• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big Question....

Diesel

I'll take BPA with the Hawks no1. I saw on ESPN Ty Lawson was offered for the 6th pick.I highly doubt that is enough to get the no6 pick. Would you package Schröder for no6 or Schröder and 15 for no 6. I think Schröder and 15 is to much. Then again Teague for no6 would clear salary and allow the Hawks to draft Winslow maybe even Mario. Hawks would be able to keep both DMC and Sap however Schröder isn't ready to be no1 point guard. I would also allow the Hawks to sign a good free agent. I don't expect this since continuity and chemistry seem to be more important than getting more talent. 

Do we keep the first?

I know that we have waited for a long time for this swap of picks.  And it's important to keep up our youth movement.

However....

This is going to be our tightest year salary cap wise.  Everything depends on how much money we have.

The pick represent 1.546 Million in salary cap.

Is there a player that we can pick up at 15 that's going to make that pick worth that amount of cap this year?

Other options have been laid out but let me restate...

We can trade:

Scott = 3.333 Million.

Mack = 2.433 Million.

Thabo = 4.0 Million.

Also, what is Antić's value?  He's going to make more than the 1.5 million he made last year if he stays.

So fellow fans and armchair GMs... what do you do?

Keep the pick and draft a player. SA and GS showed us over the past two years how important it is to build your draft through the draft. Last thing the Hawks need is to start trading away picks, putting all their eggs in the buckets with the starters and then wonder why they run out of gas during the playoffs like the Heat/Cavs the past two years.

I'll take BPA with the Hawks no1. I saw on ESPN Ty Lawson was offered for the 6th pick.I highly doubt that is enough to get the no6 pick. Would you package Schröder for no6 or Schröder and 15 for no 6. I think Schröder and 15 is to much. Then again Teague for no6 would clear salary and allow the Hawks to draft Winslow maybe even Mario. Hawks would be able to keep both DMC and Sap however Schröder isn't ready to be no1 point guard. I would also allow the Hawks to sign a good free agent. I don't expect this since continuity and chemistry seem to be more important than getting more talent.

The article said that Denver is looking for MORE than just the #6 pick for Lawson.

Laettner in college,  6-11, 235lbs

16.6 ppg, 57% FG%, 48.5% 3pt %. 7.8rpg, 1.8APG

Kaminsky, senior season, 7-1, 242lbs

18.8 ppg, 54.7% FG%, 41.6% 3pt%, 8.2 RPG, 2.6 APG

Laettner played on a better team and benefitted in many ways.  Kaminsky has a much softer touch and better post game but is a better stretch 4 than most.  He boxes out very well but is too light to be a great rebounder.  If Kaminsky adds 20 lbs...he'll be dominant.

• Premium Member

So if Lawson is worth more than the 6th pick what could the Hawks get for Teague? Doubt it happens but it certainly would open up things in terms of salary cap and a high draft pick.

You do realize that Teague is playing at a bargain basement salary is more important to this team than Millsap/DMC right?

^^^^ This. I cant see Teague being moved in this offense that by all accounts is very difficult learn while Dennis is still not ready. Unless maybe Wilcox just wants to pull a move to show off his power, kind of a "Look out, bitches, I`m The Man now" kind of thing. But i doubt CMB would be on board with that.

Of course we keep the pick.  If anything, we trade up.  This is the last time in a long while we will be drafting in the top 20.  Gotta try to get one more young stud via draft.  Imo, the draft starts to fall off steeply right at about 16 or 17.  We can get a very useful player at 15.

• Like 1

You do realize that Teague is playing at a bargain basement salary is more important to this team than Millsap/DMC right?

You do realize that that also means his trade value is higher and Dennis will replace him sooner than later.  Ideally, we'd keep Teague one more year before dealing him, but most teams don't want a guy entering the final year of his contract.

I say trade Teague now.  I wouldn't count out Dennis being ready next season.  He might not replace Teague's production, but I think he could probably be the starting PG on a good team.  Keep Mack as the backup.

Edited by bumpyphish1

The draft is a crapshoot. Moreover the Hawks can't draft well enough for the pick to actually make a difference.

• Premium Member

You do realize that that also means his trade value is higher and Dennis will replace him sooner than later.  Ideally, we'd keep Teague one more year before dealing him, but most teams don't want a guy entering the final year of his contract.

I say trade Teague now.  I wouldn't count out Dennis being ready next season.  He might not replace Teague's production, but I think he could probably be the starting PG on a good team.  Keep Mack as the backup.

That's a dumb plan.   First off, Dennis is never going to reach Teague's level in our offense.   The things that Dennis does wrong has nothing to do with ability, it has everything to do with mentality.   You can see it in his game that he doesn't want to run the offense.  When you have 4 guys who have given up all their individual quests for recognition to be a part of a team offense and have been successful and you match them with a glory hound... it's a bad mix.

Dennis would do better in an offense where he could showboat.  Let's send him to Minny with the #15 pick for  Deing.

He'd be perfect to compete with Rubio.

• Like 1

That's a dumb plan.   First off, Dennis is never going to reach Teague's level in our offense.   The things that Dennis does wrong has nothing to do with ability, it has everything to do with mentality.   You can see it in his game that he doesn't want to run the offense.  When you have 4 guys who have given up all their individual quests for recognition to be a part of a team offense and have been successful and you match them with a glory hound... it's a bad mix.

Dennis would do better in an offense where he could showboat.  Let's send him to Minny with the #15 pick for  Deing.

He'd be perfect to compete with Rubio.

Come on Diesel Schröder for Dieng straight up would be a bad deal, and you want to throw in the 15th pick too where you would likely find someone as good or better than Dieng? I don't mind trading him, but let's get proper compensation. I really like Dieng, but his upside is not in the same stratosphere as Dennis's

• Premium Member

So trade Teague to Keep Millsap and DMC...Where do i start??? For years we have been seaching for a point guard and we finally have one and now you want him traded even though he is arguably the most important player on the team.  Futhermore, the players you prefer are older, maybe past their prime and easily replaceable.  Wow!

Edited by Peoriabird

Come on Diesel Schröder for Dieng straight up would be a bad deal, and you want to throw in the 15th pick too where you would likely find someone as good or better than Dieng? I don't mind trading him, but let's get proper compensation. I really like Dieng, but his upside is not in the same stratosphere as Dennis's

Exactly. Schröder's upside is higher than Dieng's from a player to player comparison. He has the ability to be a starter. You can't say that about Dieng. Then when you throw in the 15th pick and the trade gets even worse. Just terrible.

• Like 1