• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Name the 5 guys you want the Hawks to take at 15

coachx

Thought it would be fun to see who you want the Hawks to take at #15.

Already had to edit my list TWICE

1. Nick Staukas - elite shooter, good length at SG, ready to contribute in year 1. Also the team leader, and go to scorer, on his team last season.

2. K.J. McDaniels - athletic freak, team leader and go to guy in college, elite defender. Would have been great to see how he played on a more talented roster where he was forced to be the go to guy.

3. Adreian Payne - athletic freak, 7'4'' wing span, can contribute in year 1. His weakness was a lack of a motor. It just same out that he was playing with a case of mono at the end of last season. That explains the weight loss and the lack of energy.
4. James Young - had a lot of redundant talent at UK with the Harrison twins. Elite measurables but never took control as the alpha dog on a very talented team. As true freshman that is not a major concern.

5. TJ Warren - I'm taking LaVine off my board in favor a true basketball player. Warren's production is elite. He is a SF / PF tweener but with the way the NBA is going that is sometimes a plus. Leading scorer in the ACC.

I would have McDermott #1 but don't think he will be gone by pick #10.

Edited by coachx

Good topic.

1. Young - probably unrealistic but it could happen.

2. McDaniels - pretty much same reasons as you.

3. LaVine - athletic shooter, potentially a rich man's (whoever that guy is we drafted but can't stay healthy)

4. Hood - solid contributor from day 1

5. Payne - another contributor from day 1. Not as good a prospect due to age but that was the knock on Taj Gibson and he's done quite well.

I was high on Stauskas but he seems like a Bellinelli-ceiling kind of guy.

If you made a top 5 guys you don't want, Grant would be #1 on my list. He's like a poor man's Amir Johnson which is really saying something since I can't stand Amir Johnson. I'd take CJ Fair over him.

Agree on Grant there's no way I'd take him with a 1st round pick as he'll always be a major liability on offense and he's not enough of a difference maker on defense to be worth playing him big minutes.

I haven't done enough research on the prospects yet to put together my own list but I'd guess Young would be near the top for me at this point.

• Like 1

1. Dario Saric

2. Zach LaVine

3. Doug McDermott

4. James Young

5. Rodney Hood

That's my list. They are now saying that Hood has very short arms which I don't like, but at the same time he still did his thing at Duke and reminds me of one of my fav non Hawks Rashard Lewis a lot.

If you made a top 5 guys you don't want, Grant would be #1 on my list. He's like a poor man's Amir Johnson which is really saying something since I can't stand Amir Johnson. I'd take CJ Fair over him.

Hood would be the guy I would not want at #15. I see him as nothing but a catch and shoot guy with no defense and he has no "dog" in him at all. He plays like he is sleep walking to me.

Agree on Grant at #15 too.............I was really reaching to come up with a 5th guy. His length give him some upside to be a very good defender at SF though.

• Like 1

Agree on Grant there's no way I'd take him with a 1st round pick as he'll always be a major liability on offense and he's not enough of a difference maker on defense to be worth playing him big minutes.

I haven't done enough research on the prospects yet to put together my own list but I'd guess Young would be near the top for me at this point.

I trust your judgment on Grant since I know you watched a lot more Syracuse games then I. For some reason he always stood out when I watched them as a guy with untapped potential.

I saw at least a dozen UK games and Young is really hard for me to get a handle on. Despite having 3 or 4 better players around him, at UK, his FG% was only 40%. The Harrison twins handled the ball more then he did too. I never watched a UK game and thought...........wow Young looks like one of the best players on the floor. He always just blended into the game rather then stick out.

Edited by coachx

Honestly I am not married to 15. I am good with trading down to get multiple players you like or trading up to get that one guy you think can be a major piece from day one. Also, McDermott and Stauskas are rated behind players like GRIII, McGary and Wilcox on my overall list but if I were married to 15 I would pick McDermott or Stauskas before GRIII, McGary or Wilcox because they have more value at 15 than GRIII, McGary or Wilcox.

T.J. Warren

James Young

Hood

McDermott

Stauskas

In that order if I were marrying 15.

