• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud wants "HIS GUYS" back

JTB

• Premium Member

Cleveland was also injured.

True, but they got stronger in their injuries.

Here's the truth... Our system is like a system of cogs.  If one cog is shot, the whole machine goes down.   We had several cogs shot. Sap Torn Labrum, Horf Broken Finger, Teague Ankle, Korver, Ankle and Elbow (having surgery today),   DMC knees... Hell, everybody but Pero was hurt on our team.  However, Cleveland losing Love was the best thing that could have happened to them.  It gave them the feeling of an underdog (not that important) but also, it gave TT more playing time.  Tristen Thompson is what killed us.  IF we had to play them with Love, we would have won the series.  TT was snagging rebound after rebound.   His defense was also legendary during our series.  Us without shooters having to rely on our bench is going to lose to that team... not because our team was inferior to the Cavs nor because we lacked a superstar....  It was because with our injuries, we couldn't count on our normal weapons to fight. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

They'll win 50-52 games and get to the first or second round.

But they might not even be better than the Bucks this year.

I betch if we pulled up your predictions from last year, you probably said " they will win 40-42 games and get put out in the first round".   Let's face it Hots, you have no understanding of why this team wins or how this team is conceived.  You're one of the ones still believing that you have to have a superstar to win at this game.  Believe me, when we win, the media will create your superstar from the players we have.   We don't want to be THE KNICKS.  Living a dream that somehow, overpaying some superstar will get us where we want to go.  What Bud is doing is going against the grain, but every step he has made has been a step further than we have ever gone beofre trying to do what others do. 

I don't except your or others doom and gloom predictions.  You guys didn't know what you were talking about last year and nothing has changed.

• Premium Member

My view of the plan...

I calculated EBmax for Sap.  Leaves about 9.3 to start for DMC.  For DMC, I would say 1 year 6.5 Million so that he can acquire his Bird Rights in the cap blown season.  OR  4 years 39.7 (we'd have to renounce him).  I think we could give him a PO at the end of his 2nd year.

After resigning the two, targets that we can go after with MLE are:  Cole Adrich, T. Splitter, or T. Chandler (Longshot).

• Moderators

The conversations around here are exactly the same as every offseason where the theme is 'we can't stand pat because our team is not very good and next season will be a disaster'.   Only problem is we were one of the best teams in the league last year and went to the ECF.   Sure we could use more talent but is it smarter to keep this team going or break it up after one season?

• Like 2

• Moderators

No one seems to want to tackle our size issue.  If Millsap and Carrol sign somehow, we will have 2 guys 6'10 or taller with a MLE to fill out the rest of the roster.  How do we do it?

Just to be clear, we won't have the MLE if Millsap and Carrol sign.  We have to waive that to use the cap room.  We will have the lesser Room Exception instead.

After resigning the two, targets that we can go after with MLE are: Cole Adrich, T. Splitter, or T. Chandler (Longshot).

Chandler should be very available. Teams are going crazy for Jordan, including Dallas. I think if the hawks are the first to call, we have a real chance at him. I say re-sign our guys, bring Chandler off the bench and against other big bigs and with a healthy squad, we should be right back at the ECF at least.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Just to be clear, we won't have the MLE if Millsap and Carrol sign.  We have to waive that to use the cap room.  We will have the lesser Room Exception instead.

So even worse than I thought.  So why all of the optimism???

• Moderators

I betch if we pulled up your predictions from last year, you probably said " they will win 40-42 games and get put out in the first round".   Let's face it Hots, you have no understanding of why this team wins or how this team is conceived.  You're one of the ones still believing that you have to have a superstar to win at this game.  Believe me, when we win, the media will create your superstar from the players we have.   We don't want to be THE KNICKS.  Living a dream that somehow, overpaying some superstar will get us where we want to go.  What Bud is doing is going against the grain, but every step he has made has been a step further than we have ever gone beofre trying to do what others do. 

I don't except your or others doom and gloom predictions.  You guys didn't know what you were talking about last year and nothing has changed.

Hotlanta predicted they would have 45 wins and lose in the first or second round.

I don't see a predicted record from you but you were saying around the same time that:

System play doesn't win anything without a superstar.

Ferry wants a team of non-elite talent to win by using teamwork.

It's a failing plan.

I see you been sleeping in the vacuum again.  Get out and look around.   Teams like Golden State, Portland, and Memphis make us look like a middle school team.

When you look at Marc Gasol and that team.. They are simply a gift to pure basketball. Every position right.  Every body know their role.  The Spurs don't have enough championship Swagger to stop them..

We are the Buffalo Bills of Basketball.  We have a few good pieces but our good pieces are just mediocre when compared to everybody else' good.

----

We all missed it so how can any of us claim superiority over the other in predicting this year's outcome?  No need to discount Hots anymore than any of the rest of us!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Chandler should be very available. Teams are going crazy for Jordan, including Dallas. I think if the hawks are the first to call, we have a real chance at him. I say re-sign our guys, bring Chandler off the bench and against other big bigs and with a healthy squad, we should be right back at the ECF at least.

Longshot with the MLE.  IF we don't have an MLE(??) then impossible.

Stiesma,Ajinca,  here we come.

• Moderators

We can still trade.   

That is always available to any team.  Peoriabird was wondering what we could do to improve the team without giving up our players.

So even worse than I thought.  So why all of the optimism???

This is the argument I was making about giving up on the draft pick -- that we enjoyed a wealth of value from guys outperforming their FA deals last year but that we will be much more challenged to have guys significantly outperforming their contracts (other than our young players on restricted contracts and Teague) working with the same core because they will be at market value absent a huge improvement going forward with Sap, DMC and Horford all being free agents this year and next.

