• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No cable/satellite

AHF

• Moderators

We are making a go of it getting rid of our cable and the accompanying bill. For television, I am fine with this. We can get a lot of this stuff through netflix, hulu, etc. and picked up an HD receiver that will let us get the basic local channels (ABC, NBC, etc.). I am worried about the World Cup since I don't see an easy way to get access to that. I am sure there are plenty of other things that I am not seeing as well.

Anyone been through this with some words of wisdom for the transition?

@AHF Thanks for posting this. The hubby and I are in discussions to drop the Comcast cable and bill and looking for alternatives.

Any insight from the Squawk will be appreciated.

Sports and live events is tough(legally). Also, more and more you will start to see these series become restricted to one or the other so you will need multiple accounts. Also, it is not an issue now, but net neutrality will certainly be an issue soon so that is another hurdle.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-cut-the-cord-and-ditch-cable-once-and-for-all-1522124125

http://lifehacker.com/the-biggest-myths-about-cutting-the-cable-cord-1566140265

Edited by sultanofatl
  • Like 1

Depending on who your cable provider is, they may provide you with access to ESPN3. In that case, you are in luck because the World Cup will be on ESPN3...I believe for all channels but I could be wrong. As a check, you can go here: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/upcoming/sport/soccer-futbol/ and view which matches require signing in to your cable/satellite/isp provider to watch (they should have a key next to them).

Also, if you have an HD receiver then you probably have access to Univision. If you don't mind the Spanish, then you can watch the games that way.

This might be the most helpful for you...http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/06/03/world-cup-tv-and-internet-schedule-comprehensive-guide-for-games-on-espn-univision-and-espn-deportes/

• Moderators

Check out Aereo. That will get you sports that's on broadcast tv Chromecast is awesome in my opinion.

I think Fifa has a world cup pass or something right?

If you want to see local sports in the Atlanta area though you'll have to run your internet with a proxy or vpn service but that's pretty cheap and not to hard although i haven't done it yet. Otherwise league pass gets blacked out for your local team.

Have you checked to see what internet you'll be able to get if you drop the TV package? I have Comcast and if you drop cable then they severely limit the internet package that you can get. I think it's like 6 MB or something is the max they'll allow without TV. I have a 50 MB connection now and there's no way I could go without it.

Plex on the Roku for the MFing win though. Best $99 you'll ever spend as it has tons and tons of apps.

Have you checked to see what internet you'll be able to get if you drop the TV package? I have Comcast and if you drop cable then they severely limit the internet package that you can get. I think it's like 6 Mbps or something is the max they'll allow without TV. I have a 50 Mbps connection now and there's no way I could go without it.

Plex on the Roku for the MFing win though. Best $99 you'll ever spend as it has tons and tons of apps.

Charter services my area and there's no speed cap without a cable subscription, but don't get me started on their quality of service.. I pay for 30mpbs and am usually around <3mbps during peak hours.

Charter services my area and there's no speed cap without a cable subscription, but don't get me started on their quality of service.. I pay for 30mpbs and am usually around <3mbps during peak hours.

Good grief that's awful. Mine is always a steady 45-50 and I use up close to 400 GB a month

Here's some interesting comments on people's favorite "set top boxes", which seems odd as to me that normally refers to cable / sat boxes but here it doesn't. For me again it's the Roku 3 but I'm hearing good things about the Amazon Fire, which is very similar to the Roku 3 apparently.

http://lifehacker.com/whats-the-best-set-top-box-1586233576

I have several friends that have gone down this route - I think you just have to be comfortable with the fact that that new episode of 'XYZ' that everyone is talking about might not be available to you - and it is what it is...

I have several friends that have gone down this route - I think you just have to be comfortable with the fact that that new episode of 'XYZ' that everyone is talking about might not be available to you - and it is what it is...

Unless you learn how to use newsgroups :)

I have legitimately enjoyed watching the Univision feed over the ESPN feed so far. There is way more passion and I feel like my old Spanish classes are rushing back to me. The commercials are better, there are LIVE CHICKENS that they interview, and Alexei Lalas is not involved. What more could you ask for?

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Youtube TV or Hulu?  or another suggestion?

Will I be able to get Bawb and Nique with Youtube Tv or Hulu?

Most likely.   I have playstation vue which i highly recommend and it comes with Fox sportssouth and southeast so you're watching just like cable.  I hate hulu.  I haven't used youtube tv in a while but i do recommend psvue highly.  It's the most like cable and has a true dvr.  Others had a "dvr" where you can't skip the commercials and some you can't even fast forward effectively.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Most likely.   I have playstation vue which i highly recommend and it comes with Fox sportssouth and southeast so you're watching just like cable.  I hate hulu.  I haven't used youtube tv in a while but i do recommend psvue highly.  It's the most like cable and has a true dvr.  Others had a "dvr" where you can't skip the commercials and some you can't even fast forward effectively.

Do i need to get a playstation console for the playstation vue?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Do i need to get a playstation console for the playstation vue?

No.  I use it on amazon fire TV.  And i'm sure it's on roku too and probably apple tv.   I haven't seen the latest youtube tv so that may be good too but you can't get it on fire tv.   

If i had to do it over i'd get a roku (and still subscribe to psvue) because it's independent and you don't get caught up in the wars between apple, google, and amazon.   

But i think they all probably offer fox sports south.   I've also used direct tv Now but it's a little buggy.