• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

15th pick

NBASupes

I've got 4 guys that really intrigue me. We would have to move up to draft 3/4 im pretty sure, although things could change with measurements, workouts etc.

4. Devin Booker- He has a great looking shot, specialty is 3's which is obviously very valuable in our system. Korver could mentor this kid.

3. Kelly Oubre- His physical tools are strong, you can't teach that, he looks like he can do it all. Put the ball on the floor and shoot it well. Great handles. Smooth player that plays both sides of the ball. Looks to me like a future star.

2. Mario Hezonja- I realize that this comparison was made by scouts partially because he's Croatian, but anytime you are mentioned in the same breath as Drazen Petrovic, that's a huge compliment to your game. The guy looks to put it on the floor and handle is well, better than Drazen in those departments which means he can create better for himself than Petro fuel. He's got a great looking outside stroke, looks like he can hit a shot from 30 feet out consistently. He would also flourish in our system. Only thing that concerned me about what the scouts said was his tendency to be an iso type player, which doesn't work well in the Bud system, however if he bought in, he could be lethal.

1. Stanley Johnson- I've kind of been infatuated with this kid for a couple of years now. First off, his size is incredible. He's 6'7" and 245 pounds. The previous 3 guys that I mentioned are an inch shorter or taller than Johnson but all weigh approximately 200 pounds. This kid is what the kids like to call a BEAST. He's got the Artest thing going on defense but his offense looks much better than Artest, way more fluidity. If he continues to progress, he will be on many all NBA defensive teams. I think Bud would do some really special things with a guy like this. He also reminds me of Kawhi Leonard in many ways, both physically and the way he moves around on the court. He's projected to go top 10, so we would have to move up to snag him but I think he could be worth it if the cost for moving up 7 or 8 picks isn't too steep. I'm afraid once the workouts conclude that he might end up being a top 5 or 6 pick.

@JayBirdHawk I hope he turns out like Kawhi so one of us can move on :-X

I really like 1-3. Especially Stanley. I was so pissed we lost that lottery pick thanks to Brooklyn. Stan is not Kawhi but Stan like Kawhi has a high ceiling in the right system. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

I really like 1-3. Especially Stanley. I was so pissed we lost that lottery pick thanks to Brooklyn. Stan is not Kawhi but Stan like Kawhi has a high ceiling in the right system.

Ya I really wanted that pick to be at 10 or 11. It seems much easier to move up from the 10th pick to the 7th than from 15. Oh well. Stanley doesn't remind you of Kawhi? He reminds me a lot of Ron Artest with a much better outside shot. Artest made a lot of set shots from outside but he wasn't that consistent. Plus his shot was very mechanical. I would love to grab Stanley and have DMC and Thabo mentor him. Outside of Mutombo and Mookie, we haven't had too many defensive minded guys on the Hawks.

My issue with Booker is the same issue I had with Gary Harris except I felt Harris was a better player. I simply think Booker is a better shooter but the gap in both of those wasn't great. Both are NBA role players at best and neither will contribute next year. 

I am really not on the Booker train. I am trying to figure out what some see in him. Hunter looks a lot more skilled. LeVert looks a lot more talented. Booker is a shooter and I don't mind him at #20-25 but at #15 with LeVert and Hunter on the board isn't ideal at all. I am indifferent with Dekker. All my metrics say he's going to be an All Star and better than Chandler Parsons. So does the eye test but I am not sold he can play in a system like ours seeing his inconsistency in a high BBIQ offensive system. 

Ya I really wanted that pick to be at 10 or 11. It seems much easier to move up from the 10th pick to the 7th than from 15. Oh well. Stanley doesn't remind you of Kawhi? He reminds me a lot of Ron Artest with a much better outside shot. Artest made a lot of set shots from outside but he wasn't that consistent. Plus his shot was very mechanical. I would love to grab Stanley and have DMC and Thabo mentor him. Outside of Mutombo and Mookie, we haven't had too many defensive minded guys on the Hawks.

I think the mentoring thing can be overrated. Proper development involves more than mentoring, you do need the talent, coaching and to fit the system you are playing in. He doesn't play like Artest at all to me. He looks like him body wise but plays a lot different. He plays like DeMarre to be honest. Just a lot more talented than DMC.

My issue with Booker is the same issue I had with Gary Harris except I felt Harris was a better player. I simply think Booker is a better shooter but the gap in both of those wasn't great. Both are NBA role players at best and neither will contribute next year.

I am really not on the Booker train. I am trying to figure out what some see in him. Hunter looks a lot more skilled. LeVert looks a lot more talented. Booker is a shooter and I don't mind him at #20-25 but at #15 with LeVert and Hunter on the board isn't ideal at all. I am indifferent with Dekker. All my metrics say he's going to be an All Star and better than Chandler Parsons. So does the eye test but I am not sold he can play in a system like ours seeing his inconsistency in a high BBIQ offensive system.

Agreed Booker won't contribute next year. It's gonna take a couple years. I wouldn't pick him at 15 either. If we trade down to the early 20's I might snag him there but 15 is too high. Also the other thing about Booker is that he seems soft, maybe he's not but that's what I see. I like Hunter also and think he will shoot up after the workouts. I don't like Dekker much at all. I think he would be extremely lucky to turn out as good as Parsons. He might get abused in his first few years.

I think the mentoring thing can be overrated. Proper development involves more than mentoring, you do need the talent, coaching and to fit the system you are playing in. He doesn't play like Artest at all to me. He looks like him body wise but plays a lot different. He plays like DeMarre to be honest. Just a lot more talented than DMC.

