The Beer Thread

AHF

• Moderators

I'm more worried about the fish bladder. That sounds disgusting!  Who the hell figures out that putting a fish bladder into the beer does something for it? And do they drain the bladder 1st or is the urine the special ingredient? 

Isinglass (/ˈzɪŋɡlæs/ or /ˈzɪŋɡlɑːs/) is a substance obtained from the dried swim bladders of fish. It is a form of collagen used mainly for the clarification of wine and beer. It can also be cooked into a paste for specialized gluing purposes.

Isinglass was originally made exclusively from sturgeon, especially Beluga sturgeon, until the 1795 invention by William Murdoch of a cheap substitute using cod. This was extensively used in Britain in place of Russian isinglass. The bladders, once removed from the fish, processed and dried, are formed into various shapes for use.

Isinglass finings are widely used as a processing aid in the British brewing industry to accelerate the fining, or clarification, of beer. They are used particularly in the production of cask-conditioned beers, known as real ale, although there are a few cask ales available which are not fined using isinglass. The finings flocculate the live yeast in the beer into a jelly-like mass, which settles to the bottom of the cask. Left undisturbed, beer will clear naturally; the use of isinglass finings accelerates the process. Isinglass is sometimes used with an auxiliary fining, which further accelerates the process of sedimentation.

• Like 1

Damn so they've been using that for hundreds of years and have never found a substitute??  Sometimes I marvel at humans though for figuring out stuff like this, especially back in the dark ages before the Internet :)

• Like 1

• Moderators

Damn so they've been using that for hundreds of years and have never found a substitute??  Sometimes I marvel at humans though for figuring out stuff like this, especially back in the dark ages before the Internet smile3.gif

Exactly.  Weird thing to figure out but I believe there is a substitute now because it isn't used everywhere.   It doesn't bother me really.  Its another part that would normally go to waste.   I'd be more concerned about corn syrup in my beer.

Exactly. Weird thing to figure out but I believe there is a substitute now because it isn't used everywhere. It doesn't bother me really. Its another part that would normally go to waste. I'd be more concerned about corn syrup in my beer.

Corn syrup is delicious :)

• 1 month later...

With all the sweetwater love in this thread , I have gotta throw a monkey wrench in there. Not an ATL native (Savannah) but I too do drink their beers on occasion. Not bad but much better here even in Georgia.

Terrapin is a much better brewer for us hops heads for sure. Even though I do love occasional porters/stouts on occasion. I just love damn beer okay.lol

• Like 1

• Moderators

With all the sweetwater love in this thread , I have gotta throw a monkey wrench in there. Not an ATL native (Savannah) but I too do drink their beers on occasion. Not bad but much better here even in Georgia.

Terrapin is a much better brewer for us hops heads for sure. Even though I do love occasional porters/stouts on occasion. I just love damn beer okay.lol

I tried their Hopinator brew and it was a bit hoppier than I like but a well done beer.  That Liquid Bliss brew sounds pretty interesting.  I'll have to get some next time I visit Atlanta.

• Moderators

I like sweetwater.  Some of them i like a lot but after 420, ga brown, and ipa all the rest just taste like some version of 420.   I like hoppy beers to a point but my complaint with terrapin is they seem to just make certain styles and throw a ton of hops in them whether it makes sense or not.   That recreation ale I had high hopes for but it seems like they made a budweiser and stuffed a bunch of hops in the can.   

I like sweetwater. Some of them i like a lot but after 420, ga brown, and ipa all the rest just taste like some version of 420. I like hoppy beers to a point but my complaint with terrapin is they seem to just make certain styles and throw a ton of hops in them whether it makes sense or not. That recreation ale I had high hopes for but it seems like they made a budweiser and stuffed a bunch of hops in the can.

Well IPA's are hoppy beers no real way around that. You will notice a lot of brewers who are fans of hops will add a little extra to every beer , even light ale's or lager's will have a little extra hop's. You either like the hops or you don't. As far as the Georgia Brown , great beer and sweet waters best IMO.

Edited by IheartFerry

I tried their Hopinator brew and it was a bit hoppier than I like but a well done beer. That Liquid Bliss brew sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to get some next time I visit Atlanta.

Oh it is interesting. Never had anything like and I have drank a ton of craft beers. When you first drink it it is like any porter but then the chocolate and peanut butter after taste hits. Its pretty insane lol. You will not be disappointed

Well Bud types are weirdos anyway, that stuff is nasty.  I pretty much only drink Shiner Bock and Killian's Irish Red or sometimes a Sam Adams but that's about it for me.  I'm simple but at least I like a good tasting beer and not that Bud / Miller nasty stuff.  And I'm usually a 2-3 beers during a game type, although that turned into 6 during Monday night's blowout loss.  

Lol.. Killian's is my fall back cheap beer. Cannot beat it for the price IMO

• Moderators

Speaking of malt beverages, I enjoyed some of this earlier this summer:

dogfish_head_palo_santo_marron.jpg

Very tasty, malty brew.  The Palo Santo Wood adds some real character to the flavor.  I would definitely get this again - especially if I could get it as part of a 'pick 6' pack for $12 like was able to do in a small town in Michigan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Don't know the accuracy here or when it was updated.   I think there is a growler place in downtown Duluth too.

http://www.beermenus.com/beers/terrapin-liquid-bliss

I looked on there too and it shows the nearest place selling a 6 pack is 30 miles away.  I haven't done the growler before so I might call and see how much they run for.  A half gallon is 64 ounces which is more than I put down in a 2-3 day period (which the internet says is the shelf life for a growler once opened) but I can check it out.

• Moderators

I looked on there too and it shows the nearest place selling a 6 pack is 30 miles away.  I haven't done the growler before so I might call and see how much they run for.  A half gallon is 64 ounces which is more than I put down in a 2-3 day period (which the internet says is the shelf life for a growler once opened) but I can check it out.

I have half growlers too.  So that's like 2.5 pints.  Not too bad.