• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott Arrested?

GrimeyKidd

• Moderators

FWIW: The "possession with intent to distribute" punishment in Georgia for weed, when less than or equal to 10.0 pounds (Scott's 35 grams is roughly just 0.08 pounds) is equivalent to the punishment for "possession for personal use" above one gram. So from a statutory standpoint, his intended purpose for possessing that amount of weed is trivial.

http://norml.org/laws/item/georgia-penalties

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Also (forgive me if it's mentioned already, I haven't gone through the past couple thread pages) but the state's floor for felony MDMA possession is 28 grams.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-13/article-2/16-13-31-1

The 10.9 grams found may result in a whittling down to a misdemeanor possession charge for the Molly.

I believe, upon lawyering up, Mike can still get a no-contest "conditional discharge" and avoid a conviction while being placed on probation. That still leaves open the wildcard of punitive actions by the league and team.

~lw3

• Like 1

Realistically - while fooling with drugs and being in a "transport vehicle" is pretty stupid for an extremely highly paid NBA player - the amounts in this case are not indicative of him being a real "seller".  More likely he has access to the "good stuff" and was bringing stuff back for a party with old friends after his camp.

$1684 in cash in the car would be a "tell" for drug dealers - but that was the total of money and he probably had a thousand himself and the others had the rest.

I'm just guessing but at least he was honest enough to take responsibility for what was his (although maybe he should have thought about it a bit more).

"Honesty is the best policy"....except when it is not.

To be honest...even if what his brother said was true (he didn't do drugs) - as a normal person in society - I would be more concerned with an aggressive driver than a guy who was just toting around a small amount of buzz weed and love drug.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. On Scotty's behalf - he was honest and "owned up" that the stuff was his. On the other hand it is (in our current society) a serious charge. It may come down to politics within the league and what statement they want to make. Let's face it - Scotty is a pretty decent player but he ain't no star. The NBA could be good to him for his honesty or they could slam him to make an example.

Edited by DJlaysitup

...The 10.9 grams found may result in a whittling down to a misdemeanor possession charge for the Molly.

I believe, upon lawyering up, Mike can still get a no-contest "conditional discharge" and avoid a conviction while being placed on probation. That still leaves open the wildcard of punitive actions by the league and team.

~lw3

Agreed...law enforcement (and prosecutors) generally appreciate honesty from caught offenders (if the offense isn't all that bad) and if the offender didn't disrespect authority they don't usually go for any kind of maximum penalty.

In my experience they usually scare the crap out of you - then back off when the justice system takes over - especially if you can afford a decent lawyer.

...now the NBA could be another story....

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Again, reading the CBA info, I don't fret too much about the possession part. I fret about whether he will test positive, b/c there's no lawyering up that can solve that part and b/c the penalty is immediate suspension.

• Like 1

Again, reading the CBA info, I don't fret too much about the possession part. I fret about whether he will test positive, b/c there's no lawyering up that can solve that part and b/c the penalty is immediate suspension.

No, there's a section that indicates a grievance arbitrator can rule, without testing, that they determine Mike engaged in the use, possession, or distribution of a Drug of Abuse and then rule him suspended and dismissed from the league. So there should be some worry about possession as that can lead to suspension. I don't have any clue how likely that is, but it's a nonzero probability of occurrence at the moment. Then add in the strange possibility that Mike could preempt this all by submitting to the voluntary program and...well there's no clear path of what will happen. And I don't think it's a healthy discussion to determine what will happen since we don't know all the facts or even an OK amount of the facts.

From what I have read, there is no mention of testing the passenger (Scotty)...or any other passenger.... and normally it wouldn't happen anyway. Scotty wasn't driving the car so - from a law enforcement point of view - it wouldn't be a normal thing to do. I seriously doubt if he was tested for anything. He obviously wasn't operating a vehicle under the influence of a mind altering substance. He wasn't operating the vehicle...at all.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

I always knew I liked Mike Scott for a reason. Honestly, what he did is not that bad. Funny thing is that he was in Chesapeake. What I'm wondering is why he was here in Chesapeake (Where I live at the time). There is concerts in VA Beach every day (20 mins away). 2 years away from the league is pretty harsh punishment. 

• Premium Member

@hawksfanatic perhaps I should have said, "I don't fret AS much." I did not mean for anyone to imply that I wasn't concerned at all, but just that I'm more concerned about results from him being tested. I also acknowledge @DJlaysitup that it's not likely that law enforcement would have tested him, but I would presume (maybe too much?... I haven't come across any of the particulars in the CBA) that the NBA has latitude to swoop in and have him tested.

Edited by sturt

35 grams of weed is about 1.25 oz. It's about the size of a sandwich in a sandwich bag if you laid the dope out flat, maybe a tad bigger.

I think the 11 grams of mdma is roughly comparable to 7-8 crushed up Tylenol pills, the large oval kind.

At least thats what i heard. I have never ever ever seen the stuff. Never ever ever. But i hung around some folks when i was in college that tol me about it.

Edited by LamarHampton
  • Like 3

Lmao at some of you making this out to be not a big deal. Where is the ethics at on this board? He was in possession of two illegal drugs , not to mention that the no big deal "ecstasy" causes the pores on your brain to bleed after consuming.

I get it the weed is no big deal , but its still illegal! Ecstacy is a huge deal and terribly awful for the body. Scott is a moron and should be cut immediately

• Like 3