• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Moving to ATL soon but have some Q's

JTB

I hope the mods don't mind me asking but my family and I are seriously considering a move to ATL and I wanted to ask some longtime atliens who has actually stayed there some questions.

So the boring questions first:

-I have lived in big cities before and 9 times out of 10 crime is normally always worst in big cities and while I have visited ATL several times I really don't know the area like some of you do. So I ask what's the safest cities to live in around Atlanta that also has a good school system for kids?

-Next question...being that I have stayed and grew up in bad areas before I want to avoid them at all cost! So I ask what areas should we NOT be looking to move to around Atlanta?

Now to the one good question I have:

-To those who are hawk season ticket owners....does it get old going to Hawks games? Or has it been in the past even when the team made the playoffs?

Good 'Burbs (low crime/top schools): Vinings, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Kennesaw, Woodstock, Milton, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Cumming, Buford, Suwanee, Newnan, Peachtree City.

Avoid (higher crime/iffy schools): Douglasville, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Lawrenceville, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, College Park, Jonesboro, Morrow, McDonough, Fairburn.

Somewhere in Between: Marietta, Roswell, Duluth, Gainesville, Tucker, Smyrna, Acworth

I'm probably stepping on some toes with this list. Just trying to answer your question about crime/schools as honestly as possible ;)

• Like 1

I live in town. In the past few years I've lived in Adair Park, Old 4th Ward, Virginia Highlands and Cabbagetown. It's more expensive to live in these areas to a degree, but there are tons of amenities. I routinely hop on MARTA at the Inman Park station to go to Hawks games. It's less than 15 minutes door to door. I'd also recommend Decatur, Kirkwood, and Oakhurst.

Crime is odd here. When I lived in Adair Park, I was broken into 3 times (once the night I was moving out) and had my car stolen (retrieved a block away). In that neighborhood the crime came from the neighborhood literally across the tracks. That said, crime goes up once school is out. And the closer you are to the expressway, the higher the chances of being robbed are. 

I don't have kids so I don't know about schools in a macro sense. But parents fight to get into city of Decatur schools and certain Atlanta Public Schools. There are also more charters every year if that's your thing.

• Like 3

Top Ranked GA Schools

To be eligible for a state ranking, a school must be awarded a national gold or silver medal.

Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology

970 MCELVANEY LN, LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 30044

Davidson Fine Arts

615 12TH ST, AUGUSTA, GA 30901

Columbus High School

1700 CHEROKEE AVE, COLUMBUS, GA 31906

Dekalb School Of The Arts

1192 CLARENDON AVE, AVONDALE ESTATES, GA 30002

Savannah Arts Academy

500 WASHINGTON AVE, SAVANNAH, GA 31405

Milton High School

13025 BIRMINGHAM HWY, ALPHARETTA, GA 30004

Walton High School

1590 BILL MURDOCK RD, MARIETTA, GA 30062

Northview High School

10625 PARSONS RD, DULUTH, GA 30097

Johns Creek High School

5575 STATE BRIDGE RD, JOHNS CREEK, GA 30022

Alpharetta High School

3595 WEBB BRIDGE RD, ALPHARETTA, GA 30005

as far as schools here is a list.... I say do your research most of the Burbs are good I suggest if you got time ride around to some of the areas of interest and again RESEARCH ....  

And YES I DO LIVE IN THE   VILLE  ( Douglasville )   and Love IT !!!!   thank_you.gif

Edited by russ7000

I live in town. In the past few years I've lived in Adair Park, Old 4th Ward, Virginia Highlands and Cabbagetown. It's more expensive to live in these areas to a degree, but there are tons of amenities. I routinely hop on MARTA at the Inman Park station to go to Hawks games. It's less than 15 minutes door to door. I'd also recommend Decatur, Kirkwood, and Oakhurst.

Crime is odd here. When I lived in Adair Park, I was broken into 3 times (once the night I was moving out) and had my car stolen (retrieved a block away). In that neighborhood the crime came from the neighborhood literally across the tracks. That said, crime goes up once school is out. And the closer you are to the expressway, the higher the chances of being robbed are. 

