• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shelby Miller traded

,,, to  DBacks for  Swanson, Blair & Inciarte.

Grant McAuley @grantmcauley

Ender Inciarte, 25, hit .303/.338/.408 in 561 PA for #Dbacks last season. Good glove, speed and can play all three OF .

Grant McAuley @grantmcauley

#Braves getting 2015 No. 1 overall draft pick SS Dansby Swanson from #Dbacks. In addition to RHP Aaron Blair per @Joelsherman1. What a haul.

11 hours ago, Sothron said:

Another trade that is completely dependent on young prospects panning out. We have a Double AA team in Atlanta now. Such a disgrace.

You speak truth.  However, taken on its own, this is the best trade the Barves have made in over a decade IMHO.

I read that an argument can be made that 2 of those prospects could be valuable enough to trade for Miller straight up.

Unfortunately, combined with their other tank moves, this trade gets lost in the tank shuffle.

• Moderators

Here is SI's take:

Given that, the Braves made out like bandits in this deal. The 25-year-old Inciarte alone could be more valuable than Miller going forward. An outstanding defensive outfielder with a capable bat and speed on the bases, Inciarte was third on the Diamondbacks, pitchers included, in baseball-reference.com’s Wins Above Replacement this past season. He has averaged 5.8 bWAR per 162 games in his two major league seasons and will likely hold down centerfield in Atlanta for his remaining five team controlled-seasons. That bWAR figure may be slightly inflated by an enthusiastic Defensive Runs Saved figure, but Baseball Prospectus had him worth 4.7 Wins Above Replacement Player per 162 games over the last two seasons, and FanGraphs has him at 4.0 WAR per 162 games. In other words, he is an All-Star-quality contributor and has performed at that level while breaking into the league and being jerked between all three outfield positions in an overcrowded outfield. He could emerge as a legitimate star in Atlanta.

Blair, a 6’5” righty entering his age-24 season, was rated the 40th-best prospect in baseball by Baseball America entering this past season. His stock fell with his strikeout rate in a 2015 season split between Double and Triple A, putting up a year that look a lot like something off the back of Miller’s baseball card by getting good results with weak peripherals. Still, he projects as a mid-rotation starter in the majors given his deep repertoire and deceptive, three-quarters delivery. Having gone 7–2 with a 3.16 ERA in 77 innings at Triple A this past season, he could be a part of the Braves' rotation as early as the coming season.

Then there’s Swanson. The top pick in the nation this past June, Swanson is by definition an elite prospect, a legitimate shortstop with a legitimate bat that hit .289/.394/.482 across 99 plate appearances in short-season A ball in his first professional exposure. Something like that line with 20 homers and above-average play at shortstop is not out of the question for his major league projection. A Vanderbilt product, Swanson will turn 22 in February and could move quickly through the Braves' system toward the shortstop position vacated by the trade ofAndrelton Simmons earlier this offseason (Erick Aybar, acquired in that deal, is in his walk year). He won’t be ready to open the Braves’ new ballpark in 2017, but he could be in the majors as early as '18, and as a Georgia native with star potential at the up-the-middle position, he could prove to be the face of the franchise in its new digs.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/12/08/shelby-miller-diamondbacks-braves-trade-zach-greinke

• Like 1

Having read a lot about this trade, I'm kind of excited. I'm not happy about us trading everyone, but it seems like this might have been the best trade we've had so far. Hope Dansby Samsonite is the real deal!!!

Miller pitched great for the Braves.  No doubt about that.  He just couldn't, for some reason,

get those elusive victories.

Since the Braves were losing WITH him, look at what they have now, without him.  Mayben,

our center fielder is gone.  We got us a new one in this deal.  I think that this would have been

an even trade.  Look at what else we got as a bonus!

Braves made out like bandits.  They may very well be, as some here have stated, a AA team in

a major league city, Atlanta.

Our former Braves team was neither hot or cold.  Who wants luke warm coffee?  Luke warm.

supposed to be iced tea.?  Nope, me either.  You have to break some eggs to make an omelet.

They have, in the past, traded almost all their best minor league prospects for those "instant fix"

players that didn't quiet measure up to their potential.  Braves have reversed everything.  They

are disposing of almost all their players, with whom they couldn't win, for very hot minor league

players.  If they are a AA team next season, I'll bet that they are the best AA team around anywhere!!

GO ATL BRAVES !!

Patience, my friends, patience.

This is going to be a GREAT Braves team.  Maybe not right away.  They will have to grow.