• Premium Member

In no particular order:

1. Young

2. LaVine

3. Warren

4. Hood

5. McDermott

Sleepers:

GR III

KJ McDaniels

Any dynamic wing who can score will do fine for the Hawks. I'd prefer someone who can play both the SG and SF spots, but there aren't many of those guys available in this draft. I also like some of the 'freak' athletes like LaVine, GR III, and McDaniels because I think the Hawks could use a little elite athleticism on the perimeter.

I think there's a possibility of someone like McDermott, Saric, Gordon or maybe even Smart slipping, but I figured I wouldn't bet on that. Here we go...

1. Kyle Anderson: I'm really high on this dude as a combo 3-4. I've compared him to Diaw, but I think he'll be a rich man's Diaw which is a damn good player.

2. Nik Stauskas: His shooting, passing and handle will make him a solid 6th man at least. His upside is higher than that.

3. Lavine: All upside right now, but he's got a little bit of shake and bake to him and I really like that in a player (see the two guys listed ahead of him, haha). Nice shot, athletic. Will take some seasoning and needs to hit the weights. Reminds me of Gerald Green with a bit more explosiveness.

The last two are tougher. I want no part of Young, Hood, Grant or Warren. They're all pretty uninspiring to me. If the above 3 and the other guys mentioned above are all taken, I'd prefer to trade back and pick up a couple of Euros (Kristaps and Bogdanovic and Nurkic have some upside). Payne's ok but I have some misgivings about his game, so he'll be 4. 5 is a pure upside pick.

4. Payne

5. Bogdanovic

Edited by TheFuzz

1. KJ McDaniels

2. Zach Lavine

3. Rodney Hood

4. Kyle Anderson

5. Nick Staukus

I started watching James Young when he was attatched to us at 15 in mocks early in the season. His body language reminded me of Teague's bad body language and he was terrible on defense.

He looked much better in this game and if he can be this player. I'd put him in my top five.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSdzY5mLVU

This is a good game to watch. Adreian Payne vs Julius Randle. Some James Young vs. Gary Harris.

Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video.

Edited by AmishBoy

1. Zach LaVine - Best athelete in this draft outside of Wiggins, and already has a deadly jumper. Needs to improve defensively, bulken up some more, and try to become more consistent with creating his shot if he wants to be a future All-Star in this league.

2. Rodney Hood - He and McDermott are players who can already contribute to your team. He has a deadly stroke and attacks the rim at will. Not a freakish athlete, but he is a good one. Needs to improve ALOT more defensively to be a major starter in the NBA.

3. Dario Saric - He's probably going to be the best Euro Point-Forward the NBA will ever see. He has amazing offensive versatility, can attack inside and out, and has near elite court vision that he uses to find teammates for easy assists. There's a question mark as to what position he can play in the NBA, but it seems to me that he would thrive more as a SF than a PF.

4. Doug McDermott- Behind Jabari, he is the best scorer in this draft, and scoring is what this Hawks team needs.

5. James Young- Good athlete with great upside. Needs to improve his jumper to be a really good player in this league.

Edited by ATLHawks3
  • Like 1

Zach Lavine- Most potential and normally I wouldnt want a development player with this team but I have faith in this coaching staff to bring the beat out of Lavine. Him and Teague in the backcourt would be lethal athletically. He fills the danny green role until he can handle more duties.

James Young- I personally watched him closely since his 1st game at Kentucky and I can tell you he is clutch. Coach cal almost always went to him in critical moments. He has great length and has good all around skills but with his stroke, he can develop into an elite shooter. Very young and longterm seems like he could fitwith dennis well.

Nik Stauskas- defensively needs work but no worse than lou. Measured out with good size and his shot is probably the best of my 5 as of now. Beast in the pick n roll which will work well with Horf. Surprisingly athletic and good finisher. Great handles.

Rodney Hood- im on the fence about this guy. Shoots well but his short arms make him susceptible to turnovers and limits him defensively. Hard worker tho so I think he could get better. Should be better in the NBA.

