• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Need some computer help

Sothron

• Premium Member

So the night we got swept is the night my faithful Radeon card died in my desktop. I lost two things precious to me that night. :p

I replaced the card with a 720 Nvidia card. I know this is going to sound odd but can changing a video card affect how websites are displayed? I have the same resolution (1280 x 720 because I'm kinda blind and need to see) but certain websites literally look different. The borders on the website are not the same and in some of them the font and the way the text and images are displayed are different.

I know different sites on different browsers can possibly look different but I'm using the same browser (Seamonkey, a mozilla browser that looks like old firefox) and it is just bizarre seeing these sites look so different.

Thanks for any help. I'm probably the last person here who even uses a desktop but this is my only internet access so I'd like to keep it going.

• Moderators

I'm not an expert but i think it does make a difference.  If it's windows 7 or maybe 8, when you go to the screen resolution settings there is a link that says 'make text and other items larger or smaller'  i've noticed this can have a big impact.  Especially if this is up in the 150% range.   There again the zoom on the browser should affect the web pages but i assume you checked that.

You may also try the "clear type" settings. I find those can change the way text appears, but mabye that will help with the web sites as well.