• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DeMarre Carroll & Paul Millsap MEGA thread

RandomFan

• Moderators

So Sap will be our starting SF if he chooses Atlanta?

Not clear.  Splitter could come off the bench and play with both Horf and Sap.  We could start all three...I think there are more dominoes yet to fall.

I hope Bud learned a valuable lesson from all of this!

Although I don't necessarily agree with your negative take, I do hope they all learn from this offseason.  Get your work done early and forget all this 'family' stuff.  It's a bidness, we don't have the Spurs cache so stop expecting guys to take less.

It never was realistic that the Hawks would be able to keep both Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll from leaving in free agency, and it was even more clear that re-signing Millsap was the higher priority. But as tough as it was seeing the popular Carroll leave for Toronto on Wednesday, this figure should help ease the Hawks’ pain: $60 million.

That’s what the Raptors will pay Carroll over the next four seasons. It effectively raises his annual salary from about $2.4 million to $15 million. Nothing against Carroll, a great defensive player who developed a nice offensive game this season. But he’s not a $15 million a year player. Al Horford was the highest paid Hawk last season at $12 million.

But Carroll’s loss hurts. Here are some early offseason thoughts on the Hawks, pending other moves today:

• They acquired 6-11 power forward/center Tiago Splitter from San Antonio. Specifics of the trade have not been announced but Splitter represents a significant upgrade for the Hawks up front over Pero Antić (who signed with a team in Turkey). He can start with Horford when the Hawks go “big” or come off the bench. However…

— Pending other moves, the Hawks have a hole at small forward. If the team re-signs Millsap as expected — they reportedly have equaled Orlando’s max offer of four years at $20 million per season — they can’t really go with a starting front line of Horford-Splitter-Millsap because Millsap can’t defend the “3” spot. The Hawks could start Thabo Sefolosha at small forward but he will be returning from a broken leg and coach Mike Budenholzer might prefer him coming off the bench, as he did most of this season.

— The Hawks inherit the final two years of Splitter’s contract at $8.5 million and $8.25 million, respectively. But they’re in good shape, salary cap-wise, pending Millsap’s status and any other moves.

For now, I like the Splitter deal and hate to see Carroll leave but the Hawks couldn’t keep him at that price.

Glad to hear more confirmation that we are going ask out to sign Sap. Glad to know that our front office does indeed "get it". Why would Sap choose Magic over us? If he does it will be like starting over.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hawks look like they might trade Muscala to make room for Millsap???  Wow!

So did we just take SA's problem and make it ours?

Ummmmm, is Jerry West available?

Splitter wasn't a problem.  He just had to go to make room for LMA.

No, IIUC SA needed to trade him to make room money-wise for LMA.

Now we apparently need to trade somebody to make room for Millsap.

• Moderators

No, IIUC SA needed to trade him to make room money-wise for LMA.

Now we apparently need to trade somebody to make room for Millsap.

This is a similar context to how we acquired Korver.  Chicago wanted to create cap room and gave him away to us for nothing.  Kind of like we gifted Bebe and Lou to Toronto.

• Premium Member

Where are you seeing this?

The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to trade Tiago Splitter to the Atlanta Hawks.

The Spurs needed to clear cap space to operate in free agency to agree upon a new deal with Danny Green and pursue LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Hawks now have a replacement for Paul Millsap should he sign with the Orlando Magic. DeMarre Carroll signed with the Toronto Raptors.

Splitter is 30 years old and won't become a free agent until 2017.

Atlanta had the cap space to absorb the contract of Splitter.

Brian Windhorst reports Atlanta may have to make a second maneuver or cut Austin Daye and Mike Muscala, who have non-guaranteed contracts, but it is still in position to have as much as $18 million in cap space even with the Splitter acquisition.

• Moderators

Losing Antić and Carroll and adding THJ and Splitter I think our team is better. We traded one legit NBA player for two.

Eh, with the #15 pick and $9M in cap space, we really have to end up with two legit NBA guys.

BTW - Cutting Daye is the biggest no brainer in the history of no brainers unless you want to include him in a trade.

I don't think Moose will be cut.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Carroll was the best player in the playoffs for Atlanta and he was one of our best defenders. We currently don't have a starting calibur 3 on this team. This front office has some work to do.