• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBASupes40 Big Board for the Hawks

NBASupes

1. Kelly Oubre- Elite potential in our system. Raw like Dennis was out of college. Could develop fast in our system and personnel grouping. 

Comparison: Paul George

2. Justin Anderson- Moved ahead of R.J. Hunter and Devin Booker because of combine. The combine said everything it needed to say, he's an elite athlete like the tape says getting the same vertical max as Vince Carter. He has legit weaknesses like creating off the dribble and ball handling but in our system, those are really bad issues at all. He has high Basketball IQ, great defensive instincts and he's turned himself into a good shooter who could be a very good shooter in the NBA. He will be much better in the NBA than in college.  

Comparison: Michael Finley (Could be even better on defense). 

3. R.J. Hunter- He really has changed nothing and that's what I wanted. To me, he's a lot like Klay Thompson. Some say Reggie Miller. I say he has a bit of both in him and he's clutch. He will be a special NBA player in a high BBIQ offensive system. 

Comparison: Reggie Miller

4. Devin Booker- He won the combine. He was expected to suck there like Portis but he didn't suck, he was great. His wingspan was amazing, standing reach was great and he showed great agility as well. He really stood to prove @AHF right and me wrong as well. He has star potential and has since move up into my lottery grade due to his age. He will likely be gone before our pick. 

Comparison: Klay Thompson

5. Sam Dekker- Did nothing to hurt himself. Did fine at the combine and had a longer wingspan than assumed. He profiles like Gordon Hayward and is one of the most efficient players in this draft. With improved handles, there is a chance he can be an oversized SG. He has potential to be a potential All Star and would be a good catch for whoever drafts him. Not sold on him in a structure NBA offense but I do see potential and his defense coming along after. His lack of steals and scoring versatility bothers me considering his age and lack of elite athletic ability. Color me not sold on the media push to say he's an elite athlete. He's a good athlete like Hayward and Parsons but no one should confuse him with Anderson or Oubre who are elite athletes. 

Comparison: Chandler Parsons with more skill and defense.

6. Looney- Potential at SF in our system. Potential period. 

7. Turner- He's a top 10 grade for me but the lack of need at his position and rawness knocks him down to lower tier. 

8. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson- Elite defensive potential. Poor offense with below average potential. Think Tony Allen at SF. He can be a special defender but he's worse offensively than MKG. 

9. Portis- Good all around PF with potential to be an All Star. Not a need and is underrated to tell you the truth. 

10. Harrell- Compares favorably to Kevin Willis. Except Willis was 7ft with t-rex arms and Harrell is 6'7 with monkey arms. Skill-set is similar. Not sold on the system fit for us but if we move back, he's an option. 

This is a deep draft. Reminds me of the Batum, George Hill draft where you can get good talent in the late 1st. Because of our system, development and the roles the prospects will play, this draft is amazing for us. Better than last year. 

• Like 3

This is "supposedly" a weak draft, but I'm more excited about the high quality options at 15 than I have been in years. Any of those you listed 1-5 would be great picks at 15, and Hawks will land one of them. Looks like they'll finally snag that potential all-star wing everyone wanted last year. Personally, I hope Oubre falls to 15th. DMC, Sef, Oubre at the 3 would be stout.

• Like 2

This is "supposedly" a weak draft, but I'm more excited about the high quality options at 15 than I have been in years. Any of those you listed 1-5 would be great picks at 15, and Hawks will land one of them. Looks like they'll finally snag that potential all-star wing everyone wanted last year. Personally, I hope Oubre falls to 15th. DMC, Sef, Oubre at the 3 would be stout.

I see Oubre and Anderson as SG in our system which really doesn't matter because 2-3 is interchangeable in our system since we have a movement based offense. 

Anderson might still be available in 20s ... He is seen as a role player ... We could try to acquire a pick to get him there

I doubt it, he is raising up teams team board and was high on some scouts list as well. He was always someone who I loved when I watch UVA play. I hated their slow pace and tempo and how they used the clock but as Joe Harris proved, UVA develops their players well on skills and they all have a high BBIQ. Mike Scott was polished. I rarely see a unpolished UVA player, part of the reason they are so good. 

I would take him from 10-15. He's move up that much on my board. BUT... He's a system player to some degree, I still think he can have a role on any team he's drafted from. He's most definitely a system prospect. Klay Thompson and MKG were and you see how their paths varies depending on who drafts them. 

I see Oubre and Anderson as SG in our system which really doesn't matter because 2-3 is interchangeable in our system since we have a movement based offense. 

Definitely SG for Anderson, but Oubre would probably only play spot minutes at 2. Like Scott does at the 3. ANY of these picks at 15 would be great, most excited I've been about a draft in quite a while.

Edited by hazer

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Anderson moves/shoots/carries himself EXACTLY like Joe Johnson? Watch the vid Supes posted above. Uncanny...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Anderson moves/shoots/carries himself EXACTLY like Joe Johnson? Watch the vid Supes posted above. Uncanny...