Interesting, if he's similar to DMC but more talented than DMC, imagine what Bud and the player development staff can do with him.

Where is he slotted to go in the draft?

Maybe it's his chest size or defensive prowess but he screams a more fluid Artest to me. I think we have the coaching staff and probably one of the best player development systems led by Bud to make a star out of Stanley and work on his weaknesses much like Bud did with some of our current guys.

Interesting, if he's similar to DMC but more talented than DMC, imagine what Bud and the player development staff can do with him.

Where is he slotted to go in the draft?

Mock's have him between 7-9 right now. I have a bad feeling he shoots up after workouts. :-(

Maybe it's his chest size or defensive prowess but he screams a more fluid Artest to me. I think we have the coaching staff and probably one of the best player development systems led by Bud to make a star out of Stanley and work on his weaknesses much like Bud did with some of our current guys.

Probably but he isn't slept on like Kwahi. He's a top 10 pick. 

Looks like I wasn't alone in comparing him to Kawhi...just found this on hoopshype.

8. Stanley Johnson DET

Small Forward / 6-7

Arizona

Freshman

13.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.7 apg

Stanley had a very solid freshman season, however his deficiencies were exposed to a degree as he struggled at season's end. He's not the most explosive athlete, though very good, and his offensive skill set shows a lot of promise, but remains unrefined. With such tremendous body strength, he has the makings of a standout defender at the NBA level. Despite a dip in output and Arizona falling short of the Final Four, Stanley is unlikely to slip too far in the draft. He shows the willpower and desire to continue to develop and polish his rough edges. He delivered four high school state titles and shows a winning mentality that should make him a valued role player at minimum.

Twitter: Comparison: Kawhi Leonard Position Ranking: 1st Small Forward

- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/draft_2015.htm#sthash.bOuCudGX.dpuf

I'm looking back at the Kawhi trade with Indy. Indy traded #15 for GHill, #42 and a Euro stash from 2005. San Antonio was able to keep their #29 pick Cory Joseph and he's still on the roster ably backing up TP - Indy got robbed.(I always assumed SAS gave up their #29 pick)

What will it take to move up from #15 to #10? These are our assest #15, 2-2nd rounders and Shelvin Mack (lots of teams looking for a capable backup) and we also have the future 1st from Minny.

• Premium Member

Guys like Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson, and Oubre will be long gone by the time we pick. Looney or Dekker will probably be available though. Winslow or Russell would be perfect for this team, but that possiblity went out the door with the Nets making the Playoffs. I'd probably get Looney or trade down for Booker and/or RJ Hunter. Man, that lottery pick would've been HUGE for this team.

I'm looking back at the Kawhi trade with Indy. Indy traded #15 for GHill, #42 and a Euro stash from 2005. San Antonio was able to keep their #29 pick Cory Joseph and he's still on the roster ably backing up TP - Indy got robbed.(I always assumed SAS gave up their #29 pick)

What will it take to move up from #15 to #10? These are our assest #15, 2-2nd rounders and Shelvin Mack (lots of teams looking for a capable backup) and we also have the future 1st from Minny.

The #15 and Minny's 17' 1st should be enough. Indy seems to be the no brainer to move back especially since Bird likes assets. Who knows with Miami as well. Those two teams like us really are more likely to want to move up or down from their spot especially Miami. 

• Like 1

This is a draft that if you feel strongly about a player like Hezonja, Johnson or Winslow, you need to move up and get them. Two first and maybe a 2nd should be more than enough to move up to #8. Not sure Detroit is sold on keeping the pick and maybe they might like their mid 1st options. For them, the mid first has great value. Portis, Kaminsky, etc. You get your guy and more assets. They need a SF as well so who knows...

The #15 and Minny's 17' 1st should be enough. Indy seems to be the no brainer to move back especially since Bird likes assets. Who knows with Miami as well. Those two teams like us really are more likely to want to move up or down from their spot especially Miami.

Agreed in Miami wanting to possibly move down. Riley is a free agent player over a draft pick gm. I think Miami would definitely keep it if it wins 3,2 or 1 but they could trade down from 10 easily. The only top picks I remember in the last 13 years by the Heat are Wade, Butler and Beasley. I think those were picks 5,10 and 2 respectively.

Agreed in Miami wanting to possibly move down. Riley is a free agent player over a draft pick gm. I think Miami would definitely keep it if it wins 3,2 or 1 but they could trade down from 10 easily. The only top picks I remember in the last 13 years by the Heat are Wade, Butler and Beasley. I think those were picks 5,10 and 2 respectively.

They lack future assets. They traded most of them over the years. 

This is a draft that if you feel strongly about a player like Hezonja, Johnson or Winslow, you need to move up and get them. Two first and maybe a 2nd should be more than enough to move up to #8. Not sure Detroit is sold on keeping the pick and maybe they might like their mid 1st options. For them, the mid first has great value. Portis, Kaminsky, etc. You get your guy and more assets. They need a SF as well so who knows...

Yes I'm really scared the Pistons are taking Hezonja or Stanley J. because of their need for a sf. KCP is a shooting guard right? Can he slide to the 3 or is he too small?

I'm sold on Mario Hezonja and Stanley Johnson if we could move up a little. Specially Mario has that attitude of leaders and that's something unvaluable

I would not dismiss we trade someone in the draft night, everything can happen. As hard as it sounds, one between Dennis and Teague (probably the second), could be traded this or next off-season... meanwhile let's enjoy them.