• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2015 Atlanta Dream and WNBA Previews

Chicago has this cute little white girl, 6' 5" and she can and does do it all.

Elena Delle Donne

45 points

19-19 free throws (A new WNBA record, formerly held by Angel)

2-4 from down town

11 rebounds

6 Blocked shots

It had to go into overtime but Dream came up short again.  Terrific battle after falling down

and almost out of sight to come back and force this overtime.

The sad thing is, Dream lost again.

scenic.gif

• Like 1

This wasn't nearly as discouraging as the Indiana and NY blowout losses.  It could have become a blowout, but the Dream turned it around in the 4th quarter.  Ajavaon and Hodges had their best games in Dream uniforms.  They playing time has probably helped Hodges get into the swing of things.  She will shore up the bench when Hayes returns.  There were some other positives.  Turnovers were way down, and Ajavon's stat line did start to resemble something like that of a PG.  Even though she's not one, maybe she can become sort of this year's version of Jasmine.  Even Wheeler had some dimes and no turnovers (unless you count the 8 shots she took that didn't go in as TO's, which you just might.)  Wheeler does play some D, as does Matee so maybe things will improve.  At the end of the OT period, though, you are right Gray Mule - another loss.  Its way to early to think the Dream won't make the playoffs yet but with a long road trip coming up it could become a real mess if they don't turn it around before this upcoming 4 game homestand is over.  DC and Seattle should be winnable games, but Tulsa will be a lot tougher, and NY always gives us fits.  If we win 2 we would be 5-8 before a 6 game road trip.  If we win 1 or none - could be playoff hopes are toast.  (3-10 or 4-9).  But this team has been in holes before so anything is possible.  This would be a perfect time for a 4 game winning streak to start.  Hitting the road 7-6 would be a lot better way to start the trip.

Shoni's career seems to be in free fall right now.  Roster cuts or moves will be needed when Hayes and Henry return from their new home country.    Cooper seems pretty happy with Burdick, but I don't see anyone in the front court getting cut, so it looks like it comes down to two of the following will have to go:  Shoni, Logic, Carter, Wheeler.  Cooper seems to have more confidence in Wheeler than the other 3.  (I suppose its possible they make DMJ an assistant coach, or something like that if they don't think she will ever really play.) I think Carter goes, and Shoni or Logic end up with a new address.  (Its times like this it would be nice if there was a WNBA d-league.)

Also in the mix of possibilities.  Lindsey Harding will finish up the Euro tournament and has been playing pretty well.  She recently tweeted some comments about how much she missed Atlanta.  Was that a sign of something to come?

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

WHEW!  Shouldn't be that close but, a win is a win and we'll take it.

When our two wondering players return, there will be moves o make

and right now our all star from last season looks to be the player

looking for a home.  Shauni doesn't get to play.

Remember, several years ago when the Hawks head coach had a "doghouse"

that he kept players in and never let them play?  Seems that our own Dream

coach is doing the very same thing.

SS had too many turnovers trying to force things and one of the announcers,

when Atlanta was the visiting team, said that she came into camp out of shape.

Still, going from MVP in last season's all star game to complete dud this year

seems a little much.

Nice to have a winning home game!

• Like 1

Exciting game, and it looks that little by little the team is rediscovering its defensive DNA.  In the past we had 3 or 4 players who could steal the ball, play hard d, and create havoc on the opposing team, and an offense that could make up for missed shots by getting lots of rebounds.  Those ingredients were all there last night.  Ajavon and Wheeler seem like our PG team for now and maybe the rest of the year.  It looks like Ajavon has regained her form somewhat and is figuring out how to transition from a shoot to much SG to a bit of a penetrating PG.  Both Matee and Erica are pests on defense.  Sancho and Angle, of course, were the key, and this was probably our best game of the season.