But, grow they will.  They now have too many new pieces not to succeed.  Not all the new

players they now have will become stars.  Some will. 

They have torn down the "going nowhere" team that they had recently.  They couldn't win.

We all know this.  Why be upset?  Atlanta had two choices.  Keep that "going nowhere" team

or tear it all down, raze  everything and start from the ground up to build a brand new edifice.

Already looking forward to watching this new, young Braves team!

:happy:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, kg01 said:

You speak truth.  However, taken on its own, this is the best trade the Barves have made in over a decade IMHO.

I read that an argument can be made that 2 of those prospects could be valuable enough to trade for Miller straight up.

Unfortunately, combined with their other tank moves, this trade gets lost in the tank shuffle.

Yes, we definitely got good young prospects. My problem is that how few prospects actually pan out against their expectations. This braves team was a playoff team not that long ago with young players hitting their prime. We have traded all of that for a bunch of prospects and at a minimum two to three years of sucking ass, to be blunt, in the HOPE that some of these kids might pan out. Gee, let me get some season tickets for that bucket of horse manure...

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Sothron said:

Yes, we definitely got good young prospects. My problem is that how few prospects actually pan out against their expectations. This braves team was a playoff team not that long ago with young players hitting their prime. We have traded all of that for a bunch of prospects and at a minimum two to three years of sucking ass, to be blunt, in the HOPE that some of these kids might pan out. Gee, let me get some season tickets for that bucket of horse manure...

Not sure what your problem is.  The OF we got has two seasons of MLB experience under his belt and the metrics on him say he was about as good as Shelby by himself last year.  Then you add in a good prospect and an elite prospect on top of that (and the two additional years of team control on the MLB OF) and I have a hard time being critical of this trade.

I like Miller but his K/BB ratio is so terrible that I fear whether the bubble will burst at some point.

• Like 1

It sounds like a good haul to me in the long term. As for 2016 and 2017, well, I harken back to my high school days in the late '80s when they gave away tickets to straight-A students and we'd reject them out of principle. They may have to give them to failing students this time around to punish them for not studying hard enough because the on-field major league product is going to be bad. Really bad...

10 hours ago, Sothron said:

Did you miss 2013? That wasn't a team with a future to be excited about. Especially with Heyward and Upton due huge paydays. Rebuilding was exactly what we needed to do if we wanted to get back to being a serious contender. I haven't liked all of the moves, but this trade is considered to be one of the best any team has made in a long time. 

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Not sure what your problem is.  The OF we got has two seasons of MLB experience under his belt and the metrics on him say he was about as good as Shelby by himself last year.  Then you add in a good prospect and an elite prospect on top of that (and the two additional years of team control on the MLB OF) and I have a hard time being critical of this trade.

I like Miller but his K/BB ratio is so terrible that I fear whether the bubble will burst at some point.

I'm not @Sothron, but I understand where he's coming from.  This is the singular move that seemed to be done toward building/fielding a competent team.  It's actually a great deal for the Barves but, amongst all the other crap that's happened, it's easy for that to get lost in translation.

IOW, I don't know if my man soth has a problem with the deal as much as he's probably fatigued with this whole process.  Rebuild was needed but the scorched earf approach has left many chafed.

• Moderators

It's all a problem with their douchebag move outside of Atlanta.   I would have welcomed a rebuild and the simple pleasures of watching a young team, drinking beer and putting your feet up on the empty seats in front of you while you watch a new team grow.  But Hell if i have any interest in that when the payoff is somewhere I'm not going to.      I understand "it's 13 miles", "it's still atlanta", "it's business".   All that is bullshit.   They made their bed and they can lie in it.   Maybe it will all turn out gold for them but hell if i'm going to support it.   It's too sweet though watching the GM already squirming about the criticism.   If you can't handle it now then you've got another thing coming.   But this is Braves baseball now.   A once classy organization has turned into a subsidiary of a far away business that doesn't give a crap about the city.   Maybe they are baseball geniuses and will be in the Series in 3 years.   I don't know.   But it won't justify the way they've conducted themselves.

Sorry to turn it around when i know this thread was about the Miller trade but some of us just can't move on.   My apologies.  

• Premium Member

And now the Braves are talking about flipping Ender Inciarte for, yep you guessed it...more prospects. They just traded "the future at catcher which is why let McCann go for nothing" prospect that fizzled out amazingly in Bethancourt. All these prospects are nice but few of them ever actually pan out. I don't believe for a second this cheap ownership will fill in the holes with quality free agents once some of these prospects bomb out like Bethancourt did.