• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

More knee surgery for me. This time micro-fracture surgery

Admin

Since this is more like an ER lounge than a lounge these days, I figured I'd update you guys (and gals) here on my knee problems. My recovery hasn't been going too well so went back and had another MRI done and it turns out that I need micro-fracture surgery. I had no idea that regular people got this type of surgery and I really had no idea exactly what the surgery entailed but it's pretty interesting, although I can see why they stopped doing it for pro athletes. 

Basically (from my understanding) they drill a few holes in the bones in your knee area and allow the knee joint to fill with blood, which forms scar tissue and fills in the "potholes", as my surgeon calls it, in the knee cartilage. This is a much bigger surgery than my previous surgery I had on it a couple of months ago as the recovery is much longer. I can't even put weight on the knee for 30 days. 

Anyway, it's no cancer or anything serious like that but I figured I'd let you all know what's going on. 

They've stopped micro-fracture? What did they replace it with?

Sounds like recovery sucks, maybe you should try rumple? Works for me.

Yeah apparently Oden is one of if not the last NBA player who's going to get it. It's really not that great of a procedure anyway, replacing cartilage with scar tissue as it can't absorb impact. I'm guessing for pro athletes they're doing full on cartilage transfers from cadavers now, although it wouldn't surprise me if they started doing total knee replacements in the near future as there's less recovery from those than for micro-fracture and there's probably just as good of a chance of recovering and playing again. 

No thanks on the rumple, that's some nasty ish. Maybe you should upgrade to Fireball? 

Well I didn't know that about the microfracture, interesting to know.

Funny you mention Fireball as I have two liquors in my freezer right now, that and Rumple. I'm a man, so I drink the Rumple.  rap.gif

Nice! I like the company of women, which is why I have Fireball meowth.gif

tumblr_m414kqcOQ81qawj3y.gif

Haha you crack me up!  This time it's just surgery, no need for an 'I'm gonna drown the kids' break so I'll still be around. Plus it's Hawks season and my Dolphins aren't making me too happy right now so this is all I have to look forward to. 

Good luck with surgery and the recovery Dol. Am sure you will be fine although i wasnt aware it was that invasive!

Yeah thanks man this one hurts something fierce. It's the drilling into the bone that hurts and my knee is crazy swollen from it. As soon as I heard micro fracture I started thinking Oden and Amare type recovery and never being able to compete again.

• Moderators

Yeah thanks man this one hurts something fierce. It's the drilling into the bone that hurts and my knee is crazy swollen from it. As soon as I heard micro fracture I started thinking Oden and Amare type recovery and never being able to compete again.

You should have landed that $100 million contract before you told anyone.  Big mistake.   

Seriously, best of luck.  I'm sure you'll be good in the long run.

• Like 1

You should have landed that $100 million contract before you told anyone.  Big mistake.   

Seriously, best of luck.  I'm sure you'll be good in the long run.

I know right? I could still probably walk on with the Astros if I wanted... and I don't even play baseball lol.  And thank you sir I appreciate it. 

Adding my sympathy and wishes for a speedy and full recovery. That surgery sounds awful. Ive torn both ACLs and some meniscus tears but I don't think I need what you are about to go through. Take it easy and have fun with the Hawks this season

• Like 1