• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Steve Koonin

Well, he isn't going to say that they were shopping Sap. It's probably damage control.

We heard the same stuff from the Atlanta Spirit years ago... That they were willing to go over the cap and all of that stuff.

I think they thought they would keep Al at a lesser price and then trade Sap.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

On 7/8/2016 at 8:38 PM, DrReality said:

We've never had a voice that was so engaging and real. His radio interviews aren't BS

10X better than Rick Sund , who always sounded like  he was about to have a nervous breakdown .

Yeah, the one thing I found remotely interesting was him talking about Atlanta is starting to turn into a place where free agents want to come. Obviously he was talking mainly about Dwight, but he said even Humphries told them in his exit interviews that he really, really wanted to come back because he loved it here. Nothing earth shattering, but kinda cool.

Koonin is a pretty funny guy. I guess you have to be if you look like that! tumblr_lo5dbccKfg1qmcbzso1_500.gif

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah, the one thing I found remotely interesting was him talking about Atlanta is starting to turn into a place where free agents want to come. Obviously he was talking mainly about Dwight, but he said even Humphries told them in his exit interviews that he really, really wanted to come back because he loved it here. Nothing earth shattering, but kinda cool.

Koonin is a pretty funny guy. I guess you have to be if you look like that! tumblr_lo5dbccKfg1qmcbzso1_500.gif

Yeah, getting Dwight is a good start. We see NY/LA are places to go if you want to be marketed as a star, go to CLE/GS/SA if you want to win a ring. Maybe ATL's niche can be if you're a star who fell off the radar but want to revitalize your career come to ATL.

52 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah, getting Dwight is a good start. We see NY/LA are places to go if you want to be marketed as a star, go to CLE/GS/SA if you want to win a ring. Maybe ATL's niche can be if you're a star who fell off the radar but want to revitalize your career come to ATL.

That's not the message... there is no "niche." It's desireable places to go, and not. We've long been a "not." We are slowly turning that around.

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

That's not the message... there is no "niche." It's desireable places to go, and not. We've long been a "not." We are slowly turning that around.

I'm not too sure about that. It isn't like this is 2013 Dwight picking Atlanta, this is 2016 Dwight. By the way, I love the move of Dwight coming but ATL needed Dwight and Dwight needed ATL. It was a perfect match.

But until ATL wins a championship, it's not a 1st tier FA destination. It's still 2nd tier.  It's an upgrade from 3rd tier, how it was under Atlanta Spirit where you get guys like McGrady when they're out of their prime.

Edited by BigDog90

8 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

I'm not too sure about that. It isn't like this is 2013 Dwight picking Atlanta, this is 2016 Dwight. By the way, I love the move of Dwight coming but ATL needed Dwight and Dwight needed ATL. It was a perfect match.

But until ATL wins a championship, it's not a 1st tier FA destination. It's still 2nd tier.  It's an upgrade from 3rd tier, how it was under Atlanta Spirit where you get guys like McGrady when they're out of their prime.

Howard and McGrady best years are behind them.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Al may have one prime year left and he got a max. But then again, his two year decline in rebounding could indicate he might be past his prime. The captain obvious fact you refuse to see is some of Dwight's worse seasons are on par or better than Horford's best seasons.

The other Captain Obvious fact is, Horfords playoff averages are worse then his regular season, Dwight's are better in the playoffs. Your stars need to show up in the playoffs!

Think that because defense is so intense in the playoffs that most players averages aren't as impressive as regular season but as you said Dwight increases his numbers and I believe being a strong around the rim defensive player adds to that as well. Prime or not, on the floor he will give us something we haven't had in the paint. Starting to feel like even at his age he is what the doctor ordered.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hazer said:

Attitude and mindset are 90% of the battle. With the chip on his shoulder and being part of a better system, better TEAMmates, better locker room, and better coach, D8 will be an All-Star with the Hawks. He's only 30 damn years old...

After all this time thinking of him as D8 has a unique feel to it. Thinking your so right about a better coaching environment for him because that really is the first  consistently positive thing ever brought up about us in the media. Lately it's often "the mistake the Hawks made" with Al of course and not about our strong draft or anything else. Some are ever so slowly warming up.   

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...