• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you tip? If not why?

HawkItus

http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-about/tipping/89-general-tipping-guidelines

I was raised to be a generous tipper.  I remember pop's telling me to give the barber $2 on a $5 haircut when I was just a little tyke.  I think if you can afford to it is probably the easiest and best form of community support.  Think about it.  Most folks providing services in and around your community make up the community.  Tipping helps the local economy just a little and fosters good feelings.  Just my 2 cents.

I was always taught to tip more than 2 cents on a post, SMDH. {/sarcasm}

One should tip based on the quality of the work. I think it's foolish to give someone a tip if they mishandled their job. You've got to keep incentives in line. I have seen some economists (can't recall who off the top of my head) who believe that tipping should be banned so that the restaurant owners will be forced to compensate their servers more (as opposed to the customer). That is a narrow view and likely an incorrect view of the world, but there are people out there with that thought.

Just my 3 cents {/sarcasm}.

I was always taught to tip more than 2 cents on a post, SMDH. {/sarcasm}

One should tip based on the quality of the work. I think it's foolish to give someone a tip if they mishandled their job. You've got to keep incentives in line. I have seen some economists (can't recall who off the top of my head) who believe that tipping should be banned so that the restaurant owners will be forced to compensate their servers more (as opposed to the customer). That is a narrow view and likely an incorrect view of the world, but there are people out there with that thought.

Just my 3 cents {/sarcasm}.

Of course you don't need to tip for "bad" service.  But, even if you do tip, just don't go back.  None repeat customers are the biggest draw on a service providers bottom line.  It directly pushes the owner to fix the issue.  Not leaving a few bucks is not going to catch a decision makers attention.

I usually tip pretty well (20+%) but definitely base it on quality of service.  My wife's family ran a fairly popular restaurant so she's always on me to tip more.  It's why I always try to be a nice customer and it's why I can't stand rude service professionals.  It's like, "Dude you realize I don't have to tip, right?"  

I'm curious to hear the ghost of Dolfan's take on this topic.  I'm sure he appreciates nice tips after all that hard work he does swinging around the stripper pole and such.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah ill do 15% to 30% for average to good service. There have also been times where i have given exact change after watching my beer sit at the bar for 15 minutes before my eaitress decided to bring it to me.