I don't have kids so I don't know about schools in a macro sense. But parents fight to get into city of Decatur schools and certain Atlanta Public Schools. There are also more charters every year if that's your thing.

I lived in the city too (EAV) and loved it. Moving back down (Decatur) as soon as we're empty-nesters (6th grader, 10th grader). But JTB was asking for suburbs, thus my response. Intown I'd highly recommend Buckhead/Chastain, Brookhaven, Decatur, Druid Hills/Emory, Ansley Park, Virginia Highlands, Midtown, Lake Claire, Morningside, Inman Park, Candler Park, Poncey-Highlands, Old 4th Ward, and Kirkwood. I loved EAV, but crime/schools there suck bigtime. Similarly, Grant Park, Cabbagetown, Edgewood, Downtown, and the Westside are great places to hang out. But a bit sketchy with crime/schools...

Edited by hazer

I would suggest Cobb County if you are mostly focused on schools (went to Walton and it opens a lot of doors).

Woodstock is very nice as well, but that will bring you a little further north.

I am currently in Sandy Springs and REALLY love it.  You are not too far from the city as well, and it kind of gives you the city vibe.  

I had seasons for 4 years starting in 2008 and absolutely loved it.  Sometimes it can get tiresome to go to the games, but it is what it is.  I would do it all again-- but ended up moving away for a few years and recently got married, so I force the wifey to watch on TV :)

• Like 1

In my tenure in ATL, I lived in Decatur (LOVED it), and East Lake (AVOID it).  Decatur was like living in a township within the city (perimeter).  It was nice area, cheaper than Buckhead/Midtown/etc, but I never had to get on the highways to get to work (skipped through various neighborhoods to get to job in Midtown).  The highways are the absolute worst thing about living there, which you generally have to deal with if you live OTP and work in town.  I enjoyed driving along Ponce. 

My son was born not long before moving away, so no idea what schools were like, but it seemed like Decatur schools were generally well thought off.  

• Like 1

I lived in Lindbergh, Buckhead, Midtown, even downtown above a hookah bar before I joined the military- never had any problems with crime.  As someone else stated, where you are working is really what should dictate where you live to some degree- I don't envy those who have to take 85s every morning- seriously if you don't smoke, you will after a few weeks of that traffic nightmare.  Cobb Co. is a very nice place to raise kids- but if you work downtown- you are back to the traffic problem. 

As far as having season tickets, I don't, but I go to a lot of games, and if you love the team, it never, ever, ever, ever gets boring.  Thinking about jumping on that season ticket wagon this year, and I just dropped the 50$ to get on the season ticket list for the MLS team as well!

I would suggest Cobb County if you are mostly focused on schools (went to Walton and it opens a lot of doors).

Woodstock is very nice as well, but that will bring you a little further north.

I am currently in Sandy Springs and REALLY love it.  You are not too far from the city as well, and it kind of gives you the city vibe.  

I had seasons for 4 years starting in 2008 and absolutely loved it.  Sometimes it can get tiresome to go to the games, but it is what it is.  I would do it all again-- but ended up moving away for a few years and recently got married, so I force the wifey to watch on TV smile3.gif

Pretty much agree with all the above.  My family and I live in Roswell now and will likely stay in North Fulton area.  Cobb County is another option.

I grew up south/east of the city and was always averse to living north of the city.  I've found it quite peaceful as long as you understand how to negotiate the traffic situation.

I currently live in N Fulton County (Alpharetta) and love it. Crime is low and schools are some of the best in the state. Roswell, Alpharetta, and Johns Creek all form a tri-city with great restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. Lake Lanier is only about 15 minutes NE. Sidenote: GA 400 is a traffic nightmare...

Pretty much agree with all the above. My family and I live in Roswell now and will likely stay in North Fulton area. Cobb County is another option.

I grew up south/east of the city and was always averse to living north of the city. I've found it quite peaceful as long as you understand how to negotiate the traffic situation.

Ah, that explains everything now.

