• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mumps

DJlaysitup

Just saw a special segment on the NHL players passing around the Mumps. Wow. Pretty odd. I remember when I was a kid and had them my Mom asked my Dad if he had them as a youngster. He had - so it was cool - still I was kinda semi-quarantined. Mom said something about the Mumps "dropping" in adult males and that it would be really bad. I didn't really care since I was just a kid with the mumps. Apparently these mumps can do all sorts of damage to adult (post puberty) males. Sterility was a risk and in extreme cased - somehow - blindness? I guess my Mom was right. She grew up in the days that polio was still active. I remember going to "Chicken Pox Parties"...where parents would intentionally expose their kids to C-Pox in hope they would catch it. Logic was - if you were exposed to C-Pox as a kid you would be sick for a week or so - and it would be a pain - but then you would be immune to Small Pox. It was at a time where anti-biotics were actually available - but rural folks didn't take any chances. Anyway - sure seems odd that we have a mumps semi-epidemic in 2014. Hope all the hockey dudes stay fertile. GO HAWKS !!!

P.S. . . I remember way back in grade school...I grew up in a very small town and there were a couple girls (twins) my age in about 4th grade. Rebecca and Rachel. They both wore long skirts and seemed to keep to themselves but I was always a "conversationalist" and I talked to them - especially Rebecca (cutey-pie). Then the next year (after summer vacation)- Rebecca wasn't in the class anymore. I asked around but nobody said anything. Where did she go - Rachel was still there. Come to find out Rebecca somehow got pn over the summer - her parents didn't believe in antibiotics - they just prayed over her and she died. . . I didn't know so I asked at our dinner. Mom was always forthright and said she had heard that they were "backward"...in their religious beliefs. . A simple shot of penicillin would have saved her life.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a different time and era now than when you grew up with ma and paw and the closest neighbors were miles away plus wasn't Dysentery a big thing back then when y'all were crossing the Oregon Trail?

Yeah, plus that dang river crossing er fording was a b*tch.

Man I miss Oregon Trail.  Meeeeemorieeeees!!!!

P.S...I remember way back in grade school...I grew up in a very small town and there were a couple girls (twins) my age in about 4th grade. Rebecca and Rachel. They both wore long skirts and seemed to keep to themselves but I was always a "conversationalist" and I talked to them - especially Rebecca (cutey-pie). Then the next year (after summer vacation)- Rebecca wasn't in the class anymore. I asked around but nobody said anything. Where did she go - Rachel was still there. Come to find out Rebecca somehow got pn over the summer - her parents didn't believe in antibiotics - they just prayed over her and she died... I didn't know so I asked at our dinner. Mom was always forthright and said she had heard that they were "backward"...in their religious beliefs.. A simple shot of penicillin would have saved her life.

Very backward place. Grew up the next town north of JC
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

P.S. . . I remember way back in grade school...I grew up in a very small town and there were a couple girls (twins) my age in about 4th grade. Rebecca and Rachel. They both wore long skirts and seemed to keep to themselves but I was always a "conversationalist" and I talked to them - especially Rebecca (cutey-pie). Then the next year (after summer vacation)- Rebecca wasn't in the class anymore. I asked around but nobody said anything. Where did she go - Rachel was still there. Come to find out Rebecca somehow got pn over the summer - her parents didn't believe in antibiotics - they just prayed over her and she died. . . I didn't know so I asked at our dinner. Mom was always forthright and said she had heard that they were "backward"...in their religious beliefs. . A simple shot of penicillin would have saved her life.

Sad story.  I hope we aren't seeing a repeat with the people refusing to give their kids immunizations.

• Premium Member

Sad story. I hope we aren't seeing a repeat with the people refusing to give their kids immunizations.

If things don't change soon we are going to see a big increase in vaccine preventable diseases again. It will be really sad when we start having thousands of more kids who have permanent brain damage or die each year when things like HiB (h.flu, type b) come back. Used to be 1/200 would die or have serious complications from meningitis or epiglottitis from HiB each year and now we mostly read about it since the vaccine was invented for it. Vaccines are (one of) the greatest invention of the last few centuries in my opinion as they have prevented such a staggering amount of death and disease.

Sorry for the rant, this is one of my soapboxes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's a different time and era now than when you grew up with ma and paw and the closest neighbors were miles away plus wasn't Dysentery a big thing back then when y'all were crossing the Oregon Trail?

Oh...by the way...(edited)

Just my humble opinion

Edited by DJlaysitup

If things don't change soon we are going to see a big increase in vaccine preventable diseases again. It will be really sad when we start having thousands of more kids who have permanent brain damage or die each year when things like HiB (h.flu, type b) come back. Used to be 1/200 would die or have serious complications from meningitis or epiglottitis from HiB each year and now we mostly read about it since the vaccine was invented for it. Vaccines are (one of) the greatest invention of the last few centuries in my opinion as they have prevented such a staggering amount of death and disease.

Sorry for the rant, this is one of my soapboxes.

No rant...heck...the folks who discovered penicillin (first anti-biotic) and then the guy who got the anti-tuberculosis drug from the ground are true heroes. We always talk about "war' heroes - but the true heroes were the men and women (microbiologists) who stopped Small Pox, Malaria, the various extractions of bubonic plague, mumphs, and of course Polio.