Shoni is either in Cooper's doghouse,  or maybe a roster move is in the works - we have to remove two players from the roster soon, I imagine since Hayes and Henry should be back any day, and I don't see much point in keeping player around just for practice purposes.   Burdick seems to have gotten a job.  Not a scorer, but she actually plays good d - her cover (Messeman and Malott) didn't score much when she was on the job, which is probably why she got so many minutes.  If she can hit and open shot once in a while to keep defense honest or drive to the hoop, that's a lot better than we've had.  I don't think Colhado has seen more than a minute or two, if any, since Burdick arrived.

They may be trying to trade Shoni or Logic, but market value for both is probably way below what it was in pre-season.  At times Shoni has looked like Shoni, other times terrible.  Logic always looked ok but the sample size is so small you can't really tell anything.  A trade to a team for rights to a suspended or overseas player that wouldn't be on the team this year? (Cambage?  Tulsa pretty stocked now and doing great, so probably not.)  Shoni's dog house residency may be like when Woodie put Jeff in the doghouse.  I think Woody just had the idea that you never let rookies play until absolutely necessary and then they would be so hungry that they would work their ass off.   Maybe that's Cooper's idea too.  I think probably Carter is the first to go - but bringing her in at least motivated Wheeler to step it up.  So that means one of Shoni, Logic, Colhado, Milton-Jones are probably looking for a job soon.  They may as well just make Milton-Jones an assistant coach since Cooper likes having her around to school the kids.

So big decisions ahead for the Dream.  But at least, for now, it looks like Cooper is done experimenting with lineups probably because he's desperate to win some games.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

BTW - probably means little or nothing, but Carlos Boozer was at the Dream game Friday night.  NBA FA starting right around the corner.......?

IIRC, Wes Wilcox was the Cavs' player personnel director back when the Cavs went after Boozer.

~lw3

Looks like Colhado is out - she's no longer on the roster.  Still have 13 for todays matchup between the last place team in the East and the 4th place team in the West.  This is kind of a must win - Seattle has been pretty hapless beating only the weaker half of the LA team and a depleted Tulsa team (I think).  So - we have to win, or its not looking good for us.  (Guess we will just have to see who is on the floor today to find out who got cut.)

Edited by Randy

Thanks for posting it.  Logic and Hrynko apparently just don't mix......Surprised in a way Hughes would give up anything for Sam since he could have probably picked her up on waivers given their position in the standings.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

Gee - come to think of it - could this be part of the Splitter deal? crazy.gif

Any win is a good one, but this one was not impressive.  Seattle is pretty bad team and we really struggled to put them away.  Nearly didn't as the Storm hit some big shots in the last few minutes to close the gap.  Once again, Angel bailed the Dream out.  Wheeler had a good game.  Not encouraging to struggle against one of the WNBA's weakest teams on your home court.

• Moderators

I'll get back to game previews once the NBA free agent frenzy dies down, but a heads-up that if you're not headed to Thrillips tonight, you'll find your Dreamettes on ESPN2 today (8 PM) versus Fred Williams' once-shocking Tulsa Shock. QUite a setback losing MVP candidate Skylar Diggins for the season due to an ACL, but they're still plenty dangerous, especially the way Atlanta lets opponents hang around. Watch out for Plenette Pierson!

Let's Go Dream!

~lw3

Another disappointing loss.  Hopefully Wheeler is ok.  She may be our best pg.  NIce crowd though.  Where were all these people when the team was winning?  I guess Hayes left her 3 point shot over in Azerbaijan.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

Dream remind me of the old comedy movie, "The Gang That Can't Shoot Straight."

Question:  How many three point shooters do the Dream have?  Answer:  None.

Question:  How many rebounds does the Dream need to get before they can

get the ball in the hoop?  Answer:  Several.

From what we've been hearing on TV, Shoni came into the season fat and sassy.

At least fat.  Out of shape so bad she can't even be allowed on the floor.  Dream

desperately need her to get in shape and play.  Need her scoring.

