Kyle Anderson to work out with hawks thursday

GrimeyKidd

• Premium Member

I can't blame the naysayers because we're all accustomed to seeing 'athletes' who happen to play basketball. But Kyle is a basketball player and a good one at that. His bbiq and length should help his game translate to the next level. Strangely enough, I watched Kyle's and Dario's scouting report and they both were eerily similar.

Is he fast enough to defend on the perimeter? Or will his iq make up for that too?

You think Andre Miller is / was fast? Cause he's been a terror defensively throughout his career and he's always moved at a turtles pace. But he controls the tempo on both ends of the floor and that's what Anderson will have to learn how to do defensively, the same way he does it offensively.

And yeah I know your comment is meant tongue in cheek but guess what, having a high BBIQ will allow him to play better team and man to man defense once he dedicates himself to it.

Nice video, Dolf.

I already like Anderson but watching him again some more and thinking about how he would fit the Hawks offense makes me like him even more. An awesome ball distributor is what he is. He can pass the ball from anywhere on the court and to any location on the court. People talk about "versatile shooters" and he's what I call a 'versatile passer.' He'll drive inside and get the defense to collapse on him but slip the ball to an unguarded Millsap or Horford standing under the rim. He'll drive inside and get the defense to collapse, only to then dish the ball to a completely open Kyle Korver for an uncontested 3. Or he can thread the ball through the defense to a slashing Jeff Teague.

As for his slow-paced game. That can throw defenses off at times and especially whenever he's handling the ball at a slow pace, causes the defense to fall asleep, and then quickly pass the ball to one of his 4 teammates who slipped by the defense unnoticed because all eyes were waiting on Anderson to finally make a chess move. He may be "slow" but his passes are definitely quick and often unexpected.

People keep saying a poor man's Magic Johnson and he's got a little of him in him but to me he looks like a taller young Andre Miller with a far better shot. And he controls the tempo offensively remarkably and that will lull defenders into a false sense of security, especially with his passing ability and court vision being able to find guys for easy buckets. He's like the anti-Teague as he's nowhere near as quick but he makes passes that Teague could never dream of. Ironically it looks like Schröder could be a nice mix between Teague and Anderson.

• Like 1

He does seem to have a touch and a feel for the game as d*ck Vitale pointed out. The outlet pass at the 2:15 mark of the highlight is something you really can't teach. Bigger, better outside shooting Andre Miller is a really good comparison. I feel better about him now. He does seem to be a Ferry guy as well. Only thing that confuses me is how Ferry is leaking to the media that we are working him out twice. Ferry is a hush hush type of guy. Unless of course you can't work a guy out privately without the media finding out, not sure if teams secretly work players out.

I see nothing but videos of highlights in here. Anybody seen his draftexpress video? Does a good breakdown of his strength and weaknesses. The passing and feel for the game is covered well. But the weaknesses are very alarming. Poor defense (post and perimeter), loose handle, can't keep a defender in front of him, slow release with a slow sample size of good shooting. Basically the kid is being set up to get exposed.

The lovefest is getting out of control. The Magic Johnson comparison is absurd.

• Like 1

I see nothing but videos of highlights in here. Anybody seen his draftexpress video? Does a good breakdown of his strength and weaknesses. The passing and feel for the game is covered well. But the weaknesses are very alarming. Poor defense (post and perimeter), loose handle, can't keep a defender in front of him, slow release with a slow sample size of good shooting. Basically the kid is being set up to get exposed.

The lovefest is getting out of control. The Magic Johnson comparison is absurd.

Yeah it's been posted a couple of times in this thread. Nobody is saying he should be the #1 pick in the draft but that's what you seem to assume. That's fine you clearly hate him but most experts don't agree with you and thankfully Ferry sees something in him and hopefully he'll end up a Hawk.

BTW nobody here said he was Magic Johnson. That's other experts who've said that he was similar.

Yeah it's been posted a couple of times in this thread. Nobody is saying he should be the #1 pick in the draft but that's what you seem to assume. That's fine you clearly hate him but most experts don't agree with you and thankfully Ferry sees something in him and hopefully he'll end up a Hawk.

BTW nobody here said he was Magic Johnson. That's other experts who've said that he was similar.

But... how was Magic Johnson's defense and was he really athletic? He had a vision of seeing the play before others and setting up other Lakers for "Showtime" highlights right?

