jr, Toney Mitchell, Jamaal Franklin. These are high potential developmental guys we could have traded up and taken. This is what I think happened. Larry Drew got the last laugh on us and took Giannis Antetokounmpo whom we really wanted, so we panicked because we knew Dallas wanted to move their pick. We were afraid the Bucks or another team would trade for pick 16 and pick 1 of the other players we coveted. There is literally no other scenario I can make up in my mind that explains why we would trade up 1 spot from our own pick. Clearly Dallas didn’t want Nogueira or they wouldn’t have traded us pick 16.

That assumption is fine and probably correct that we could have gotten those guys, except it was reported at the time that we weren't the only team trying to get that 16th pick from Dallas. In addition to that, I believe that Danny really wanted Cunningham, a 1st round pick from 2012 who would have been a top 20 pick in this years draft. I'm not sure why people are overlooking that fact.

Im not going to be negative because Ive never heard of the guys we picked and youtube is no nba scout. I just hope we dont regret not taking Larkin for ourselves. Also I dont thonk we sacrificed any picks. We traded our 2nd round picks to Utah and Miami in separate deals. We didnt lose anything dealing with Dallas except cap space.

• Moderators

I know nothing about these guys but frankly I know little about most college players. Its very curious to me though that we grabbed guys who might not even come to the nba this year when we only have 3 players under contract. We've got a LOT of signing to do. If Josh isn't re-signed Al's going to feel like he's in a pickup game when camp starts.

• Premium Member

Im not going to be negative because Ive never heard of the guys we picked and youtube is no nba scout. I just hope we dont regret not taking Larkin for ourselves. Also I dont thonk we sacrificed any picks. We traded our 2nd round picks to Utah and Miami in separate deals. We didnt lose anything dealing with Dallas except cap space.

Larkin is a midget, damnit!

He´s useless, just like Westbrook... oh wait!

Jokes aside, I'm perfectly fine with the players we got in the draft. I was hoping for some internetional talent and we got a lot of it. Personally I'd rather have Giannis and Rudy Gobert, but I'm Brazilian and I love German culture, so what's not to like? Didn't think Schröder would fall on our laps.

DAMN YOU LARRY DREW! Posted Image

I wouldn't say I have a problem with the picks; I have more of a problem with the execution of the picks. I believe we could have gotten Noguiera and Schröder at 17 & 18 without sacrificing a 2nd round pick. This mistake IMO was compounded by how willing teams in the back half of the first round and early 2nd round were willing to trade down. What if we stay pat in the first round and use our two 2nd round picks to trade up and take guys that fell? Rudy Gobert, Archie Goodwin, Glen Rice Jr, Toney Mitchell, Jamaal Franklin. These are high potential developmental guys we could have traded up and taken.

?

Not sure we sacrificed anything at all. I mibght be wrong, for the draft was really crazy, but I think Raul Neto (another Brazilian prospect) was traded to the Jazz and 50th was traded to the cHeat, so probably DF didn't think we would need the picks right now. Not a problem to me.

That assumption is fine and probably correct that we could have gotten those guys, except it was reported at the time that we weren't the only team trying to get that 16th pick from Dallas. In addition to that, I believe that Danny really wanted Cunningham, a 1st round pick from 2012 who would have been a top 20 pick in this years draft. I'm not sure why people are overlooking that fact.

That's a good point Dolfan. Cunningham is an interesting prospect. I wonder if he'll play the Gary Neal role? I really like the Schröder pick because I don't want to overpay Teague. This guy is the anti Teague. He fights through screens and appears to have natural PG instincts. He just needs to get stronger and used to playing through contact.

• Like 2

There isn't anything I don't like about this draft. The only pick I didn't like was picking the guy from Long Beach instead of Deshaun Thomas. I think he got pick by the Spurs and we know how they develop talent.

To think that a 7 foot athletic beanpole (no matter what his upside) can come right in and replace Zaza in the rough and tumble NBA is folly. Better re-up Zaza.

I've calmed down some from last night so will switch my grade to: "incomplete". Cunningham might turn out to be a good addition.

I didn't really have an issue with this year's draft at all to be honest... I actually mentioned Schröder in a topic awhile ago but I just assumed he was goin' to the Jazz. Don't know anything about Nogueira but at least we got Cunningham who came from a ridiculously talented draft class...

What's funny is the number of fans that criticized the Hawks last year for not taking the high upside Perry Jones Jr, but this year they are criticizing them for taking the high upside Nogueira and Schröder.

• Like 3

That's a good point Dolfan. Cunningham is an interesting prospect. I wonder if he'll play the Gary Neal role? I really like the Schröder pick because I don't want to overpay Teague. This guy is the anti Teague. He fights through screens and appears to have natural PG instincts. He just needs to get stronger and used to playing through contact.

The "anti-Teague" huh?

I'll admit that I had SERIOUS doubts about Teague's heart when he first came into the league. But his talent and potential was always there.

There is no way in hell that "Dennis the Menace" is a better prospect than what Jeff Teague was in 2009, in a very PG heavy draft. Dennis is a better passer and defender ( vs the talent he played against ). Teague is far superior offensively and much more athletic. Overall, Teague is hands down the better player.

That slow wind-up jumper that Dennis has, may result in him not even being able to get his shot off in the NBA. And if the only way he scores is by slashing to the basket, or by shooting spot-up 3s, his potential is going to be limited as hell. Right now, Dennis' potential is a defensive backup PG at best, ala Tony Wroten in Memphis.

Yeah, Teague sold us out in the playoffs . . . as did everyone else outside of Al Horford . . . but don't forget how far this guy has come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MB57yD_PT8

What's funny is the number of fans that criticized the Hawks last year for not taking the high upside Perry Jones Jr, but this year they are criticizing them for taking the high upside Nogueira and Schröder.

It's like what the bigtime sports pundits do. They make their "epic predictions"...then the games are played and they are proven dead wrong...but that doesn't bother them...they just move on to their next "epic prediction" Posted Image