• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawksquawk Updating from 4.0 to 4.1

Admin

Very cool and ambitious design. My only comment is the posts seem fairly congested now. The "Posts" table on the right takes up a large portion of the screen, the blocky red quote image makes things feel tighter, and some of the larger signatures are suffering from the smaller real estate. Also the welcome message is cool, but I have to scroll down a full screen to get down to the actual content. My suggestion would be removing the "Posts" table in the posts section (letting the posts take up the entire block) and keep the welcome message to the forum index.

Maybe that's just me, though. I'm definitely not an expert on design. And I should mention I'm on a 13.3in laptop with 1280x800 resolution, so that could have something to do with it. Either way I appreciate the work you put in. 

As for bugs, the forums have gotten hung up a few times trying to change pages within a thread. The posts will have the red highlight over them and never switch over. Could just be temporary due to the heavy workload going on in the background that you were talking about.

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

Very cool and ambitious design. My only comment is the posts seem fairly congested now. The "Posts" table on the right takes up a large portion of the screen, the blocky red quote image makes things feel tighter, and some of the larger signatures are suffering from the smaller real estate. Also the welcome message is cool, but I have to scroll down a full screen to get down to the actual content. My suggestion would be removing the "Posts" table in the posts section (letting the posts take up the entire block) and keep the welcome message to the forum index.

Maybe that's just me, though. I'm definitely not an expert on design. And I should mention I'm on a 13.3in laptop with 1280x800 resolution, so that could have something to do with it. Either way I appreciate the work you put in. 

As for bugs, the forums have gotten hung up a few times trying to change pages within a thread. The posts will have the red highlight over them and never switch over. Could just be temporary due to the heavy workload going on in the background that you were talking about.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still kinda tweaking things and was playing with the quote box today and wasn't really digging it too much either. I trimmed it back now so it should look a bit more open. 

The welcome message will only be staying up there for a week or two for members and then it will only be there for guests to encourage registration. 

Your small screen resolution will definitely reduce things. I removed the right bar from the posts screen as it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to have it there anyway. And yes the forums hanging up is because of the server load... at least I hope so! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still kinda tweaking things and was playing with the quote box today and wasn't really digging it too much either. I trimmed it back now so it should look a bit more open. 

The welcome message will only be staying up there for a week or two for members and then it will only be there for guests to encourage registration. 

Your small screen resolution will definitely reduce things. I removed the right bar from the posts screen as it probably doesn't make a ton of sense to have it there anyway. And yes the forums hanging up is because of the server load... at least I hope so! 

Oh, wow, that's perfect now. 

• Like 1

Ok just to test this out...

Okay @ATLHawks3 this is working now that the posts have rebuilt. Just paste the URL of the Twitter or YouTube link and press Enter on your keyboard. After a couple of seconds you'll see it embed in the post even before you submit.

If it's taking longer than that, just keep typing your post on your new line or just wait it out. Once the server load is back to normal it should embed very quickly. 

• Like 1

[sarcasm]Gosh, this site is so ugly now it's the worst![/sarcasm] (looks like the sarcasm tag isn't working.)

Okay @hawksfanatic so this is something that you're going to have to get used to with text editors going forward. The official company line on supporting manually typed in BBCode like this [sarcasm]bit of sarcasm[/sarcasm] is that it's legacy and they're phasing it out. Your other option is to click the source button and then I've added  HTML tags that will do what you want. 

<sarcasm>bit of sarcasm</sarcasm>

Here's an example of the tags used in the source editor. bit of sarcasm;

Edited by Dolfan23

Def need peachtreehoops in the Hawks related links down below

Done

Just an FYI, but with the responsive design ... unlike on my desktop ... the triangle background is pushed way down on my ipad.  

Okay @capstone21 this should be fixed now. I spent a bit of time and cleaned up the iPad display for portrait and landscape displays and it should be pretty clean looking now.

It'll take some getting used to for me, I didn't see anything wrong with the old version.  Always appreciate the hard work of the admins though.  I'm sure the kinks will work out and it'll be great.  I definitely like the easy multiple quote function, as I was too stupid and/or lazy to figure out how to do it on the previous version.  I really don't dig the thread going back to the beginning instead of last post if you previously viewed it.

Agreed, @Dolfan23 can this be fixed so we can view the first unread post?

Alright @JayBirdHawk and @benhillboy I was able to set it to where clicking the topic link takes you to the first unread post. I always thought this was default behavior but apparently it wasn't and I had modified it on our last version to do just what y'all wanted... and now it does that again. Let me know if it works properly for you or not.

• Like 1

Done

Okay @capstone21 this should be fixed now. I spent a bit of time and cleaned up the iPad display for portrait and landscape displays and it should be pretty clean looking now.

Alright @JayBirdHawk and @benhillboy I was able to set it to where clicking the topic link takes you to the first unread post. I always thought this was default behavior but apparently it wasn't and I had modified it on our last version to do just what y'all wanted... and now it does that again. Let me know if it works properly for you or not.

@Dolfan23 didn't work for me. Still went to first post in thread. I did it from my phone,  don't know if that makes a difference. 

@Dolfan23 didn't work for me. Still went to first post in thread. I did it from my phone,  don't know if that makes a difference. 

That's odd it's working for me on the phone and my tablet as well. You might have a cached version. Also, if you want to tag someone you have to click their name in the pop up menu that comes up.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/412086-cool-new-features/#comment-796025

Edited by Dolfan23

• Moderators

Is anyone else getting the above banner in the way of posts? Whenever I go to "New Content" and click on a new thread, the response I go to is partially covered by the banner above instead of being below the banner so I can read the post/thread. I posted a screenshot to show what I meanScreenshot_2015-10-12_at_10.27.20.thumb.

I just noticed this earlier today and I was only aware of it on the desktop. Tablets and phones don't appear to have this issue because the banner above isn't on them.

That is how mine behaves although my screen is large so it's not that big of an issue.   I think that is by design so you have permanent access to those items and can see the Hawksquawk banner.

• Like 1