Edited by GameTime

I asked a friend of mine who is a UCLA alumn and watches all their games about Kyle Anderson and he texted me this...

He is a winner. Team player. Will bring controversy though as to what position he should play. Also not super quick, athlete. Just knows the game. Conference player of the year, because he was able to play PG this year which is his natural position. Greatly improved his shooting between Freshman and Sophomore year. If either of these guys are available, take them.

But... how was Magic Johnson's defense and was he really athletic? He had a vision of seeing the play before others and setting up other Lakers for "Showtime" highlights right?

I'd say a guy who could be an All-Star at all 5 positions is pretty darn athletic. Was he fast and quick? No, but he could do anything on a basketball court and is probably the only guy in league history, with the possible exception of Lebron, who would star at any position.

Ps by them he meant LaVine or Anderson

I wouldn't be mad if we found a way to add them both via making that Schröder for #8 trade. Anderson could play point forward from the 3 and LaVine could be a full-sized 2. We'd easily have the best passing team in the league and anyone could initiate the offense. Teague and LaVine and Horford out on the break with Anderson throwing them lob passes just makes me salivate thinking about it.

I wouldn't be mad if we found a way to add them both via making that Schröder for #8 trade. Anderson could play point forward from the 3 and LaVine could be a full-sized 2. We'd easily have the best passing team in the league and anyone could initiate the offense. Teague and LaVine and Horford out on the break with Anderson throwing them lob passes just makes me salivate thinking about it.

I was just about to say I'm drooling at the mouth..

Salivate at the idea of taking the ball out of Teague's hands smh. The guy who is our most dangerous penetrator? You want to turn our pg into a slasher lmao. Foolishness

lavine was held back by kyle anderson at ucla, pass at the idea of having them both. I dont see coach Pop looking for a sf to take the ball out of parker's hands. Kyle Anderson wont blow by anyone and we talking about he'll see over defenders as if he is standing in the pocket in football LOL. Get real.

Btw, that kyle anderson move where he attempts to drive and leans into you seems to be his bread and butter for getting his shot off. That will be food for defenders in the pros.

Salivate at the idea of taking the ball out of Teague's hands smh. The guy who is our most dangerous penetrator? You want to turn our pg into a slasher lmao. Foolishness

lavine was held back by kyle anderson at ucla, pass at the idea of having them both. I dont see coach Pop looking for a sf to take the ball out of parker's hands. Kyle Anderson wont blow by anyone and we talking about he'll see over defenders as if he is standing in the pocket in football LOL. Get real.

Btw, that kyle anderson move where he attempts to drive and leans into you seems to be his bread and butter for getting his shot off. That will be food for defenders in the pros.

Sorry you can't see the advantage of having multiple guys who can initiate the offense.

Guess Pop must be foolish for taking the ball out of Parker's hands to have Green or Manu initiate the offense while Parker plays off the ball. Not sure how you "don't see that" but I'm guessing you've never watched a Spurs game as that happens every single game.

At least you're consistent though with this foolishness.

Sorry you can't see the advantage of having multiple guys who can initiate the offense.

Guess Pop must be foolish for taking the ball out of Parker's hands to have Green or Manu initiate the offense while Parker plays off the ball. Not sure how you "don't see that" but I'm guessing you've never watched a Spurs game as that happens every single game.

At least you're consistent though with this foolishness.

well, manu is a great pentrator no homo

idk if you know how the pick n roll works but without the threat of the drive the defender will go under and expose kyle's lack of nba 3 point shot. Manu can do both, thus your argument is flawed

We do need another ball handler besides Teague. When teams took the ball out of Jeff's hands or he went to the bech the offense stagnated.

idk if you know how the pick n roll works but without the threat of the drive the defender will go under and expose kyle's lack of nba 3 point shot. Manu can do both, thus your argument is flawed

Going under the PnR doesn't lead to 3pt shooting. Parker excels at the PnR because of his improved mid-range.

How is Anderson's mid-range?

Yeah clearly he can't shoot the 3 since he only improved to 49% from 3 last year. But let me guess what your response will be. Oh he was always wide open from 3 and that's how he got those shots.

I guess Andre Miller couldn't run the PnR either since he's the same type of ball handler as Anderson, playing at their own pace and changing it up when needed to get by someone.

With all these flaws I'm just not sure how Anderson led his conference in assists and was one of the best 3pt shooters in the country last year.

Please keep watering down your rep here when it comes to scouting prospects.