• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tales from CoachX, Justin Anderson

NBASupes

A great college player with great system fit and good potential for us. Not sold he will be better than R.J. Hunter but he's a great fit for our system and might generate some attention at #15.

nbadraft.net said this about him:

Strengths: Smart player with a good basketball IQ ... Physical specimen (6-foot-6, 225-pound frame) ... NBA-ready body and good size ... Possesses elite athleticism and has good length (6’11 wingspan) ... Outstanding leaper ... Skilled and explosive wing player ... Does a little bit of everything ... Is tireless, a hard worker and has a high motor ... Versatile and well-rounded player (could play either SG or SF at the next level) ... Strong and powerful ... A slasher ... Capable of scoring the ball from the 3-point line, mid-range, and in the paint ... Improved drastically from the 3-point line this past season (29 percent as a sophomore and 45 percent as a junior) ... Scored very well in a low scoring offense ... Good catch and shooter ... Can space the floor ... Improving mid-range jumper ... Has good mechanics and elevation on his jumper ... Smooth and fluid release ... Generates most of his offensive opportunities within the flow of offense ... Has shown the ability to muscle his way to the rim and finish strong ... Absorbs body contact from defenders in the paint ... Can play above the rim ... More of a straight line drive and finisher ... Has a quick first step that allows him to effectively attack closeouts ... Can knock down clutch shots ... Strong with the ball in transition and can finish ... Runs well on fast breaks ... Unselfish teammate who is willing to pass ... Above average passer ... Best at passing when he finds teammates in transition by drawing defenders into the paint and passing the ball to open players at the basket ... He can pass the ball effectively around the perimeter, dish to teammates of the dribble, and make post-entry passes ... Stout defensive player who gives great effort ... Versatile defender ... Can guard multiple positions ... Has the strength to defend bigger players in the post ... Has the foot speed and quickness to defend quicker players on the perimeter ... Great lateral quickness ... Impressive shot blocker for his size (really good at chasing down blocks on the break) ... Upper body strength allows him to run through screens ... He can secure rebounds in traffic ... Can play the passing lanes effectively with his length ... Frequently rises above the rim for putback dunks ... Does not shy away from contact ... Can body up big men inside and outside the paint ...

Weaknesses: Jack of all trades, master of none. He’s good at many aspects of the game, but doesn’t excel in one particular area ... Ball-handling abilities can improve ... Lack of ball-handling skills limits his ability to create for himself on offense ... Does not engage his defender with advanced moves or fakes ... Relies on his teammates to get him open looks more than he should ... Has shown his ability to be a playmaker for his teammates, but needs to show that he can do it more often (averaged 1.8 assists per game during collegiate career) ... Needs to continue to work on developing consistency in his jumper. Somewhat unproven ... Lacks a soft touch around the rim ... Needs to work on dribble penetration and finishing at the rim with his right hand more ... Needs to develop a more consistent pull-up game ... Despite his athleticism and length, he hasn’t put up the kind of rebounding numbers one would expect ... Does not get to the free throw line as much ... Sometimes forces up contested or bad shots around the basket ... Would rather use his athleticism to go up for boards than getting in position and boxing out ... Can sometimes get caught sleeping on defense, resulting in him being out of position..

Compared him to P.J. Tucker which isn't bad but he's a much better shooter than Tucker even at this moment. Also has a lot more athleticism than Tucker. Tucker was a better post player at this stage unquestionably.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DynNLqxo1ZM

What do you think?

• Like 2

I like this guy better than some of the other wings being proposed. Good call out @coachx. He checks alot of the boxes the Hawks should be looking for. Makes us bigger on the wing and more athletic to help with the Joe Johnsons, Carmellos and LeBron s of the world that play bully ball with our smaller wings. Seems like he can hit open looks which is a must for the Hawks offense.

The thing I like most about him is the improvement he made from 2014 to 15; the things he corrected aren't easy to do. I think that speaks to his work ethic.

This scout seems to think he lacks basketball instinct which could be a deal breaker for the Hawks. That didn't jump out to me in this video, but our offense and defense requires alot of read and react. Instincts aren't easy to teach; its more about having a natural feel for the game. That would be my major concern with him. I think this is the reason we got rid of Payne.

Edited by ATLien_

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Anderson or Hollis Jefferson would fit in well here. I'd give Anderson the nod due to him being a better shooter. But I love Hollis Jefferson's motor and free wheeling play. Both are NBA level athletes that love to defend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

A lot of the weaknesses would appear to be some of the easier things to coach and fix. Boxing out, for instance, is a discipline, not a talent. Paying attention on defense is a discipline, not a talent. Even the ball-handling thing would seem to be completely remedy-able, a matter of some of the individual practice that Bud emphasizes, given his hand size.

I like this guy but not at 15. My wish would be to take a pf at 15 (Lyles, Portis, frank) and trade back into the 1st for Anderson... Not going to happen though.

• Premium Member

I think my favorite idea two weeks out is to trade back as many as 7 slots for whatever we can get, and grab Anderson. Fwiw, in most mocks he appears to be pegged somewhere between the Blazers @ #23 and the Spurs @ #26.

There's been some talk that the Bulls could be interested to ship Taj Gibson and the #22 to move up to be in a position to snare Dekker. Bulls writer Sam Smith said as much in a recent column. There's a lot to like about Gibson and his contract, but I'm just not sure if he's ideal for Bud's system (?).

I like this guy but not at 15. My wish would be to take a pf at 15 (Lyles, Portis, frank) and trade back into the 1st for Anderson... Not going to happen though.

Great minds.

I think my favorite idea two weeks out is to trade back as many as 7 slots for whatever we can get, and grab Anderson. Fwiw, in most mocks he appears to be pegged somewhere between the Blazers @ #23 and the Spurs @ #26.

There's been some talk that the Bulls could be interested to ship Taj Gibson and the #22 to move up to be in a position to snare Dekker. Bulls writer Sam Smith said as much in a recent column. There's a lot to like about Gibson and his contract, but I'm just not sure if he's ideal for Bud's system (?).

Great minds.

I would do that trade all day Sturt. I've been touting Bobby Portis because I thought he could have a very Taj Gibson like impact for us. why not get the real deal? At 22 there's a very good chance either Anderson, RJ Hunter, Oubre or Hollis-Jefferson would be there. At 22 none of those guys are reaches. I like the idea of trading back, but I couldn't think of any packages that would be worth it. Taj fits IMO he can shoot the Mid range and defend. I like him because he would be our best rebounder from day one. I also like that he plays with toughness and energy. Edited by ATLien_

I like this guy better than some of the other wings being proposed. Good call out @coachx. He checks alot of the boxes the Hawks should be looking for. Makes us bigger on the wing and more athletic to help with the Joe Johnsons, Carmellos and LeBron s of the world that play bully ball with our smaller wings. Seems like he can hit open looks which is a must for the Hawks offense.

The thing I like most about him is the improvement he made from 2014 to 15; the things he corrected aren't easy to do. I think that speaks to his work ethic.

This scout seems to think he lacks basketball instinct which could be a deal breaker for the Hawks. That didn't jump out to me in this video, but our offense and defense requires alot of read and react. Instincts aren't easy to teach; its more about having a natural feel for the game. That would be my major concern with him. I think this is the reason we got rid of Payne.

I like this prospect a whole lot! From watching film on this guy I think his game will translate well to the pros..I wouldn't be mad at all if he is our selection..He could end up being a poor man's Vince Carter..Vince wasn't a really big time scorer in college either..

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...