NBASupes40 Big Board for the Hawks

NBASupes

I was reading Chad Ford's big board updated and he has Oubre 18th. The big questions on Oubre is will he work hard enough to reach potential. He'll be a good outside shooter and can be a lockdown defender.Could be a steal at 18th best.

I wonder if the Hawks will chance it on Oubre if he is there? Some teams don't like players that seem to not want to put forth the effort to maximize effort then again he could be a steal. Booker is ranked 13th teams really like his outside shot.

• Like 1

I was reading Chad Ford's big board updated and he has Oubre 18th. The big questions on Oubre is will he work hard enough to reach potential. He'll be a good outside shooter and can be a lockdown defender.Could be a steal at 18th best.

I wonder if the Hawks will chance it on Oubre if he is there? Some teams don't like players that seem to not want to put forth the effort to maximize effort then again he could be a steal. Booker is ranked 13th teams really like his outside shot.

He dropping like Dennis did during the draft. Many felt Dennis was a top 10 pick and maybe the best PG in the draft but they believed in Trey Burke more. People had questions of his rawness and he gets coaches uncomfortable at times. All those things did come true when he was drafted by us as well but we have a lot of vets and an organization to develop him and believe in him to see him reach his potential. 

Oubre is very raw. Left hand dominate, smart kid and has all the talent in the world. His raw and his only skill that translate is his shooting and catch and shoot ability. He's more raw than McLemore was out of Kansas. He extremely raw like Dennis was. The good about Oubre is his ceiling is extremely high. He can do a bit of everything. He can play within a team system and he's seen as a very good teammate. He might be the worst player on the roster if drafted but he should be the best in three years after that with our development team and how we develop and how he fits into our system. He's a great pick for us. This should have been what we did with the pick last year. Draft a Dennis prospect, not the polished prospect with a low ceiling and a meh floor. 

• Like 1

Let's be real, Dennis wouldn't be half this good if he was selected by the Sixers. The team you go to as a raw prospect means everything. Especially one like Oubre. 

True your support network means alot. I guess will see what happens. Anderson was ranked 25th I believe. I still say Hawks need a vet also at shooting guard along with the rookie drafted. I'd love Wes Mathews and both of those players could help the depth of the Hawks. This time of year you need a bench the Clippers found out.

• Like 1

True your support network means alot. I guess will see what happens. Anderson was ranked 25th I believe. I still say Hawks need a vet also at shooting guard along with the rookie drafted. I'd love Wes Mathews and both of those players could help the depth of the Hawks. This time of year you need a bench the Clippers found out.

I don't see us getting anyone in FA expect maybe one player and it's not going be a starter like Matthews. 

I think Atlanta is in a good spot. We a potential wing in the draft. Sign Edy. Resign DMC and Sap. Not sure what to do with Antić but it's likely, they will bring him back. I don't see any moves made in FA other than signing our own guys. Personally, I think there will be a market for Antić unlike Mack and Scott. I think teams will seriously pay for Antić, especially a team like the Knicks or Bulls who would want more spacing. He's one of the best +/- players in the NBA and his impact is stated by some scouts and GM's. He might get pay more than Atlanta willing to offer, especially with Muscala and Tavares in the wings. 

Edited by nbasupes40retired

I think it would be a mistake to stand pat and just add a rookie. Rookie's generally don't contribute alot their first season and even with Thabo coming back the Hawks do have weaknesses that the Wizards exposed. Korver has logged more minutes than he is used to and really should be a reserve. The Hawks would have enough cap space to resign Sap,Carroll and a mid level free agent. I have noticed that near the end of games in the playoffs the Hawks seem hesitate to take the shot. More outside shooting is needed since Korver is their bread and butter player and he isn't doing that well in the playoffs. Teams who generally sit pat and don't add talent generally the league catches up to you.

Antić, I am not a fan and would like to see him not on the team. Muscala should be getting Antić's minutes. Add in Walter and the Hawks should be stronger in the front court.

I think it would be a mistake to stand pat and just add a rookie. Rookie's generally don't contribute alot their first season and even with Thabo coming back the Hawks do have weaknesses that the Wizards exposed. Korver has logged more minutes than he is used to and really should be a reserve. The Hawks would have enough cap space to resign Sap,Carroll and a mid level free agent. I have noticed that near the end of games in the playoffs the Hawks seem hesitate to take the shot. More outside shooting is needed since Korver is their bread and butter player and he isn't doing that well in the playoffs. Teams who generally sit pat and don't add talent generally the league catches up to you.