• Premium Member

Good 'Burbs (low crime/top schools): Vinings, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Kennesaw, Woodstock, Milton, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Cumming, Buford, Suwanee, Newnan, Peachtree City.

Avoid (higher crime/iffy schools): Douglasville, Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Lawrenceville, Stone Mountain, Lithonia, College Park, Jonesboro, Morrow, McDonough, Fairburn.

Somewhere in Between: Marietta, Roswell, Duluth, Gainesville, Tucker, Smyrna, Acworth

I'm probably stepping on some toes with this list. Just trying to answer your question about crime/schools as honestly as possible ;)

Just adding on to this, the somewhere in between categories have good areas. Acworth borders Kennesaw and there is some good housing out there, but it also ventures out into trailer park land. Not that those little guys aren't cozy or anything..

Same can be said for Marietta. Nathan said above, if you find these two cities in Cobb you are probably in a good area. I can't speak much of living in the city but the suburbs offer good housing for very affordable prices. Any search of Cobb, Cherokee and Fulton should yield good results.

Pretty much agree with all the above.  My family and I live in Roswell now and will likely stay in North Fulton area.  Cobb County is another option.

I grew up south/east of the city and was always averse to living north of the city.  I've found it quite peaceful as long as you understand how to negotiate the traffic situation.

KG, I was just up in Woodstock this weekend and boy, that is a real slow-paced place up there.  I like it, but it might be TOO slow for me.

Roswell is very nice, though! 

Some of my observations about Atlanta

Born (late 1960s) and raised here, so i have a pretty long term perspective. 

My family moved from Marietta in the mid 70s to Candler Park before it became swank and expensive. But if you want an in-town community with a lot of access to the rest of the city, it is a nice place to live. Virginia Highlands is also very nice but costly. 

Decatur is a whole different place from when i was growing up, but my wife and i will likely move there once our youngest graduates high school. Property values are high though

Johns Creek- Roswell-Alpharetta are really nice if you don't mind the 45 minute-1.5 hour commute. However, you get a great school system, nice neighborhoods, terrific entertainment and dinning. There are a lot of parks and multiple rec leagues for sports. My youngest rotates lacrosse, triathalon, and soccer throughout the year.

I agree with the posters that say you have to make some choices/tradeoffs in Atlanta. School systems tend to drive up the property values (a good thing), and the better systems as a whole are outside the perimeter (OTP). I also like to look at distance to grocery and other weekly shopping options as those drives can add up on Saturdays. In JC i have Publix, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Autozone, and a myriad of other shops within 10 minutes of my neighborhood. And, my kids walked to middle and high school! 

Believe me guys I appreciate all of your comments! I've done my research but this is way better actually reading someone's actual experience in the area.....especially from a site I trust.

Again good suggestions I don't have a lot of money but I'm not broke either. So I see plenty of options

Top Ranked GA Schools

To be eligible for a state ranking, a school must be awarded a national gold or silver medal.

Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology

970 MCELVANEY LN, LAWRENCEVILLE, GA 30044

Davidson Fine Arts

615 12TH ST, AUGUSTA, GA 30901

Columbus High School

1700 CHEROKEE AVE, COLUMBUS, GA 31906

Dekalb School Of The Arts

1192 CLARENDON AVE, AVONDALE ESTATES, GA 30002

Savannah Arts Academy

500 WASHINGTON AVE, SAVANNAH, GA 31405

Milton High School

13025 BIRMINGHAM HWY, ALPHARETTA, GA 30004

Walton High School

1590 BILL MURDOCK RD, MARIETTA, GA 30062

Northview High School

10625 PARSONS RD, DULUTH, GA 30097

Johns Creek High School

5575 STATE BRIDGE RD, JOHNS CREEK, GA 30022

Alpharetta High School

3595 WEBB BRIDGE RD, ALPHARETTA, GA 30005

as far as schools here is a list.... I say do your research most of the Burbs are good I suggest if you got time ride around to some of the areas of interest and again RESEARCH ....

And YES I DO LIVE IN THE VILLE ( Douglasville ) and Love IT !!!! thank_you.gif

Very helpful! Thank you sir!