• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Just out of curiosity, anyone know the record for longest running thread is on the squawk?

1000+ comments and 70 pages ain't bad. Subject matter's bad, but no one can say the Hawks don't have engaged fans here.

There's a handy little button on the top of the forum to sort the topics, you can sort by most replies. This has almost reached the level of the Nets watch thread, which is the longest, but this has gotten here MUCH quicker. 

http://hawksquawk.net/community/forum/1-homecourt/?sort_key=posts&sort_by=Z-A

• Like 1

There's a handy little button on the top of the forum to sort the topics, you can sort by most replies. This has almost reached the level of the Nets watch thread, which is the longest, but this has gotten here MUCH quicker.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/forum/1-homecourt/?sort_key=posts&sort_by=Z-A

I kind of want to kick off the Nets thread again...hoping for $hitty luck for the Nets in 2015... GIMME THAT PICK DAMMMMIT!...

I kind of want to kick off the Nets thread again...hoping for $hitty luck for the Nets in 2015... GIMME THAT PICK DAMMMMIT!...

Nooooooo.....that brought us some bad luck last time - leave it alone - go quietly amidst the Noise and it'll happen this time around.

• Moderators

Woj goes in on Ferry's Folly, and just as much on his employers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/danny-ferry-s-fatal-mistake--he-never-owned-his-comments-041056586.html

(snippet:)

Before Ferry met with CEO Steve Koonin on Friday to finalize a leave of absence that most inside the organization believe will eventually become permanent, Ferry spent the morning with members of the African-American clergy in Atlanta, a source told Yahoo Sports. He's trying here. And he'll keep trying too. He's humiliated. He's hurting. For the first time in his life, Ferry's humbled.

He's lived a privileged existence: son of an NBA general manager; a DeMatha High School and Duke graduate; a 10-year playing career; and a rapid Spurs' front office ascent to join LeBron James with the Cavaliers. James' greatness made Ferry's misguided GM run with the Cavs' appear better than it was, and yet a run back through the Spurs Car Wash had Ferry spruced up for a second tour as GM.

Everything has always worked out for him, always seen him treated like one of the league's chosen ones. To think you could get away with saying those things in a public setting, you'd almost have to be emboldened by a sense of entitlement. More than racism, this was sloppiness. This was flippant, feeling bullet-proof bravado of a relentlessly connected NBA blue-blood.

Ferry's agent David Falk, a close associate of Levenson, negotiated him a tremendous deal – six years guaranteed, $12 million-plus, autonomy to answer only to Levenson in that bleep-show of an ownership group. There's no underestimating the powerful alliance of allies that Ferry has – from Silver, a Dukie, to San Antonio's Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford.

And so, in the end, Ferry will be fine. The rest of his Atlanta guys will forever be under suspicion. Ferry could've spared everyone this nightmare and been honest from the start of this investigation, but he kept blaming that report. He blamed that document all the way out the door, all the way to its leaking on his likely final day as Hawks general manager. Want all the money, all that power to run a franchise? Well, you don't get to pick and choose the accountability that comes with it.

Ferry doesn't deserve an NBA death sentence, nor will he face one. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone's careless. Those things happen. How Ferry reacted to this; how, in clinging to that report, he was willing to implicate everyone else, reflected horribly on him. In itself, that's a hurdle for his return to the NBA.

I disagree with Woj on Ferry's probability of returning, but will save those thoughts for another day. I want whatever happened to last Sunday back, and I intend to have a drama-free day like today, tomorrow.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Danny Ferry's "leave of absence" as general manager of the Atlanta Hawks will almost assuredly become permanent.

"I still wonder why in the hell he would ever paraphrase that back to ownership," one NBA general manager said. "…Maybe just say, "Potential character issues have turned up but I would still recommend we sign him for up to 'X' million. I can't believe someone would ever repeat that or go into detail like that for an ownership level meeting."