Another defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. 

diablo.gif

• Like 1

Its only going to get tougher too.  NY on Sunday, and for some reason they have pretty much had our number over the last year and a half.  Then its a six game road trip, and 8 of the next 9 are on the road.  The lone home game is against Phoenix (Aug 2) - who will be tough.  The next home game after that will be Minnesota on Aug. 14.  The weakest teams we face in this series of games are Seattle, and San Antonio - two teams we struggled to beat at home, and LA who might finally have their act together once we hit town.  So -we could easily lose 8 or 9 games of the next 11.  We could be 7-16 by the last third of the season.   Not a good place to be.  Our Dream could we become our Nightmare......

As always, I would be very happy to be wrong. And I could be.  If we beat NY on Sunday it may signal that we've turned things around and would be poised to pull 5 or 6 wins out of this long series of mostly away games.

• Moderators

One more before hitting the road today tomorrow! The Dream get another crack at the New York Liberty (3:00 PM Eastern, SportSouth in ATL, MSG in NYC) this on Sunday afternoon. Watch out for Epiphanny Prince, who played well in her season debut for the Liberty (7-4; 3 straight wins) since returning from overseas.

With Connecticut finally slipping, it's now the Libs' chance to take over the top spot in the East. Tina Charles is sky-high after notching her 3,000th career point and her fifth double-double this season (21 and 10) in an OT win in Washington on Thursday. Meanwhile, Sugar Rodgers is on a scoring tear with double-digit tallies in her past seven contests.

Every East team at the moment boasts a winning record, except for Atlanta (5-7). Angel McCoughtry and Sancho Lyttle are playing shorthanded without a pickup in performance by the underwhelming Tiffany Hayes and Erika DeSouza, to say nothing of the point guard play. For the rest of the month, it's off to Phoenix, L.A., Seattle, Chicago, Connecticut (for Angel, and maybe Sancho, and probably Shoni, on All-Star Weekend), San Antonio, and Minnesota, before kicking off August by hosting Brittney Griner and the Mercury. Suffice to say, hold on to your hats!

Let's Go Dream!

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
DUH! I can't read.
  • Like 1

"Hold on to your hats" as in "We are almost at the top of the roller coaster and we are ready to go DOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!"?  I hope not.  

Anyway, I attended the Dream practice yesterday (STH perk) and learned some things:

1.)  Even though I have been a basketball fan for nearly as long as Gray Mule, I've never actually seen a practice.  Practice is pretty boring.  I think maybe AI was right.   I'm glad I went, to satisfy my curiosity, though. It probably is a lot like watching a movie being made - lots of repetition of the same scene.  Not nearly as interesting as the final product. 

The best part was at the end, when the players shot half court shots for fine money Cooper put up.  Shoni shot for Henry (and herself.)  She won for Henry.  Several players did hit half court shots.

2.)  If you had no pre-conceived notion of what players were the best, I couldn't tell from watching practice.  In fact, the players that looked best to me were Sydney Carter and Roneeka Hodges.  Angel didn't look all world.  Practice could be misleading.  Perhaps the players worried about keeping their jobs try a lot harder.

3.)  Wheeler was all in for practice so apparently she's over getting clobbered the other night.  Interestingly, she doesn't do her ISO thing that much in practice......

4.)  Couldn't tell much about what kind of shape Shoni was in.  She does look better than the pictures taken (I presume) on Media Day and the NBA ASG, and didn't seem to be huffing and puffing.  She seems to have a good sense of humor about her situation.  In the Q&A at the end one of the kids asked what her favorite food was.  She said "The correct answer is fruit.....but the real answer is candy"

which drew a chuckle.  Having a sweet tooth is tough (I know).  

5.)  Our practice players seems better than our regular players, including the female - perhaps they should sign her - deadly from 3 (but rounder shape than Shoni.)  Though that may be the way its set up anyway, I don't know that much about how that all works.

So it was fun way to spend the morning, but I don't think i'm going to sign up for any Seniors League.....  

• Like 1