Antić, I am not a fan and would like to see him not on the team. Muscala should be getting Antić's minutes. Add in Walter and the Hawks should be stronger in the front court.

Thabo should be back late November- early December. 

We have only 3 spots open. Jenkins, Daye and Brand likely to be gone. 

Edy is 1st. The pick is 2nd. 3rd could be Patterson, our 2nd rounders or a FA. 

Antić could be leaving which could mean we have another slot available. 

Korver is going to be a starter on this team for at least the next two seasons. 

We simply don't have the cap to do a ton if we resign Sap and DMC. 

Matthews is getting more in FA than DMC so were not in the market for him. Maybe someone like Gary Neal or Wayne Ellington. We need another scorer/shooter off the bench and whoever we draft likely won't see the court much anyway outside of the D-League. 

I don't see a great deal of moves on the menu. 

Hawks will have 39 million spent on cap(cap will be 67) and must resign Sap and Carroll.Sap probably gets 15-17 million and Carroll 10-12. Whoops for some reason I was thinking Hawks would have 7-8 million left but they won't. Don't forget though you can go over cap if you sign your own. Cleveland is at 82 million now and with some creative financing the Hawks could find a way to add a bench player who can stroke it from the outside. Other than Korver when he is right Hawks have no go to outside shooter. I see a number of times the defense gets back and the Hawks have to rely on a half court game and throw up some crazy shots.

I would love to get rid of Antić and yes Bazemore. I like Bazemore's intensity but I would trade him for another player who could ht outside shot in the clutch. I doubt anyone trades for Baze. Since I have been away for a long time from the board who is Edy? Sorry  I have to ask that question.

The board looks spot on.

We are such a deep team. We need to shoot for something special to groom behind korver. There are so many jack of all trades players on our team at the wings. we are at a luxury where we can gamble on a high potential stud like dennis was.

Lavine couldve been that last yr. Im warming up to the idea of oubre. I looked into this kevon looney kid and I know we love to throw out kawhi comparisons but he def shows flashes.

Hawks will have 39 million spent on cap(cap will be 67) and must resign Sap and Carroll.Sap probably gets 15-17 million and Carroll 10-12. Whoops for some reason I was thinking Hawks would have 7-8 million left but they won't. Don't forget though you can go over cap if you sign your own. Cleveland is at 82 million now and with some creative financing the Hawks could find a way to add a bench player who can stroke it from the outside. Other than Korver when he is right Hawks have no go to outside shooter. I see a number of times the defense gets back and the Hawks have to rely on a half court game and throw up some crazy shots.

I would love to get rid of Antić and yes Bazemore. I like Bazemore's intensity but I would trade him for another player who could ht outside shot in the clutch. I doubt anyone trades for Baze. Since I have been away for a long time from the board who is Edy? Sorry  I have to ask that question.

There not going to spend all of that money considering they have Horford in 2016. 25-30 mil spent on DMC/Sap is accurate but they have to save for Horford and the rest of role players who will become FA's. 

Their not getting rid of Baze. He brings positive defensive value and they like that. He simply isn't a rotation player. They will likely upgrade the backup SG with a cheap positive player like Ellington or Neal which is what we did signing Thabo.

They don't want to get rid of Antić but he will have suitors. He has obvious strengths and he has a positive impact. Many teams would want him as a backup center.

Of course they can get creative but this team is about positive cap moves. It's one of the pillars that this organization believes in. It comes from San Antonio. It's all about the team and every player matters. Bud gives everyone a chance and develops everyone. From 1 to 15th. 

There not going to spend all of that money considering they have Horford in 2016. 25-30 mil spent on DMC/Sap is accurate but they have to save for Horford and the rest of role players who will become FA's. 

Their not getting rid of Baze. He brings positive defensive value and they like that. He simply isn't a rotation player. They will likely upgrade the backup SG with a cheap positive player like Ellington or Neal which is what we did signing Thabo.

They don't want to get rid of Antić but he will have suitors. He has obvious strengths and he has a positive impact. Many teams would want him as a backup center.

Of course they can get creative but this team is about positive cap moves. It's one of the pillars that this organization believes in. It comes from San Antonio. It's all about the team and every player matters. Bud gives everyone a chance and develops everyone. From 1 to 15th. 

Don't forget the extra 15-20 milion the Hawks will be able to spend because of that new TV deal.

Don't forget the extra 15-20 milion the Hawks will be able to spend because of that new TV deal.

That doesn't go to the cap. The Spurs are worth 200 million more and constantly manage their cap better than most NBA teams. 

