• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Dolfan posted:

"But seriously, damn, the email seems stupid, but him claiming he's turning his email over is fishy as hell"....

Yeah...seems fishy to me too.  My guess is they (NBA and other interested parties) let him give up the first email in what may have been a very interesting "trail" of emails....they may have gotten considerably more interesting after that.  My guess is we are looking at the "G" rated version of this whole deal.  My guess is also that Sterling made good on his promise/threat and hired some really "F-in" good IT dudes and had him/maybe D.F./and maybe even a few NBA Execs over the barrel.

I would be amazed if some serious money wasn't exchanged prior to this announcement.

...more to this than meets the eye...this is too vanilla for a guy to bail.  I don't buy the stuff about Levinson doing the "right thing"...or trying to use it to sell.

How many guys "self-report" and do the right thing?  They self report when they get caught.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

Levenson just wants out and he doesn't want to look like he is selling out. He's "forced" to sell now.

I also find it funny that he is concerned about attracting white fans, yet he sent the Thrashers packing. Hockey IS the whitest major sport! lmao How do stupid people make millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

As far as Ferry is concerned, I think more facts need to come out.  Who's to say Ferry was covering it up or hiding the email?  He might have been the one to force Bruce's hand to come clean about it.  We just don't know.  But I don't think because Ferry didn't go running like a kid to the league and telling on Bruce makes him culpable in any way.

• Premium Member

As far as Ferry is concerned, I think more facts need to come out.  Who's to say Ferry was covering it up or hiding the email?  He might have been the one to force Bruce's hand to come clean about it.  We just don't know.  But I don't think because Ferry didn't go running like a kid to the league and telling on Bruce makes him culpable in any way.

I hope we don't learn that Ferry made player personnel decisions based on Bruce's twisted thinking.

As much as I would say Donald Sterling is an a_shole (and he is)...sometimes it takes an a_shole to catch other a_sholes.  That's why you don't go against your "peers" if you are an a_shole.   That's also why Mob guys just shoot people who they feel might "rat".

Sterling is (in my opinion) an old-school racist...but he's not stupid and he's richer than sh!t.

Conversation:

Donald Sterling to a really good I.T. shop:  "I don't know spit about email tracking, heard about these such things, but I'll give you five million bucks to check out the emails from my "peer" owners...can you do that?"

"Yes Sir"

Sterling:  "Good."

Donald Sterling may not know sh!t about e-tracking...but when he gets the information...he sure knows about how to use it.

• Like 1

He very well could have reported this! And even if he never reported it I think you'd have a difficult showing me why that is so bad... it's not easy being a whistle blower.

When it comes to politics, yes, but sport is another animal. Basically, two years he was hiding the master plan to create "whiter audience" in the arena. It's incredible.

• Like 1

In most nba cities watching games on tv most nba fans who attend games are white. I mean have you ever seen the crowd at a jailblazer or jazz game Celtics so on and so on. Sure there are more blacks at Hawks game than most nba cities but they are working class people like myself ( except Im white lol) who bring theyre families to the game like me and give no reason in the world to fear for your families saftey. Same at dream games. This isnt oakland or La dodgers games that get attened by hundreds of gang members. He should be ashamed of what he said, hez lucky anyone decides to spend their hard earned money on his Hawks. I thought he was our smartest owner since he finally got us an nba gm instead of letting Gearon jr run the team. Hopefully we dont go back to that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I hope Steve Koonin buys out the entire ownership. I think he'd be great as the majority owner.

SteveKooninBio1.jpg

I don't think he's got that kind of dough and as impressive as his resume is, he fell right in lock step with the other owners by pointing the finger at the fans for not supporting the mediocre product on the floor during his radio interview. There needs to be an owner who understands that the product on the floor needs to change and who has the assets and patience to make it happen.
  • Like 1

Levenson is a business man going after the green. I will be honest and tell you that i felt that the hawks and the nba is general is a little too hip hop. I personally don't care for rap music. He pretty much called all southern whites racist in the email. That's the bigger issue if you ask me. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I got into a feud with someone about this, but where is there evidence that Ferry didn't bring this to someone attention? Do we see his follow up email? Are we sure Ferry didn't call this into league office as Adreian Woj has been reporting that this wasn't self reported?

I don't see how Ferry should be condemned with the amount of information we have at the moment. And to make it out like he never responded is a false dichotomy and a loaded statement. He very well could have reported this! And even if he never reported it I think you'd have a difficult showing me why that is so bad... it's not easy being a whistle blower.

Ferry did send tape on Rondo to the league offices... Is Ferry going to lengths to get the cheap ownership out of here? Was Ferry forbidden to offer Monroe max deal and Deng more money? Ferry tired being blamed for not signing players when the ownership is the ones limiting him? Was Ferry given valet keys to the organization? Seems shady since Levenson was the one that brought Ferry here personally, but I'd like a GM that pulls all of the stops to make a great team. Just spitballin' tho, doubt any of that is legit. lol

The thing is...and let's be fair...in Atlanta baseball is primarily a white sport (fan-wise)...football is integrated...and basketball is primarily a black sport.  This isn't Indiana where everybody loves basketball.

Another thing...let's look at what Levinson said in an email (and granted there may have been more than that) compared to what the Braves are doing.

The Atlanta Braves aren't just posting emails...they are fixing to move out of Atlanta.  Think about this.  They are moving to Cobb County, white area, no public transportation for a reason...and a river in-between them and inner-city Atlanta.  Why would they do that?...for money.

• Like 1

Well if Levenson was really trying to use some sort of "leverage" as some have postulated...he's a fish in the wrong pond.  It's not like the world doesn't realize there are racial issues in the South....Duh.

I think Sterling has pulled a fast one here.  He has probably emailed other owners with (fairly) racist posts.

Sometimes it is tempting for a guy who isn't really a racist  to respond in a racist manor to fit in.  Other times they are borderline and are turned to the wrong side.  Sh!t happens.

The best thing that could happen is the team is bought someone who wants to relocate the team to a city where the fans will support the team.

That would royally suck - no more Hawksquawk? Hell no. Worse thing that could happen.

• Moderators

Jeff Zillgitt: Even before Sterling situation erupted, there was some talk that Bruce Levenson would explore selling his controlling interest of Hawks. Twitter @JeffZillgitt

Atlanta Hawks, Bruce Levenson

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.WMzCdIqR.dpuf

Knew it. He saw the Sterling situation and saw a scapegoat plan. Levenson, if you wanted out, then just leave! You don't need a reason to GTFO!

I wonder why the white Falcons fans aren't afraid of the black Falcons fans. It's the DAMN product fool! Build it and I guarandangtee they'll come

Thank you!

I thought about that too.....Levenson take a lot of blame for fans not showing up! Poor ownership is all it is!

From what I've seen, Levenson made up his own mind to sell. The NBA has not forced him to do anything. I would like to see someone buy out the rest of the Ownership group as these guys don't know how to run a successful NBA team.

Or an NHL team for that matter, but they didn't bother trying.  Pitiful.

• Like 2