Yes but I wish he had Joe's great handles and playmaking skills for his size.  

Edited by nbasupes40retired
  • Like 2

1. Kelly Oubre- Elite potential in our system. Raw like Dennis was out of college. Could develop fast in our system and personnel grouping.

Comparison: Paul George

2. Justin Anderson- Moved ahead of R.J. Hunter and Devin Booker because of combine. The combine said everything it needed to say, he's an elite athlete like the tape says getting the same vertical max as Vince Carter. He has legit weaknesses like creating off the dribble and ball handling but in our system, those are really bad issues at all. He has high Basketball IQ, great defensive instincts and he's turned himself into a good shooter who could be a very good shooter in the NBA. He will be much better in the NBA than in college.

Comparison: Michael Finley (Could be even better on defense).

3. R.J. Hunter- He really has changed nothing and that's what I wanted. To me, he's a lot like Klay Thompson. Some say Reggie Miller. I say he has a bit of both in him and he's clutch. He will be a special NBA player in a high BBIQ offensive system.

Comparison: Reggie Miller

4. Devin Booker- He won the combine. He was expected to suck there like Portis but he didn't suck, he was great. His wingspan was amazing, standing reach was great and he showed great agility as well. He really stood to prove @AHF right and me wrong as well. He has star potential and has since move up into my lottery grade due to his age. He will likely be gone before our pick.

Comparison: Klay Thompson

5. Sam Dekker- Did nothing to hurt himself. Did fine at the combine and had a longer wingspan than assumed. He profiles like Gordon Hayward and is one of the most efficient players in this draft. With improved handles, there is a chance he can be an oversized SG. He has potential to be a potential All Star and would be a good catch for whoever drafts him. Not sold on him in a structure NBA offense but I do see potential and his defense coming along after. His lack of steals and scoring versatility bothers me considering his age and lack of elite athletic ability. Color me not sold on the media push to say he's an elite athlete. He's a good athlete like Hayward and Parsons but no one should confuse him with Anderson or Oubre who are elite athletes.

Comparison: Chandler Parsons with more skill and defense.

6. Looney- Potential at SF in our system. Potential period.

7. Turner- He's a top 10 grade for me but the lack of need at his position and rawness knocks him down to lower tier.

8. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson- Elite defensive potential. Poor offense with below average potential. Think Tony Allen at SF. He can be a special defender but he's worse offensively than MKG.

9. Portis- Good all around PF with potential to be an All Star. Not a need and is underrated to tell you the truth.

10. Harrell- Compares favorably to Kevin Willis. Except Willis was 7ft with t-rex arms and Harrell is 6'7 with monkey arms. Skill-set is similar. Not sold on the system fit for us but if we move back, he's an option.

This is a deep draft. Reminds me of the Batum, George Hill draft where you can get good talent in the late 1st. Because of our system, development and the roles the prospects will play, this draft is amazing for us. Better than last year.

I love#'s 1,3,4 and 8 the most.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the write up, for those of us who don't follow college hoops it's good to get some insight on who we can target at 15. What are the odds we try to move up a couple spots if one of these guys listed above is on the board and we are really high on them?

I watched some of Anderson play the other day in the game for pro prospects. Anderson is a heck of an athlete but his outside shot is suspect. The commentators were saying anywhere from 20-25 in the 1st round. Right now the Hawks need a player who can get off his own shot and hit the outside shot plus good defender. I think they pass on Anderson for someone like Booker or RJ. Also I am not sure how good Booker and RJ are at game time big shots. Hawks definitely need to find someone who is willing to step up and take the big shot near the end of the game. 

Thanks for the write up, for those of us who don't follow college hoops it's good to get some insight on who we can target at 15. What are the odds we try to move up a couple spots if one of these guys listed above is on the board and we are really high on them?

Maybe two spots for Oubre but they are probably staying put. 

I watched some of Anderson play the other day in the game for pro prospects. Anderson is a heck of an athlete but his outside shot is suspect. The commentators were saying anywhere from 20-25 in the 1st round. Right now the Hawks need a player who can get off his own shot and hit the outside shot plus good defender. I think they pass on Anderson for someone like Booker or RJ. Also I am not sure how good Booker and RJ are at game time big shots. Hawks definitely need to find someone who is willing to step up and take the big shot near the end of the game. 

He has some excellent impact numbers and he shot .45 from 3 and he changed his stance before the season started. To me, he can be P.J. Tucker like as a rookie and develop into an all around stud with elite athletic ability for a SG.

I really want Justin Anderson. It's damn near impossible to move ahead of Oubre because he's such an elite potential for our team but listen to his interview. He sounds like a Hawk. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Virginia guys end up on the Hawks' radar.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Virginia guys end up on the Hawks' radar.

I am not either. They have the IQ, mindset and a skill-set. But we drafted from a good school and a skill-set last year in Payne. It didn't work out too well. Who knows what they will do.