Glenn Robinson III- this guy I cant figure out. Ive watched him for 2 yrs. He has prototypical size and I have him here because we need a boost of athleticism. He just didnt display the ability to get his own shot and just didnt have any dog in him, no pun. He screams dorell wright to me. Having said all that, I was impressed with him at the combine and he seems to have worked on the jumper.

Edited by skimaskway23

1. D. McDermont- He will find a way to score in NBA. Would work great in our offense. Not likely to make it to 15.

2. T.J. Warren- Very efficient scorer, 3pt range will improve in NBA.

3. N. Stauskas- Incredible range and improving ball handling skills. Would help spread the floor.

4. K.J. McDaniels- Great athlete, will contribute immediately with defensive presence and game feel.

5. A. Payne- Game translates to NBA well with shooting skills and athleticism.

The thing I like best about these 5 is that they are all ready to contribute now and not years away. I also like the fact they are all leaders and alpha males on their teams. They will not shy away from taking a shot.

• Like 2

Honestly I am not married to 15. I am good with trading down to get multiple players you like or trading up to get that one guy you think can be a major piece from day one. Also, McDermott and Stauskas are rated behind players like GRIII, McGary and Wilcox on my overall list but if I were married to 15 I would pick McDermott or Stauskas before GRIII, McGary or Wilcox because they have more value at 15 than GRIII, McGary or Wilcox.

T.J. Warren

James Young

Hood

McDermott

Stauskas

In that order if I were marrying 15.

Your list is almost my list but a different order. Even with his disappointing measurements, I don't see McDermont dropping to 15. Lavine was hot in the 1st half of the season and cooled off in the 2nd. At 6'5 3/4" in shoes his combine measurements were much better than anticipated.

Young

Warren

Hood

Stauskas

Lavine

• Moderators

1. McDermott - Bigger KK

2. Young - Next potential DeRozan

3. Hood - Bigger Kendall Gill

4. Saric - Danilo Gallinari

5. Stauskas - Gordon Hayward

Honorable Mention: Gary Harris

Not impressed with Lavine or McDaniels for pick 15 and we don't need Payne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. K.J. McDaniels

2. James Young

3. Zach LaVine

4. Dario Saric

5. Rodney Hood

In pretty much that order. I really think that if McDaniels lands to us, we could really develop his offensive game. He's already compared himself to guys like Gerald Green and Paul George, which to me shows that he knows his abilities and limitations as a player (which is the polar opposite of josh Smith who I'm convinced believes that he's the second coming off Kyle Korver). Worst case scenario, he's a defensive guy who maybe gambles too much blocking shots. His ceiling though is as high as he wants it to be.

1. James Young (SF/SG) - I'm a huge Kentucky fan and I watched just about every game of his college career. He won't be 19 til August I believe and his potential is crazy. SUPER athletic and he's a lefty. Wingspan works in our favor and if he fell to us it'd be perfect. Just needs a bit of defensive work but I'd almost venture to say he could be a No.1 scoring option if he reaches his potential.

2. Rodney Hood (SF/SG) - Reliable shooter and more athletic than he gets credit for. Jabari stole a bit of his shine this season in my opinion. I feel like he's a great fit for our system.

3. Zach LaVine (SG/PG) - Incredible athleticism, I feel like he's bound to break out in the league like most UCLA players that aren't allowed to flourish in their system (Think more Russell Westbrook or Jrue Holiday than Shabazzz Muhammad smh) He's a boatload of potential right now but seeing him and Teague running the show would be insane.

4. Kyle Andersen (SF/PG) - His game has grown on me, he plays slow but I don't think that'd be too much of a problem with us. I feel like his ability to rebound and overall fill a stat sheet is a good compliment to what we have. He's 6'9 and can play Point OR SF, that type of versatility is always nice. Plus I'd like to have a player that could be a triple-double threat.

5. Elfrid Payton (PG/SG) - I know we are already locked into Teague and Schröder but I just like Payton for some reason. Ever since watching him play for the olympic team he's impressed me. He's 6'4, really focused on the defensive end and could be a sleeper in this draft.