• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why should I or anyone else for that matter buy season tix?

Vol4ever

Unfortunately I don't live in Atlanta or anywhere close to it, if I did, I'd be a season tix holder. Nevertheless I've purchased the nba package for as long as its been available, even in 2004 when we won 13 games I still paid to watch a veteran Antoine walker and a wide eyed rookie with hops in smoove. I understand the frustration but the Hawks are my team and as New Yorkers often say, it is what it is.

The only reason I can see to buy a season ticket is if I can and want to go to all (or at least most) of the games. What I don't get Vol is why you would even consider buying tickets to 41 games when you only drive down for several a year?

I've probably made it to something like 5-10 games for the past few seasons. I greatly prefer a flex plan type deal where you can pick your games. The Gladiators (local minor league hockey) has the best deal - you get vouichers and just show up on game day and get the best seats available in your price range. The Hawks probably don't have more than a few sellouts a year, if any, so it would never be a problem getting seats. Dream also have a flex plan which works out pretty good, but you have to ask for the tickets two days in advance.

Buying on Stubhub is the next best option - tickets can be really cheap, though sometimes you have to buy more than you need (e.g. 4 when you need 3 or something.)

Edited by Randy

Like some others have said, this is a weird year to finally be down on the team. Unless you were biting really hard on the Howard/Paul hype. This is the first time I've really had confidence in the team's direction. The win total probably isn't going to change much from the last several years, but now we actually have flexibility and room to grow. Plus, win or lose, I think our games on average will be less frustrating than what we've become accustomed to.

yep I had a good feeling back with Nique, Roundfield, Tree and company. We havent been competitive for years. Time for you youngins to be diehard and I will check in from time to time

Fair enough, Nique was before my time. I'm just surprised it took this season to sway you. Like you say, we haven't been competitive in ages. This season isn't new in that regard.

Having said that, I could see this team winning a lot of regular season games. The playoffs are a different animal.

• Premium Member

Fair enough, Nique was before my time. I'm just surprised it took this season to sway you. Like you say, we haven't been competitive in ages. This season isn't new in that regard. Having said that, I could see this team winning a lot of regular season games. The playoffs are a different animal.

16 teams get into the playoffs, that should be a given for the Hawks. I'm still bummed about the offseason. DF had capspace and draft picks and came away without much IMO. I know the majority of you have drank the kool-aid and that is fine but I have not. Before you go off we all know that Dwight Howard was not coming here and neither was Chris Paul, but a damn good GM would have made the right trades with the assets he had. Don't throw that old line out there Of what trades would I have made, because neither you or I are GM's.It's a train wreck IMO. As for the 41 games, I Tavel to Atlanta a lot on business.
  • Like 1

16 teams get into the playoffs, that should be a given for the Hawks. I'm still bummed about the offseason. DF had capspace and draft picks and came away without much IMO.I know the majority of you have drank the kool-aid and that is fine but I have not. Before you go off we all know that Dwight Howard was not coming here and neither was Chris Paul, but a damn good GM would have made the right trades with the assets he had. Don't throw that old line out there Of what trades would I have made, because neither you or I are GM's.It's a train wreck IMO. As for the 41 games, I Tavel to Atlanta a lot on business.

I dont travel to Atlanta a lot on business but I agree with the rest

I was close to buying season tix for the first time this year, and I'm glad I didn't waste my money. What should have been the most important off-season in Hawks history was a complete bore, and I wonder how many games I'll even attend, besides the home opener.

• Like 1

• Moderators

In what alternate universe where Elton Brand is the only player in the league is he still an All Star in 2013? I guess the Hawks should have counted T Mac as a multiple All Star when he was here for his cup of coffee then.

When do you cease being an all-star? Horford isn't an All star either then. I never said he was currently an all star level player but he's still capable. Would you rather have a former all star like Brand coming off your bench at this stage of his career or Etan Thomas, Jason Collins, or Johan Petro at the same stage of their career. I'll take the former All star any day. As for Tmac. He was washed up. If you think Brand is that far gone then I think you'll be surprised. Or I will. Who knows.

Ferry may or may not be a great GM, but he's definitely not a magician. Howard and Paul were the only "available" players who could have turned us into serious contenders.

That and we didn't have great picks (I have no idea what damage you are attempting to do with the 17th and 18th pick in what was universally billed as a monumentally weak draft) or valued players.....or just players, period, under contract beside Al and Louis to explore making a big trade that would jump the team up into that contender status. Teams aren't just trading stars or impact players for pure cap space either so really this thread is just one terribly misinformed rant.

It is practically disingenuous to say "cap and draft picks, something should get done!" I would expect that kind of nonsense from some outsider but from a Hawk fan? Especially one that posts on this site regularly? C'mon, you don't have to play the "who would you trade for?" game you can just take the easier approach and start with "what do you have to trade?". I thought that keen asset evaluation would be a prerequisite for a businessman?

Sure we are talking about what is considered a game to us but the NBA actually is a business itself, so we should take the time to apply the similar logic that we would utilize in our real lives and for our real jobs. You can't just claim "cap space and draft picks" is greatly valuable by itself without looking at the details any differently than you would say "all goods are extremely valuable, be they #2 pencils or crude oil".

