• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Corner Kick for Arthur Blank

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

http://deadspin.com/reports-atlanta-likely-to-get-an-mls-team-1307409821

Local and national reports say MLS is relatively close to an agreement with Falcons owner Arthur Blank to bring an MLS expansion team to Atlanta, one of the five new franchises coming in the next seven years. The two would share the billion-dollar retractable domed stadium—aka, "The Sphincter"—that's scheduled to be completed in 2017.

At this summer's all-star game, MLS commissioner Don Garber announced plans for an aggressive expansion that would make MLS the largest top-tier soccer league in the world. In addition to NYCFC, which intends to start play in 2015, four new teams are expected to begin play before 2020. Orlando is almost certain to be one of them, and a Miami side—part-owned by David Beckham—appears to be preferred by the league. Garber said this week that three of the four expansion cities are "already spoken for." That third appears to be Atlanta.

It's not clear whether it would be the NASL's Silverbacks, or an entirely new team.

I love the Silverbacks (shameless plug: the NASL's Soccer Bowl will be here in November) and would miss the heck out of Silverbacks Park. But as long as Arthur Blank's behind this effort, I suspect this would turn into a nice draw at the new stadium by 2018.

What would you prefer as a name for an Atlanta MLS team? I can't really get with the Sporting/FC/Real/United names. I like "Aliens," but for various reasons I know that would never go over well.

~lw3

• Moderators

That's tough. I like sticking with bird names put pretty much you're left with Golden Eagles as far as predator birds go. Chiefs is a damn good name with history but i'm guessing they'll avoid native american symbols. Coyotes. We have lots of them. Crackers is a good name with history too, jk.

I like the Atlanta Terminus. Hard to do a mascot for that though.

• Moderators

That's tough. I like sticking with bird names put pretty much you're left with Golden Eagles as far as predator birds go. Chiefs is a damn good name with history but i'm guessing they'll avoid native american symbols. Coyotes. We have lots of them. Crackers is a good name with history too, jk.

I like the Atlanta Terminus. Hard to do a mascot for that though.

The mascot could be a termite! :-)

Just last year the Silverbacks broached the subject of changing the name to the historic Chiefs (before the '95 Braves, the last pro team to win any championship here, back in '68) via fan voting, but Silverbacks prevailed in what they said was a close vote. If Blank's running the show, I doubt he'll take the risk of prying any discord as an owner in the NFL, who's already breathing on Daniel Snyder.

As for birds, the city logo is a phoenix, but Atlanta Phoenix could get awkward if Arizona ever got one of these. Maybe Firebirds as a workaround? Falcons 'n Firebirds... nice ring to it. Or even Freebirds, for the Lynyrd Skynyrd fans out there (they recorded their hit over in Doraville).

~lw3

• Moderators

The mascot could be a termite! :-)

Just last year the Silverbacks broached the subject of changing the name to the historic Chiefs (before the '95 Braves, the last pro team to win any championship here, back in '68) via fan voting, but Silverbacks prevailed in what they said was a close vote. If Blank's running the show, I doubt he'll take the risk of prying any discord as an owner in the NFL, who's already breathing on Daniel Snyder.

As for birds, the city logo is a phoenix, but Atlanta Phoenix could get awkward if Arizona ever got one of these. Maybe Firebirds as a workaround? Falcons 'n Firebirds... nice ring to it. Or even Freebirds, for the Lynyrd Skynyrd fans out there (they recorded their hit over in Doraville).

~lw3

I like the Freebirds. That's a good one the intro will be awesome

Posted Image

• Like 1