• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Neil DeGrasse Tyson Gets Into A Rap Battle With B.o.B Over Flat Earth Theory

Tuesday afternoon, Tyson dropped his own dis track, called "Flat To Fact,"written and rapped by his nephew, Stephen Tyson. He tweeted: "As an astrophysicist I don't rap, but I know people who do. This one has my back." Here's a sample:

Here's one line: "Aye, Neil Tyson need to loosen up his vest / They'll probably write that man one hell of a check."

Here's another: "I see only good things on the horizon / That's probably why the horizon is always rising / Indoctrinated in a cult called science / And graduated to a club full of liars." You can read the full lyrics on Gawker.

That was Monday night.

"Very important that I clear this up / You say that Neil's vest is what he needs to loosen up? / The ignorance you're spinning helps to keep people enslaved, I mean mentally."

And Tyson's rap didn't pull any punches:

"All those strange clouds must be messing with your brain."

"I think it's very clear that Bobby didn't read enough / And he's believing all this conspiracy theory stuff."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/26/464474518/neil-degrasse-tyson-gets-into-a-rap-battle-with-b-o-b-over-flat-earth-theory

• Moderators

I thought this was hilarious at first and then realized that multiple celebrities are spouting this crap - which means there are plenty of non-celebrity morons who will be influenced or who think the same thing.  Why don't Tila or B.o.B. just book a flight and see where the world ends if they are so confident?  If the world was flat, this would be so easy to observe.

This way of thinking (or not thinking) is an extreme example of something that is a real problem in our society.  So now it made me sad.  Something that I thought Neil Degrasse Tyson rapping could never do.

• Like 4

On 1/27/2016 at 1:51 PM, AHF said:

I thought this was hilarious at first and then realized that multiple celebrities are spouting this crap - which means there are plenty of non-celebrity morons who will be influenced or who think the same thing.  Why don't Tila or B.o.B. just book a flight and see where the world ends if they are so confident?  If the world was flat, this would be so easy to observe.

This way of thinking (or not thinking) is an extreme example of something that is a real problem in our society.  So now it made me sad.  Something that I thought Neil Degrasse Tyson rapping could never do.

Sadly ..... I agree with AHF.  The real issue here is the plebians who follow these idiots and regurgitate this nonsense.  Even if it were a joke it wouldn't be funny.  The fact that there are apparently groups of people who legitimately believe this is just plain sad and dangerous.

"I cain't see da Earf curv so it mus' be flat."

On 1/27/2016 at 2:25 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Those 2 'celebreties'   are the only 2 I heard spouting this nonsense recently.

The  hilarious part was NDG rapping.

Apparently there are actually whole groups dedicated to this theory.

No word on whether or not @hawksfanatic is a member.   He can't see the Earth curve because o' the cows.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Apparently there are actually whole groups dedicated to this theory.

No word on whether or not @hawksfanatic is a member.   He can't see the Earth curve because o' the cows.

Actually, North Carolina isn't even in the top half of cattle production by state (34th): http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and-tips/cowcalf-producer/cattle-inventory-ranking-all-50-states

It is much more likely to have been because of all dem hogs, where Norf Carolina ranks 2nd in inventory: http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/41163/cme-hog-inventories-by-state/ (we'll catch those losers from Iowa next year).

How was Biscuitville? Get the Ultimate Ham? It's top notch.  Oh and if you're out near Hickory then try Ned's BBQ I hear it's wonderful.

42 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

Actually, North Carolina isn't even in the top half of cattle production by state (34th): http://www.cattlenetwork.com/advice-and-tips/cowcalf-producer/cattle-inventory-ranking-all-50-states

It is much more likely to have been because of all dem hogs, where Norf Carolina ranks 2nd in inventory: http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/41163/cme-hog-inventories-by-state/ (we'll catch those losers from Iowa next year).

How was Biscuitville? Get the Ultimate Ham? It's top notch.  Oh and if you're out near Hickory then try Ned's BBQ I hear it's wonderful.

Apparently all Hickory Biscuitville locations have been closed.  I'm a little pissed about it.  I will find Ned's and will hope it's not some rando's house/molesty van.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, HawkItus said:

the Flat Earth Society has been around a long time.  Same with the Moon Hoaxers and Yetti believers.   It is harmless because none of them dictate policy.  

What depresses me is that it is the kind of "ignore those corrupt ivory tower scientists, I know better" attitude taken to the extreme.  In less extreme versions, it absolutely does dictate policy.  

I just don't get the mentality that people have to hold onto a belief like this.

You find it in society when people are heavily disenfranchised.  From the Mason's to the Gnostic of biblical times.   People want to believe that there is a secret knowledge that is being withheld from them.   In other words many people feel like "this can't be life" and will swallow and obvious lie just not to believe the truth.