• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Before you "hate" on this years picks, look back on some anonymous member instant reactions from last year after the draft

Admin

D+ draft tonight.

And Meanwhile . . . Nets fans are salivating, talking championship with the blockbuster move they made.

Hope Ferry does the right thing in Free Agency. If not, the road back to mediocrity may be a long one.

SMH @ Ferry.

The Nets just mortgaged their entire future for a team that won't sniff a title. Sorry, but I don't want any part of that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

This draft has DF cap space saver written all over it. Bebe will be stashed in Brazil for a few seasons and Cunningham will be cut which will save us about $2.6 mil in cap. We literally added less than $2 mil in cap last night which says to me that Danny IS in win-now mode. He plans to spend that cap on free agents and he trying to make D12/Paul as big of a possibility as possible. I think Schröder will be our backup PG next season and Muscala will add depth to the center position either as a third center behind Zaza or more likely as Zaza's replacement.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 1

First of all, and Im sure Ferry has done this, I would have my list of free agent targets. I would evaluate who we have a chance to sign - my opinion is we are not getting Paul or Howard - but maybe Ferry knows we are. If the FA players we want will not come then I would go after a vet via trade and use the draft picks. Peckovic of Minnesota is one of those vet players I would be after because they are not going to keep him and Love together and Love will be harder to move.

I would also be very interest in Pek, but we have caps pace to offer him a contract, no need to trade picks for him.

We will see what Ferry can do. Taking high risk prospects overseas over a guy like Larkin and or Dieng is a gamble but thats what the draft is and Ferry knows he has the time to wait for them to develope because of the investment and trust ASG have in him. I will never say in Ferry we trust but I also wont attack him. His best move has been to capitolize on the stupidity of Billy King. Im still on the wait and see approach.

The Nets just mortgaged their entire future for a team that won't sniff a title. Sorry, but I don't want any part of that.

Isn't that what was said last year, when people thought they couldn't improve? Don't you guys get it yet?

By acquiring Pierce and Garnett, they have 2 years in which they can possibly get the most out of their current talent while most are at or near their prime. Then when they move on, they'll now have a huge expiring contract in Joe Johnson that they deal off to a team wanting to rebuild, or get out from under a few contracts.

What the Nets are doing, is actually setting themselves up as a destination that is attractive to free agents. As long as they win and stay somewhat competitive, they'll do just that. That's why a team like the Lakers never really needed 1st round picks, and would freely deal those 1st round picks in various trades.

I mean, I don't get it. The Nets are going for it now, but may have problems 3 years from now. The Hawks may not be going for it now, but will be better 3 years from now.

How is the Hawks situation any better than the Nets situation, when the Nets are trying to do now, what the Hawks want to do in the future?

• Like 1

Please name the wiley veteran who is/was available that you would have liked us to trade or cap space and picks for! ( I can't think who that would be offhand)

It doesn't matter who I name, outside of Dwight Howard or Chris Paul, it will be rejected by Hawksquawk and looked at as a bad thing. I could say Dwyane Wade and people would be against it.

You and I both know that Dwight Howard isn't coming here. And if he's not coming here, Chris Paul isn't coming her either. So it's either draft players who can play right now to help us . . . or trade those picks in a package for someone who can help us.

I personally do not like the players that we picked. There were better, more NBA ready players that could've and should've been chosen. If neither of those two guys are ready for the NBA right now, why did we even pick them? That's essentially wasting the picks.

Hopefully for all of our sakes, both are ready to enter the NBA this season, and can show us what they got as players.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Ok...i'm reading some of the replies here and I'm confused.

#1. Why is anyone surprised Ferry took international players? It was an open secret that Ferry was looking at them for exactly the reasons I gave earlier: you can play them if you lose out on the free agents or keep them overseas as the salary won't count against the cap.

#2. This franchise has been in desperate need IMO of two things since the days of Deke and Mookie: the next Deke and Mookie. We need a real center and a real point guard (I don't like Teague) and he fills two NEED positions with guys with potential coming out the ears.

#3. Who exactly did you realistically expect him to draft? All the more sure bets were off the board and anyone not playing overseas would count against our cap. Ferry avoided that. As he should.

#4. Mad about the second round guy? Why? He's not a guaranteed contract and we can waive him at any time for cap space.

#5. For some reason you need five reasons to number a list of reasons to end on. This talk about the franchise settling for not being a contender...what?? Ferry wants to sign the big names and he has the cap room to do it. If that does not work which realistically it will not then guess what? We bring over the young guys let them develop. Why can't those who disagree see this?

• Like 4

Ok...i'm reading some of the replies here and I'm confused.

#1. Why is anyone surprised Ferry took international players? It was an open secret that Ferry was looking at them for exactly the reasons I gave earlier: you can play them if you lose out on the free agents or keep them overseas as the salary won't count against the cap.

#2. This franchise has been in desperate need IMO of two things since the days of Deke and Mookie: the next Deke and Mookie. We need a real center and a real point guard (I don't like Teague) and he fills two NEED positions with guys with potential coming out the ears.

#3. Who exactly did you realistically expect him to draft? All the more sure bets were off the board and anyone not playing overseas would count against our cap. Ferry avoided that. As he should.

#4. Mad about the second round guy? Why? He's not a guaranteed contract and we can waive him at any time for cap space.