I'm sorry if this post may come off as a bit combative but it is a tad frustrating to read a rant such as this considering the amount of bandwith that was spent discussing the outcome of this offseason before July ever rolled around. All details on what Ferry wasn't able to get done has been exhausted and the debate has since moved on to what Ferry is looking to get done from here on (I.E. that big ole tanking thread stickied at the top).

Edited by MaceCase

• Moderators

When do you cease being an all-star? Horford isn't an All star either then. I never said he was currently an all star level player but he's still capable. Would you rather have a former all star like Brand coming off your bench at this stage of his career or Etan Thomas, Jason Collins, or Johan Petro at the same stage of their career. I'll take the former All star any day. As for Tmac. He was washed up. If you think Brand is that far gone then I think you'll be surprised. Or I will. Who knows.

I think when the focus of the thread is on what to expect to see from the 2013-14 Hawks, that you should only refer to players as All-Stars if they have a reasonable shot at being an All-Star in an Atlanta uniform.

T-Mac was more washed up than Brand but Brand's % chance of being an All-Star this season is about equal to T-Mac's during his time in Atlanta.

Brand should be a productive role player, likely coming off the bench.

IMO, we have one player who has a good shot at being an All-Star this season: Al Horford. We then have several guys who could be pretty good, most notably Teague and Milsap.

• Like 1

I think Shredder in the second half of the season (or whenever he bounces back from that rookie wall) will be the most consistently entertaining player we've seen since Jamal. He's coming into the league with fully developed, almost All-Star-level court vision in the bag, or as he would say "I had that already". That combined with Al and Kyle's consistency should be worth a package if you're a True Fan.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

2 allstars?

Im not gonna rehash the argument about the offseason. I think the stands will be empty this season without the star the more casual fan who buys tickets wants. There are a handful of diehard Hawk fans that wouldn't fill a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant. The ones that pay for tickets don't want middle of the road teams. I spoke to a fellow businessman this past weekend in Indianapolis and he has had 10 season tix for over 15 years, but he is done with the inept organization.

I just came into say - some things never change. This thread is like a time warp. The same people bitching about the team and its management that always bitch about them. Change the year on the timestamp of this post and it wouldn't matter.

For me, I quietly wrote off the old Hawks core as not-good-enough-to-contend (at least without shaking up the "core") after the lockout. I recognized that the Chicago series was the high watermark of that squad. This summer represents the first time I'm interested to see what the Hawks do in over two years. They are rebuilding on the fly, which is a hell of a lot better than throwing the entire team to the trash heap and praying that you win the lottery and land a superstar in the Top 3 of the draft. They have guys who play hard and play the right way.

My only gripe is that our coach drinks and drives and doesn't take responsibility for his actions. To be blunt, that's a terrible example to set for the community. And if you don't care about that, then care about this - fighting the charge will end up being a distraction for the team the entire season. If I'm Danny Ferry, I tell Bud "plead guilty, own up to what you did, and put this behind you. Otherwise, get the hell out."

But...I'm very interested to see what our players can do.

• Moderators

I just came into say - some things never change. This thread is like a time warp. The same people bitching about the team and its management that always bitch about them. Change the year on the timestamp of this post and it wouldn't matter.

For me, I quietly wrote off the old Hawks core as not-good-enough-to-contend (at least without shaking up the "core") after the lockout. I recognized that the Chicago series was the high watermark of that squad. This summer represents the first time I'm interested to see what the Hawks do in over two years. They are rebuilding on the fly, which is a hell of a lot better than throwing the entire team to the trash heap and praying that you win the lottery and land a superstar in the Top 3 of the draft. They have guys who play hard and play the right way.

My only gripe is that our coach drinks and drives and doesn't take responsibility for his actions. To be blunt, that's a terrible example to set for the community. And if you don't care about that, then care about this - fighting the charge will end up being a distraction for the team the entire season. If I'm Danny Ferry, I tell Bud "plead guilty, own up to what you did, and put this behind you. Otherwise, get the hell out."

But...I'm very interested to see what our players can do.

On ethical grounds I agree totally, but he consulted his lawyer and the lawyer knows that in GA he can make this go away. The whole thing will be resolved on or before the 15th of October with very little repercussions. Hopefully he will redeem himself in some way.

Even without the Dui, coaching was the thing I was most concerned with. Bud won't necessarily be a good coach just because he's a great x and o guy. (anyone old enough to remember the falcons Leeman Bennett to Dan Henning coaching change?).

I remember it, Mac. The infamous 'we've reached a plateau' speech that Rankin Sr. made after losing in the playoffs and getting rid of Bennett in '82. Everyone in town knew that was a mistake but it dwarfed in comparison to hiring Joe Gibbs' lackey in Henning. The team was still competitive when Bennett was fired but by the time Henning was let go, they were so bad that they would've had a hard time keeping up with Georgia State. So when I hear of younger Falcon fans complain after winning a game 24-17, it really makes me cringe a little. Those guys just don't know how good they've got it right now...

• Like 1