• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud wants "HIS GUYS" back

JTB

Not expecting overhaul. Just questioning whether he can be objective going forward. We know how bullish he is about this "group". When they don't win the title this year or next, will he still maintain the WLOC toward this group of players?

I would think that Bud is smart enough to recognize when it's time to move on. I don't think that time is now, we are just getting started. Remember when Bud had to convince Pop to move on from GHill, let's hope he has a strong enough cast around him to let him know when that time comes.

• Premium Member

Depends on if they improve as a group or not. We have given them only one shot at it. Let's give them a bit more time it was truly only year one with this group since Al missed the majority of the last season

Realistically though, how much better are guys in their late 20s and early 30s going to get? The guys in the starting lineup have played their best ball in all likelihood. Especially Korver.

I would think that Bud is smart enough to recognize when it's time to move on. I don't think that time is now, we are just getting started. Remember when Bud had to convince Pop to move on from GHill, let's hope he has a strong enough cast around him to let him know when that time comes.

Let's hope so.

Realistically though, how much better are guys in their late 20s and early 30s going to get? The guys in the starting lineup have played their best ball in all likelihood. Especially Korver.

I don't think it's about them getting better at a particular skill per se, I think its being more consistent and efficient, playing smarter. It's the younger players that need to get better and have the chance to make bigger leaps in their games. Edited by JayBirdHawk

So we can't replace Sap or DMC?

If it's really about 'the Spurs system', then couldn't we just put anybody out there that 'fits the system'?

Not like we are talking Lebron, Curry, Westbrook, Davis here. Not even Kevin Love, Melo.

One day, it's all about the 'system' and guys like Sap and Korver wouldn't be all-stars without it.

The next day, 'we need to give max contracts to the core that looked defeated in the playoffs'.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't think it's about them getting better at a particular skill per se, I think its being more consistent and efficient, playing smarter. It's the younger players that need to get better and have the chance to make bigger leaps in their games.

I don't know if this group can get anymore efficient than last season. I agree that some of the younger guys could improve, but I just have my doubts that it will be anywhere near enough to beat LeBron and company.

The interest isn't as high on lamarcus side....if you were LMA you would pick the Spurs over the Hawks too!

Actually I wouldn't Atlanta is a better city than San Antonio.. And a nucleus of Teague and Horford is better than 39 yr old Duncan and declining Tony Parker...Oan Aldridge and Leonard wont be enough in the future to compete out west..

• Premium Member

Depends on if they improve as a group or not. We have given them only one shot at it. Let's give them a bit more time it was truly only year one with this group since Al missed the majority of the last season

O.K. I'll Play...Once you somehow sign Millsap/Carrol.  You will have 12 signed players on your roster with only 2 guys 6'10" or taller...Al and Muscala.   And we are to think that the rest of the front court will be filled out using only the MLE?   Please someone explain this to me!

• Premium Member

This is the concern with Bud being team president. Will he be able to be objective when it comes to personnel decisions?

You mean like how dangerous it's been to have Popovich in that role over in SA?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but frankly, it's a little jerk-ish to me that people could presume they know better than Bud... AT LEAST wait and be critical when there's some evidence that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing... until then, it's like you're being critical just to be critical... really it is.

• Like 3

The interest isn't as high on lamarcus side....if you were LMA you would pick the Spurs over the Hawks too!

I would pick Lakers, Spurs and Mavs. Difference between them and Atlanta - They have shown to win championships the past decade.

If I wanted to join a good regular season team, I'd re-sign with the Blazers. Hawks have nothing for Aldridge.

Edited by RWF

Pop and Bud in a bar:

Pop: "If we get Aldridge you can have Splitter, he wants to play for you - your new owner down with that?"

Bud: "Yep, he will be perfect against the E.C. centers."

Pop: "Sounds like a plan bro...LeBron thinks he is running the league but we will meet in the finals one day."

• Like 2

You mean like how dangerous it's been to have Popovich in that role over in SA?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but frankly, it's a little jerk-ish to me that people could presume they know better than Bud... AT LEAST wait and be critical when there's some evidence that he doesn't know what the hell he's doing... until then, it's like you're being critical just to be critical... really it is.

You are 100% correct. We haven't played in one game since he has become president. Give the man who I'm sure exceeded your expectations as coach a chance to be something more. Believe in Bud until he gives you a reason not to.

• Like 1

Pop and Bud in a bar:

Pop: "If we get Aldridge you can have Splitter, he wants to play for you - your new owner down with that?"

Bud: "Yep, he will be perfect against the E.C. centers."

Pop: "Sounds like a plan bro...LeBron thinks he is running the league but we will meet in the finals one day."

Honestly meeting the Spurs in the finals would be so fantastic. Master versus apprentice for the title would actually be quite the compelling narrative

• Like 2

You stick with this roster and add the team cancer plus a marginal "big" off the bench and they aren't going to get any better.