• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud wants "HIS GUYS" back

JTB

O.K. I'll Play...Once you somehow sign Millsap/Carrol. You will have 12 signed players on your roster with only 2 guys 6'10" or taller...Al and Muscala. And we are to think that the rest of the front court will be filled out using only the MLE? Please someone explain this to me!

I don't know man...you make sense so I can't answer this cause shit you right but I think budcox will figure it out.

Maybe we do a trade or something to gain more cap space

Realistically...we will gain some cap space by losing Antić, Brand, and Scotty (one way or the other).  Not a whole lot but their vet-mins are higher than we would have to pay for really cheap "fillers".

Anyway, surely there is some way to scrape together enough money to get a player who can contribute above what we had last year.

I know there are a lot of Scotty fans on this board but he and Bud may not see eye-to-eye. (just my guess).  He may actually be better off somewhere else.

Got this from Bleacher Report, is this true? Are we expecting discounts?

Because Millsap initially signed a two-year deal, they do not own his Bird rights. Those take three seasons to transfer, and until they do, the Hawks cannot go over the salary cap to re-sign him.

DeMarre Carroll poses the same problem. He's coming off a two-year contract of his own and tracking toward a massive raise.

Some draft-day maneuvering will give the Hawks upward of $25 million to split between the two, which isn't even close to enough.
Edited by RWF

"Some draft day maneuvering will give the Hawks upward of $25 million to split between the two, which isn't even close to enough"

I dunno RFW...it might be close and if it can be worked out to more like 28-30 it may just work. I'm not saying we are in the "driver's seat" - and I'm no capologist - but if we are able to re-sign both Sap and DMC can't we still use an exception?  MLE?

If I were a new owner I would want to keep the core together that just won 60 games and add just a little something to make my mark.  This is definitely the year to get creative what with the new TV contract coming and more money flowing in.  And let's remember, the new salary cap will have a built-in raise for the owners too.  It's not like all the money will go to the players.

It's a time (IMO) to not be penny-wise, and pound-foolish.  You certainly (as an owner) don't want to take too much of a chance of losing back what you have just gained.

Edited by DJlaysitup

We own early bird rights on both players. Saps early bird max contract is somewhere around 15.6m....DMC early bird Max is about 6.5m

You can go over the cap using early bird rights

• Like 2

15.6 might work for Millsap - if the contract can be longer than others might want to give.

Actually I think it's closer to 16.5 but anyways take a look at this if anyone is trying to understand the early bird rights we have on Sap & others:

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/12/15/7384609/nba-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2014/12/15/7384609/nba-trade-rumors-atlanta-hawks

• Like 1

Every team was. Wizards had their star player out for a bit and we barely got by them (literally a finger tip).

Cavs were playing bench guys with Lebron and destroyed us.

Hawks were a great regular season team in January. Some luck getting to the ECF, then got beat down mentally by Matthew Dellavedova.

Ouch bro...whags your malfunction. Against WAS you do realize we won in 6 games right. And that "finger tip" only would have sent us to overtime not a loss. So the correct statement would be we avoided overtime by a fingertip. Not to mention on that play there was somebody noticeable absent from the floor...his name is Thabo Sefolosha. And stats prove how noticeably and tragically different our team was defensively without him. We especially could have used him in the ECF

Against Cleveland we dropped eggs in games 2 and 4 and that hurt more than anything. But we competed in 1 and 3 despite getting hosed with offensive foul calls, Als ejection and Delly ending Korvers season. Dont hype that Scrub from down under tho bro, while he may have gotten in Currys head Teague and Schröder were eating that dudes lunch. Teague was feasting off of Delly and had arguably his best game of the year against him in game 3.

So no we did not get dominated by those dudes, and no we did not get "lucky" to make the ECFs. Its cool to be "objective" at the expense of homerism but dude you are straight up hating on the Home team to make yourself feel more right about an unfortunate ending to the greateast season in Atlanta pro basketball history.

Take a step back and chill, Breathe, and appreciate that while we may not be in the same class LA or Chi or Bos historically, we OUT CLASSED every one of those franchises last season and our poised to continue to do so in the near and distant future. Welcome to the new Atlanta

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Don't hate on Edy if you never seen him play. His contract issue is the problem right now, not his game.

No one is hating on Edy.  I just don't think that you can rely on a raw rookie to be a significant part of your rotation especially if he doesn't speak english!

Ankle surgery followed by elbow surgery maybe?

He's still going to be on the team. All indications are he will be ready for the start of the season. I expect he will have limited and reduced minutes.

He's still going to be on the team. All indications are he will be ready for the start of the season. I expect he will have limited and reduced minutes.

Yes that was my point. "minus" as in not the same impact he had last season.

My take is that Sap is the player that the Hawks must bring back. The value of players like him and Draymon Green cannot be overstated, with their ability to hit from outside and get to the basket. 

However, I don't think that DMC is worth what it will take to bring him back. Maybe the Hawks go cheaper here and bring in a younger, athletic 3 who can get his own shot. Someone who could thrive in a balanced, equal opportunity offense like Atlanta's.  

Use that money saved to bolster the frontcourt.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Bud can preach continuity all he wants, but if he comes back with the same team the results will be lesser than last year.

People can feel differently if they would like, but that's what is going to happen.

You get to have your opinion, like any fan. But Bud will draw a paycheck from an NBA team based on his resume and earned trust. Which NBA team will pay you for your insight? I know no one's paying anyone for mine. Kinda keeps me humble.

My take is that Sap is the player that the Hawks must bring back. The value of players like him and Draymon Green cannot be overstated, with their ability to hit from outside and get to the basket. 

However, I don't think that DMC is worth what it will take to bring him back. Maybe the Hawks go cheaper here and bring in a younger, athletic 3 who can get his own shot. Someone who could thrive in a balanced, equal opportunity offense like Atlanta's.  

Use that money saved to bolster the frontcourt.

EEEhhh. Its hard to say. Both were and are valuable to the Hawks. If they had the ability to keep both and add Aldridge to the mix............instant championship.......

EEEhhh. Its hard to say. Both were and are valuable to the Hawks. If they had the ability to keep both and add Aldridge to the mix............instant championship.......

I just think that DMC is more replaceable than Sap. With the system that the Hawks run, it would seem an easy sales pitch to get a young 3 in here who will see the opportunity to break out like DMC did.

• Like 2