Hawksquawk Updating from 4.0 to 4.1

Admin

For those having difficulties with the text editor, I determined that it was because of caching in my browser to make it work for me. If you're using Chrome I recommend this amazing extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/clear-cache/cppjkneekbjaeellbfkmgnhonkkjfpdn/related?hl=en that makes clearing your cache easy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I hate to be that guy who has to have his one pet feature but is the New Content button coming back?   I likes it.

@macdaddy @LongTimeFan Not in the way that it was. They radically expanded on new content. There's now a button called "Activity" in the nav bar.  Hover over that (or click it) and you'll see all the new choices.  You can completely customize how you want your "activity feed" to be and it auto updates so you don't even have to refresh the page if you leave that open in a browser tab OR for guys like @sturt who love RSS feeds you can now import an RSS feed of the customized activity stream into your favorite news reader.

There is an activity feed for unread content which you'll see in the menu above or you can go to this link

• Moderators

I can work with that although if you go to unread content all the links (post title, time of post) seem to take you to the first post of the thread.  If you are in all activity you can at least click on the time of the post and it will take you to that post.   I wonder if there is a way to get to the first unread post of the thread easily.?

Alright @macdaddy so I started to dig into finding where to change the default to go to first unread post and I discovered that the activity stream actually provides you with the ability to click to the first unread or the particular post that you're interested in.  Take a look at the example below. 

If you click the grey circle next to the topic name, it takes you to the 1st unread post. If you click the topic name then it takes you to that post in the topic, in this case you'd go to @bleachkit's post in the 'Observations from tonight' topic.  You could scroll down and go directly to @capstone21's post in the topic or click on the grey dot to go to the 1st unread. This is a really cool feature and you can customize your activity streams to display exactly what you want or to filter out exactly what you don't want to see. 

56318c35b5f11_ActivityStream.png.f6e05f6

2 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

So I was sitting on my chromebook and didn't have a Hawksquawk tab open or anything....but then all of the sudden a notification pops up in the lower right hand corner of a "Like" (or maybe it was a reply). That was, uh interesting and I don't know if I like or dislike that feature.

Has this happened for anyone else? I am assuming this isn't a chromebook issue but rather something that the Chrome browser does. From what I recall, a chromebook is nothing more than the chrome browser but as it's operating system (or a slight variation).

It's not an "issue" it's a new feature of the site. You can disable it in your notification preferences if you'd like. Personally I love the feature but some people may not like it.  I don't know if it works in browsers other than Chrome either. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

So @Dolfan23 I noticed a strange glitch as I was clicking through a thread. Whenever I go to a different page on a thread, none of the embedded tweets are shown. The tweets say something like "please refresh" or whatever it is. If I refresh the page? Then OK it shows up. But casually scrolling through pages will not display the tweets.

Are these old posts or posts since the upgrade?  And is this on desktop or mobile? 

On 11/17/2015, 8:16:57, hawksfanatic said:

Old posts are the only ones I saw (from this: http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/385814-we-are-the-most-pathetic-organization-ever-exhibit-728129/?page=4 go back one page and tweets are missing), and it is mobile and desktop.

Ah ok probably because I'm missing something that is required on the old posts to embed the Tweets. Probably a JavaScript file... I will look into it. Thanks for letting me know!  I'm glad that it's not new posts as I'd have no idea what was causing that behavior. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2015 at 11:51 AM, sturt said:

It's all good. Homecourt is, of course, my main concern.
Not really into all of the Braves posts (I'm a Nats fan) or all of the Falcons posts (especially not this year after what they did to my Boys).

Nice that this new environment doesn't aggregate it all into one clump... I can choose from the menu. Assuming other feeds become available--ie, the non-Braves, non-Falcons, I'll probably add them.

Maybe @sturt or @Dolfan23 can help point me out to this bit of a problem ...

Ever since Google Reader was discontinued, I have been using Feedly.com to import RSS feeds and follow all the relevant blogs I care about. Well, I used to follow the @lethalweapon3 game previews through the feed: http://feedly.com/i/subscription/feed/http://hawksquawk.net/community/blog/rss/15-lethalweapon3s-pre-game-preview-blog/ (I think the relevant part is : "hawksquawk.net/community/blog/rss/15-lethalweapon3s-pre-game-preview-blog/"

Well after the upgrade, I just realized today I don't get the game previews in my reader. So I searched around to the Game Previews section of the site:

http://hawksquawk.net/home.html/gamepreviews/

And looked at the RSS feed at the bottom to try and throw it into my Feedly reader: http://hawksquawk.net/home.html/gamepreviews/?page=1&d=3&rss=1

But every time I try to toss that link into my Feedly reader, I get nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Is this a Feedly problem? Anyone know?

• 4 weeks later...

@Dolfan23 when I'm on portrait mode with my tablet, there's a green bubble with a number in the upper right corner that is supposed to be for notifications. But instead, it's for people in the dang chat. It pisses me off because it looks like I've got to check something, but nope it's just some dope stuck in the chat in the middle of the day.

Screenshot_2016-02-04-15-04-45_kindlepho

If I put my tablet in landscape, the bubble moves to above the chat icon. That's still annoying because why the hell is someone in the chat right now anyway. They should be kicked out.

Grumble grumble, get off my lawn you stupid kids!