Mike Scott Arrested?

GrimeyKidd

Dumb question for you legal beagles out there. If Mike can plead nolo contendere to the felony possession charges (plea bargain, in exchange for probation+community service+whatever, I'm reading now it might be called a "conditional discharge" in GA), would that count as a "conviction" under the terms of the CBA?

~lw3

Well, there's a section in the relevant CBA parts that references a special arbitrator could hold a hearing to determine if there is "sufficient evidence to demonstrate that, within the previous year, a player has engaged in the use, possession, or distribution of a Prohibited Substance" and seeing that the NBA is not a court of law ... well yeah. A plea might be seen as sufficient evidence since the threshold would be lower. It becomes a bit subjective for me to comment on the likelihood, *peers over at Goodell*, but the NBA CBA is not subject to the same thresholds of guilt than what the US Court System may.

This is going to be a fun controversy.

• Moderators

Still just shooting from the hip, but the minimum situation I can foretell, based on the scenario where Mike has no MDMA in his system, and pleads no-contest and accepts a conditional discharge in lieu of a felony possession conviction:

* Probation

* Reasonable Cause Drug Testing by the league (max. 4 tests during a six-week period)

* Fine (max. $50,000) and/or suspension by the league, for "Conduct against the best interests of basketball"

* Unspecified fines and/or suspension by the team

EDIT: I'm just now catching up with @hawksfanatic's insightful responses above.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

If I'm not mistaking I think one post said Scott may be suspended for a year or 2.

Well being that Larry Sanders has basically done the same thing I expect the same outcome.

1st offense- 5 games suspension

2nd offense- 10 game suspension

3rd offense- the hell with the NBA rules! Bud just need to release his ass!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/bucks--larry-sanders-suspended-10-games-for-another-violation-of-league-drug-policy-223028192.html

So Scott could seriously get kicked out the league for this? Wow.

I seriously doubt it....Larry sanders kept coming back so why can't Scott...however sanders ultimately took himself out the league

Unless Mike Scott had the drugs in his pocket isn't it possible they can say it was all his brothers? A good attorney can work wonders so if he was just a passenger in a car that ran from the cops and had drugs in it then the attorney will say it was the other guys. I doubt he will get off completely, but it will definitely make a huge difference. Can the cops make Mike Scott give them his blood to test it? I doubt that will happen.

Jonathon Babineaux got pulled over 5 or 6 years ago with over an ounce of weed and that got swept under the rug. As far as I remember Babs didn't get any punishment from the law or the league. His cousin(?) was in the car with him and they probably claimed it was all his.

• Premium Member

Unless Mike Scott had the drugs in his pocket isn't it possible they can say it was all his brothers? A good attorney can work wonders so if he was just a passenger in a car that ran from the cops and had drugs in it then the attorney will say it was the other guys. I doubt he will get off completely, but it will definitely make a huge difference. Can the cops make Mike Scott give them his blood to test it? I doubt that will happen.

Jonathon Babineaux got pulled over 5 or 6 years ago with over an ounce of weed and that got swept under the rug. As far as I remember Babs didn't get any punishment from the law or the league. His cousin(?) was in the car with him and they probably claimed it was all his.

This is why the whole key is if and when he gets tested. The conviction is probably at least plead-able if it's not beat-able. But if he gets tested and its positive, his life will never be the same.

This is why the whole key is if and when he gets tested. The conviction is probably at least plead-able if it's not beat-able. But if he gets tested and its positive, his life will never be the same.

Isn't there something you can drink to clean your system quickly? I thought they had one for Mary but not sure about Molly.