• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

• Moderators

The Luol Deng part is really just unbelievable and I"m scared to know what it is.    Native of Sudan and a british citizen.  I've always thought he was one of the classier guys in the league.  Ferry reading it could be bad but who is going to put that on paper and hand it to their boss?   Is Buford T Justice one of our scouts?

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Luol Deng part is really just unbelievable and I"m scared to know what it is.    Native of Sudan and a british citizen.  I've always thought he was one of the classier guys in the league.  Ferry reading it could be bad but who is going to put that on paper and hand it to their boss?   Is Buford T Justice one of our scouts?

Deng probably read the news and yelled his hometown aloud.

~lw3

• Moderators

Sounds like Tyler Perry is out but at least he has something positive to give us:

Of course, Perry, an Atlanta resident, has heard about the pending sale of the Atlanta Hawks. Owner Bruce Levenson announced he is selling the team after “self-reporting” a racist email he sent in 2012 about the team’s mostly Black attendance.

Perry says while he doesn’t know the current owner, he does know the executive who’s been brought in to replace him.

“Steve Koonan was at TBS and without him, House of Payne wouldn’t have been on the air,” Perry says. “He’ll get it straight. He’s a good guy and he’s on our side, so y’all go head on to the Hawks games. I might want a part of that,” Perry says. “Just a small part -y’all give me one or two of the cheerleaders and I’m good.”

http://blackamericaweb.com/2014/09/08/tyler-perry-talks-new-own-show-and-whether-hell-make-a-bid-for-the-hawks/

• Like 4

• Moderators
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I saw this yesterday before the Falcons game and promised myself to not stress about it until we beat the Saints.

Good thing we beat the Saints or today would be just like the day last year after they lost to the Jets on MNF (and lost Julio) and the Braves blowing a lead and being eliminated.

I just hope Bud stays, Ferry comes out of this fairly clean and we get completely new ownership. They are just awful man. I really thought they had turned things around with the Ferry/Bud/Koonin hires, but they always find a way to ruin things for us.

Koonin seems to be handling this well and hopefully some true Hawks or Atlanta supporters (with a lot of money) will step in and make a positive situation out of a negative one.

• Like 1

And let's not forget the Panthers have been outside of Miami for over 20 years and in Nashville, they've put down the fiddles for hockey sticks for over 15 years. You build it and show you give a damn, the fans will come and support you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. I was just mentioning the Stanley Cup winners, but Florida and Smashville have good fan bases too. The NHL gave Nashville and Phoenix every chance to the world to right the ship, but they sold us out for the franchise moving fee. Big mistake, especially for a city this size.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Is there an excerpt of what Ferry read?

Thankfully, we're irrelevant enough that Harvey Levin won't bother to find out.

EDIT: A Deadspin commenter claims to have the text of what was read/said (in reality, he's probably just trying to joke about what he thinks was said), but I won't dignify that until I see it from a reputable media source.

EDIT x2: From CViv's article on the Deng link:

"One person with knowledge of the situation said that they had “never heard a comment as offensive” in referring to the background report on Deng."

Assuming this knowledgeable person didn't just spend their first five minutes outside of a convent, I'd rather not know what it was.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

Quotation:  "Sometimes it's better to remain silent and have people think you a fool

than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Is he racist?  You decide.  He said what he thought.  He may have been under the influence

before he finished.  Who knows.

Most posters here, both black and not black don't seem to have any real problem with

what was said.  Guess we're all more open minded that most of the media.

I was born when F.D. Rosevelt was president.  He and every president since that time

has been "my" president, regardless of who he was.

If you don't believe that the white south are, many times but not always, racist, then you

haven't heard anyone talk about our n----- president.  I hear that, over and over.  They hate

him because of his race.

• Like 2

So how is this all going to play out?  Are we now deemed a racist organization?  Will Ferry have a press conference to try and minimize the damage this is doing to the organization?  Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode of how the atlana spirit group can embarrass this franchise even more.

Hello, my name is Belkin and I approve of this message  buba.gif

My problem is this makes me question everything.  Was Smith not engaged because of his "blackness" or talent?  Were personnel decisions made to make us seem less "black"?   I hate this shit.  You want to believe that no its not institutional racism going on here, but you never know these days.  This is a big deal to me, because now you can't give the benefit of the doubt.  The issue the culture that allowed Ferry and Bruce to feel comfortable about this.  

• Like 3

What in the world is anyone saying, much less reading, that's racially insensitive about Luol Deng, of all people? Is Blanche Knott writing up scout reports these days? Not right for any player to be remarked about, but Lu? Really?

~lw3

I'm sure during that portion of the report Danny turned to Bruce and said something to the effect of "now he's another brotha but he aint one of them brotha brothas if you catch my drift" and winked. 

The rest of the group were left dumbfounded about what exactly happened during that exchange before they read the e-mail and did a collective "ohhhhhhhhhhhhh".

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Quotation:  "Sometimes it's better to remain silent and have people think you a fool

than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Is he racist?  You decide.  He said what he thought.  He may have been under the influence

before he finished.  Who knows.

Most posters here, both black and not black don't seem to have any real problem with

what was said.  Guess we're all more open minded that most of the media.

I was born when F.D. Rosevelt was president.  He and every president since that time

has been "my" president, regardless of who he was.

If you don't believe that the white south are, many times but not always, racist, then you

haven't heard anyone talk about our n----- president.  I hear that, over and over.  They hate

him because of his race.

I cant stand the president because of his politics, complete documented lies, and failure.  It has nothing to do with race but the president has made everything a race issue.

Political rant over.

One word came to my mind about Levenson after I read the email. I wasn't going to say it because I don't want my 'Squawk membership sold. But dammit I need to stand up. The word that came to mind, and I can't use it because I am not one, is:

Carpetbagger {/sarcasm}

a little tongue-and-cheek here since this is nowhere near as extreme as the true Civil War carpetbaggers, but seriously f*** northerns who come down here and make claims about southerners that is pure nonsense

Where's Levenson from?  Maryland?  Somewhere in the DMV?  To us true Northerners (tugs on suit vest and twirls silver pocket watch big city lawyer style) everything south of Philly is all dixieland to us.  This seems to be a dispute amongst your savage selves, now if you'll excuse me I must catch a carriage to the opera house, a troupe is in town all the way from Paris (and yes, I pronounced that Pa-ree).

• Like 2

"IF"...yes "if"....a few years back...Stern would have walked to the podium and said:  "With the second pick in the draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Chris Paul, point guard from Wake Forrest"...none of this sh_t would have happened.

The Hawks would have been perennial contenders in the East for the ECFs...BK would have been thought of as a very smart GM for taking talent over "potential"...and Ferry would be somewhere else.

Amazing what one mistake in talent evaluation can do.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My problem is this makes me question everything.  Was Smith not engaged because of his "blackness" or talent?  Were personnel decisions made to make us seem less "black"?   I hate this shit.  You want to believe that no its not institutional racism going on here, but you never know these days.  This is a big deal to me, because now you can't give the benefit of the doubt.  The issue the culture that allowed Ferry and Bruce to feel comfortable about this.  

ding ding ding

• Like 1