I am still somewhat optimistic for next year because we were elite when healthy for much of last year and there is real value in continuity.  I'm not oblivious to the very real point you are making about how adding talent is going to be more difficult now that we won't have Nets pick to use and now that our cap resources will be more limited.

• Premium Member

Hotlanta predicted they would have 45 wins and lose in the first or second round.

I don't see a predicted record from you but you were saying around the same time that:

----

We all missed it so how can any of us claim superiority over the other in predicting this year's outcome?  No need to discount Hots anymore than any of the rest of us!

I stand and accept that I didn't believe in the plan last year.  I am the first to say that.. But I watched the plan work and became a believer.  I'm not saying that Hots is wrong for not believing last year. I say that every year, regardless of what successes we have he predicts gloom and doom.  I'm here to say that this past year was no fluke.  The clock has struck midnight and we still have a team capable of winning 60 and going back to  the ECF and winning that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This is the argument I was making about giving up on the draft pick -- that we enjoyed a wealth of value from guys outperforming their FA deals last year but that we will be much more challenged to have guys significantly outperforming their contracts (other than our young players on restricted contracts and Teague) working with the same core because they will be at market value absent a huge improvement going forward with Sap, DMC and Horford all being free agents this year and next.

So in other words, you think that we can't even match what we did last year?  And you cried so much on draft night because you thought that our help would come from some drafted rookie?

AHF, you're prototypical of the guy I have described.  The nonbeliever who believed that last year was coincidence.   You speak out of both sides of that conversation but in your heart, you don't believe that we're good enough to repeat what we did?  That's fine... because I know that you will enjoy eating the crow that coming your way for THJr and your thoughts about the short comings of this team.  I know you will enjoy eating it because as a fan, you just want to see the Hawks successful.  However, it's disappointing that you lack faith in what Bud has done.

Bud is making us better than we were while Not losing any of the weapons or identity that made us good in the first place.  The best games I watched us play last year were loses.  Our loss to Golden State and our Loss to Memphis. In both of those cases, those teams had to use every weapon they had to beat us and we never stopped coming back.  At the end of the Memphis game,I remember Tony Allen acting like they had just won the NBA title because they were able to beat the mighty Hawks.  It reminded me of when Jordan and the Bulls were playing and they dominated so that teams were happy  just to be able to stay close to them.  I haven't lost focus of how good our team was based on a sweep in the ECF.   We fielded a different team in the ECF.  However, if our players can get back healthy, we will win the ECF.  We're one of the best teams playing and as soon as you recognize it, the better you'll feel about our new GM/Pres.

I stand and accept that I didn't believe in the plan last year.  I am the first to say that.. But I watched the plan work and became a believer.  I'm not saying that Hots is wrong for not believing last year. I say that every year, regardless of what successes we have he predicts gloom and doom.  I'm here to say that this past year was no fluke.  The clock has struck midnight and we still have a team capable of winning 60 and going back to  the ECF and winning that.

If you didn't believe, why are you going on Hots. He's been the same since Day 1. 

I said 50 wins and was wrong and extremely wrong on the Hornets. 

It's too early to play the how good are you game in June. 

• Moderators

I don't know if this group can get anymore efficient than last season. I agree that some of the younger guys could improve, but I just have my doubts that it will be anywhere near enough to beat LeBron and company.

If we would have shot the ball any better in the ECF, we would have at least pushed that series to game 7. And the news of Korver getting surgery on his elbow and the known injuries that Horf, Sap, and others were playing through, I have no doubt that this is a team that can win the East. But beating Golden State is a different story... We don't want to make a team that's good enough to be the early-90's Buffalo Bills.

You get to have your opinion, like any fan. But Bud will draw a paycheck from an NBA team based on his resume and earned trust. Which NBA team will pay you for your insight? I know no one's paying anyone for mine. Kinda keeps me humble.

Billy Knight was once getting paid for his services also.

• Premium Member

If we would have shot the ball any better in the ECF, we would have at least pushed that series to game 7. And the news of Korver getting surgery on his elbow and the known injuries that Horf, Sap, and others were playing through, I have no doubt that this is a team that can win the East. But beating Golden State is a different story... We don't want to make a team that's good enough to be the early-90's Buffalo Bills.

Who knows what the west will produce.  It could be OKC.  It could be SAS.  Hell, it could be the Lakers.  We will just have to wait and see.  I really don't expect Love to be back with the Cavs, but I expect the Cavs to be stronger with TT.   However, with that, I still think that we take them behind the shed and thrash them if we're healthy now... especially if we get a rebounder shotblocker.

The one who doesn't know what they're talking about is you.

A healthy Lebron will kick the Hawks ass in the playoffs again next year if the Hawks comeback with the same team. You want to believe it will be different because... Well, you have to in order to keep invested in next year.

• Premium Member

The one who doesn't know what they're talking about is you.

A healthy Lebron will kick the Hawks ass in the playoffs again next year if the Hawks comeback with the same team. You want to believe it will be different because... Well, you have to in order to keep invested in next year.

No my friend.  We kicked the Cavs butt all season last year.  Funny how when we got injured going into the playoffs, especially the lose of our best defender Thabo.. that you and others can just ignore that.  Did you not see DMC gimpy on one knee trying to keep up with Lebron.  No Korver in games 3 and 4.  Sap whole playoff run was non-sap.  Come on ..even you should be able to see how injured we were and note that without the injuries, we would have put together a better playoffs altogether.  A playoffs befitting who we were thorughout the season.