That doesn't go to the cap. The Spurs are worth 200 million more and constantly manage their cap better than most NBA teams.

The Cap is expected to rise when the new TV Deal kicks in. Numbers I've seen are on the $90 range.

The Cap is expected to rise when the new TV Deal kicks in. Numbers I've seen are on the $90 range.

New salaries raise with the cap. 

Horford max is still 20% of the cap no matter if the cap is 60 or 90 million. MLE, LLE goes up as well. 

http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/david-aldridge-big-board-small-forwards-2015-nba-draft/

Dekker was terrific at LeBron James' skills camp last summer, but an ankle injury slowed the first part of his season. As he got healthy, he got some explosiveness back and scouts think he's better on the move than trying to break opponents down off the dribble.

"Obviously he played well at the end of the year," a veteran scout said. "Really up and down through the season and really throughout his career. I think it kind of accentuates him because he's great playing without the ball, making basket cuts. I don't think he's super gifted with the ball in his hands, but he's getting better. He made shots but I don't view him as a shooter or a shot creater.

-Dekker

My opinion: Decent player who could develop into a pretty good player. All Star potential might or might not be there. I see a blend of Heyward/Parsons. I think he could be better than Parsons. 

"All that being said, really (bleeping) athletic," the Western Conference scout said. "I don't trust his shot. It's better than Winslow's, but not significantly better. He can handle it. Winslow can embrace the blue collar side of basketball, where Oubre can't. He wants to be a sexy player. You get him in space and let him go, and you can't guard him. But when the game slows down, he can get in trouble. Now, can he get better? Yeah. Can he improve his shot? Yeah."

An Eastern Conference executive said that Oubre looked "overwhelmed" early in the season.

"I'll stick with my initial assessment of him -- he may not shoot it as well, but he's like James Young," the executive said, referring to the Celtics' first-round pick from Kentucky last year.

- Oubre

I wasn't high on Young. I didn't like his Basketball IQ at Kentucky. His awareness is similar but Oubre took the teaches and improved. Important quote from Bill Self. 

“If you look at it now, he went from probably being the guy that looked the least ready a month ago to now he looks like he’s by far the most advanced,” KU coach Bill Self said. “That’s the way it is with young kids. Sometimes the light comes on at different times.”

Young to me was a tad further in his development. He had an actually legit 3pt spot. He was a good scorer and has the potential to be a very good scorer. He had a solid work ethic by all accounts. Oubre is more raw but he has an elite first step and lateral quickness. He is a willing learner, not a great learner but a willing one which you need to be to be successful for our squad. Oubre has all of the tools of an elite NBA player and he's an off the ball player. He's a willing teammate and he's extremely confident and has a will to want to get better. He was poorly coached to a degree. Was Tyus Jones or Okafor where he's had professional coaches. It seems like he's playing catch-up in that regard. I see high riser. Not as high as Giannis as far a low floor- high ceiling wings but he's very high. He doesn't have the handle or the court vision which Giannis had but both players were extremely raw. 

James Young while a reasonable comparison isn't a good one because I simply didn't see the ceiling for Young being what it is for Oubre. Especially in our system. The Hawks loved Young. Would have taken him but wanted someone polished (lol). They need to make up for it with Oubre. 

I saw Jay Bilas talk about Justin Anderson saying he would most likely be picked 25-30 but he could be the player most likely everyone points to and says why didn't we draft him, He is coming off a broken hand which could be the cause of his long distance shooting problems. I believe I heard that correctly so whoever the Hawks draft I'll be 100% for although they should get a very good player. I want a player with high upside not the safe picks since those are more likely to be bench warmers for the forseable future.

• Like 1

I don't see us getting anyone in FA expect maybe one player and it's not going be a starter like Matthews.

I think Atlanta is in a good spot. We a potential wing in the draft. Sign Edy. Resign DMC and Sap. Not sure what to do with Antić but it's likely, they will bring him back. I don't see any moves made in FA other than signing our own guys. Personally, I think there will be a market for Antić unlike Mack and Scott. I think teams will seriously pay for Antić, especially a team like the Knicks or Bulls who would want more spacing. He's one of the best +/- players in the NBA and his impact is stated by some scouts and GM's. He might get pay more than Atlanta willing to offer, especially with Muscala and Tavares in the wings.

I would pay money just to get Antić not to resign with ATL. He's the worst backup big up in the league.

I would pay money just to get Antić not to resign with ATL. He's the worst backup big up in the league.

I wouldn't and he's one of the more impactful backup C's regardless if he has a ton of weaknesses and little skills. 

• Like 1