Before Ferry met with Steve Koonin on Friday to finalize his leave of absence that most inside the organization believe will become permanent, Ferry met with members of the African-American clergy in Atlanta, according to a source.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234880/Danny-Ferrys-Leave-From-Hawks-Expected-To-Become-Permanent

• Premium Member
Idk. I guess it depends on who they talked to within the organization. Undoubtedly, there's a war going on. On one side is the Gearons and on the other side is Ferry and those who support him staying employed. Levenson looks to be a casualty although he could still fire off a shot in the sale process I suppose. And as long as Gearon doesn't have the power to remove Ferry, there's still a possibility he comes back just to spite Gearon.

Dang, i just now got caught up with this thread. It seemed like i just couldn't keep up. I just HAD to read what everybody else out there was saying! Anyways...

I really hope there's a way for all off this to blow over for Ferry but i just don't know. The main concern i have is getting the ASG gone, but i really liked Ferrys vision and approach for the most part and would like for him to stick around. Compared to what we've had in the recent past it was a welcome change. But now it seems like he's on his way out. I don't think the comments would realistically make much difference by the time next summer rolls around on FAs, but it doesn't ready seem like Danny is going to make it that long.

This team might seriously be cursed. Just watch, this will just be the tip of the iceberg. Ferry gets outed as a klansmen. Not only do FAs not come here but half the team walks and the league lets them. Bud leaves. Levenson is gone. Gearon winds up running the show and he brings back BK (who later signs JJ to an even bigger contact than before) and some new folks to fight with all the time. The Nets wind up with a draft slot just after ours even though Al tears a boobie again. Josh Smith suddenly starts drilling 70% of those threes he we missing with us. Lou and Bebe lead the Raptors to the ECF. ...

Anybody else worried that's what we're probably looking at in the not-so-distant future?

• Like 1

Has anyone explained why the Cavs organization has been unscathed throughout all this?

What's the deal with our Assistant GM?  Why skip over him and make Budz the Grand Pubah?  More fallout on the way?

• Moderators

Just a hunch, but our assistant GM came from the Cavs. So maybe we are trying to distance ourselves from this whole situation. Especially because if it is to be believed that Chris Grant wrote the scouting report, well guess who was one of the first to hire him? Danny Ferry.

Cleveland should be doused with fire in this situation. But not everyone is Jerry Michael Gearon Junior. Some people think before throwing more onto the dumpster fire. And I'd take a hunch that is what is going on. Danny probably doesn't want to burn too many bridges, although people already think he is an ass. They thought he was an ass before this too, so it isn't like this is changing things drastically.

Funny though, people wanted Bud fired last year before even coaching a game. I took a look back at the old threads around that time:

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/384358-bud-arrested-for-dui/

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/385649-here-come-de-judge-bud-in-court-today/

And while there were people calling for him to be fired, it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Still, public perception she is a fickle whore. Wait a month and people will forget about it. Just like that Ice Bucket Challenge thing.

I really think that Ferry's leaving the team is just that... Distance yourself from the situation and then quietly return without anyone noticing. We'll hear a report in a few months and we'll all say, "When did Ferry get back?!?". Or maybe he is gone just long enough for Koonin to find a new owner that wants Ferry back. It seems Koonin likes what Ferry/Bud has done in their short time here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Moderators

In addition to the "promote Lebron" agenda, I am sure a reason that the Cavs aren't in the cross-hairs is because they fired Grant in February and he wrote this report after he was no longer employed by them.

Idk. I want to believe the theory that Grant wrote it, but if that were the case it would seem the NBA wouldn't have an issue with outing him since he no longer works for Cleveland.

True.  Seems they'd have no problem lopping that mole off in the name of saving the "King".

I'm repeating what I posted in another thread, but I heard on the radio last week that the report was compiled by a Hawks rep (assistant gm?) although it was indeed based on Cavs intel.  I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but I also haven't seen that in print anywhere so TIFWIW (which isn't much).

Maybe our asst. guy will be the fall guy who'll go down refusing the name his source?