#5. For some reason you need five reasons to number a list of reasons to end on. This talk about the franchise settling for not being a contender...what?? Ferry wants to sign the big names and he has the cap room to do it. If that does not work which realistically it will not then guess what? We bring over the young guys let them develop. Why can't those who disagree see this?

And what exactly did those Deke and Mookie teams win?

These guys were selected in the middle of the first round in a weak draft. I hope they end up being good players but its pure comedy to read how some Hawks fans act like these dudes are going to be complete studs already. Can we please wait and see..

The funny thing about Schröder is that he has some of the same issues Teague has, a terrible finisher and he turns the ball over a lot. He also had no midrange game and is terrible shooting off the dribble.

Hawks fans get nrew toys and are ready to throw the old ones away. Schröder might end up being more Darren Collison than Rondo. Is Collison an upgrade over Teague? Nope

• Like 1

We knew. We all knew. Before the draft, it was obvious.

Some Hawksquawk posters will love what happened in the draft.

Some will take a "Wait and see" attitude.

Some will hate every move and be sure that they personally could have

done so much better than our own GM.

And, it's happened, just like we knew it would. Didn't know who would

be where in the equasion. We just knew it was coming.

Remember, "it ain't over until it's over" and free agency hasn't opened yet.

With our GM, a new head coach and an almost empty roster, did anyone

expect the same old same old? I didn't. I just have this to say:

GO HAWKS!!

• Like 2

This draft is far worse than last year's draft.

Save this statement, and throw it back in my face if I'm wrong.

Personally, I'm not happy AT ALL with the direction Ferry went in tonight. But because these are "new" players, they'll get the benefit of the doubt regardless . . . until Summer League starts. Then people will either overreact because of how bad they played, or overreact because of how well they played.

I remember when people absolutely loved Pape Sy on here.

We all love a scrub . . . until they actually prove that they are really scrubs.

D+ draft tonight.

And Meanwhile . . . Nets fans are salivating, talking championship with the blockbuster move they made.

Hope Ferry does the right thing in Free Agency. If not, the road back to mediocrity may be a long one.

SMH @ Ferry.

Lmao at the Nets. Championship because they added Pierce and Garnett? Wow. Almost 100 million $ a year for the starting 5, and still wont be that much better than the Hawks. lol

• Like 1

that nets team is EXTREMELY slow and old. young athletic teams will feast against them. I put that team on the same tier as the bulls team with derrick rose and the pacers.

they will be lucky to make it to the playoffs in one piece.

Edited by yungsta

This draft is an utter failure.

No Machado, No Yi Jianlian. What are we going to do without these guaranteed superstars?

• Like 4

What are the odds that Nets team is healthy by the time the playoffs roll around?

Lopez already having foot surgery, Joe's plantar whatever will flare up again, KG's had ankle issues last season, Pierce looked really slow last season, will Deron be able to distribute the ball to all those players effectively? They are also looking into bringing in Jason Collins on a vet min contract. Who else they have?

Totally agree with Sothron.

This draft was great strategy. Flexibility while getting huge potential. The first rounders have potential to be starters, and the other guys could be rotational players. I'm a fan of what we did.

The Nets, um. I guess they got what they wanted. I see paper champion that turns out more like the Lakers team of last year than the Heat or 2008 Celtics. The owner is showing he will be like Mark Cuban. He's gonna keep spending and will either end up like the Allen Houston Knicks or a steady playoff team.

• Like 2

Looks like the nets are the most can't miss championship contender since that time the Lakers brought in Nash and d12 to play alongside Kobe.

Or that time they brought in Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

Some of us are giving DF a high level trust from the jump. I don't understand why. Given what he's done (or not done) he should be starting from level of distrust.Please don't tell me how he traded the untradable Joe Johnson. The whole world knows Deron Williams made that deal happen.gotta show me something before I drink the kool aid.

I don't know about D Williams being an Atlanta Hawks executive. Odd that you would give such credit to a player on a different team more credit than you would your GM who would have to pull the trigger on any deal, regardless who wants it.

Plain and simple its like this: Ferry in his first year has been far more competent than any other GM in the hawks past 20 years already. I'm in no way ready to sign my AARP papers and hit up the golden corral's weekly special, but I remember back to when we couldn't wait to get out of the Babcock era, the B.K. era, noticing, however slight that Sund was an upgrade from the previous GMs, and now we have Ferry. No way a GM gets it right 100% of the time, so if that's what everybody wants then it's always going to be a let down. But if you look at Ferry's track record, he has to be considered one of the most successful GM over the past several years. Anytime he has moved on to a new team it's been on his accord. Everybody talks about the spurs, but its DF handprint in the mix. Even with Cleveland Danny imprint has set them up for success. So why not be optimistic? Has he made a wrong move yet? I wouldn't say so.

Because we haven't had much success, it's easy to see why so many members here just jump aboard whatever philosophy the next team has. A month ago it OKC, or Memphis, then it became the Pacers, then the Spurs, and now the Nets. So that's why you have to take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt. It's all just everyone venting and wish anyway.

the most important thing to take out of this is Danny got exactly who he wanted without sacrificing the future be it next wk or next yr. If there was a problem with that then I would mind more. He clearly wanted those two guys. And when was the last time any of our gm's drafted a NEED??? Kudos just for that for once!! The ability to communicate with other teams efficiently without getting taken to the cleaners and have MULTIPLE OPTIONS to move to is something that can't be said and should be recognized.

Chess > checkers ladies and gents.