• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maria Sharapova...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was listening to the four letters radio today.  Early on, there was speculation that Sharapova was going to announce her retirement due to injury.  As the host started talking, there was a lot of praise for her because she is the highest paid woman in sports.   I started to think about that.   Serena Williams has made it her mission to Beat Sharapova's ass all over tennis and still... Sharapova has made more money.   Again...  19 - 2 is their head to head record.   Williams is probably the greatest woman athlete ever... and yet...  Sharapova is going home with a larger check.  On the average, Sharapova has made 10 Million more  than Serena per year that both has played yet... Serena dominated the competition on the court.

That was my 12:30 rant.

However, at 3:00,  breaking news..  Sharapova annouced that she had failed her drug test.

You would think that this would be the end of the Sherapova love.  Just like Bonds, McGwire, etc...  But no...

Instead, first thing from the host's mouth...

"Sharapova was SMART for getting out in front of this thing."

Interestingly, this comes on the same day as Peyton Manning retirement.  "going out on top".  However, when I hear Peyton's response to the claim that he was shipped PEDs... (i.e. sending his goon squad to make the informant change his story)...  I start to think... The media definitely covers Black and White differently.  Even when you think Mark McGwire vs. Barry Bonds.    I looked at this AP story about Mark McGwire's steroid use:
"

On Monday, McGwire called Pat Maris, the widow of Roger Maris, who had held the home run record with 61 in 1961, and admitted taking steroids.

"I felt that I needed to do that," McGwire told Costas. "They've been great supporters of mine. She was disappointed and she has every right to be."

Told by Costas that certain Maris family members have said that they now consider Roger Maris' 61 the authentic home run record, McGwire responded: "They have every right to."

Maris' son Rich told the San Francisco Chronicle that McGwire was "pretty choked up" when he called Pat Maris.

"My mom was very touched by his call. She felt sorry for Mark -- that he's going through this. She conveyed that we all make mistakes and move on from there," Rich Maris told the newspaper.

"[McGwire's steroid use] is something we thought all along. It wasn't so much a surprise, but I feel bad for Mark. He's a very genuine guy and we're close to him -- we love him like a brother. I'm glad he got it out," Maris told the newspaper."

Are you kidding me.

Bonds is still villified.  McGwire, you don't hear much from.

I despise Sharapova. I'm not saying I'm a Serena fan either. She's not very classy and a sore loser. Gimme Gabriella Sabatini all day everyday.

Also don't like Peniis Williams.

13 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I despise Sharapova. I'm not saying I'm a Serena fan either. She's not very classy and a sore loser. Gimme Gabriella Sabatini all day everyday.

Also don't like Peniis Williams.

Gimme Anna Kournikova all night day long (hehe).  

@Diesel, this is news like it's news that the sun came up yesterday.  Even so, looks like Madison Ave is responding as Nike and Tag Heuer have cut ties with her ....

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/08/nike-and-tag-heuer-cut-ties-with-maria-sharapova

All I've heard on this story (since the only time I watch BSPN is when one of my teams is on and I can't view ANYWHERE else) is the brief update as I'm listening to NBARadio.  Even there it's portrayed as 'oh, she got popped for a supplement she's been taking her whole career and it just got sneaked onto the ban list'.  I was thinking 'ah, i guess it was just a dietary supplement or something' so I was surprised to see Nike/Tag drop her so fast.  Clearly this must be more serious than it's being portrayed in the media.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Diesel  Are you just coming to terms with this?

Do you ever really come to terms with it.   It gets more and more blatant daily.

Sharapova was celebrated and paid more than the most dominant woman that the sport has ever seen.   And even in her cheating, she's still seen as "doing the right thing".

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Diesel said:

I was listening to the four letters radio today.  Early on, there was speculation that Sharapova was going to announce her retirement due to injury.  As the host started talking, there was a lot of praise for her because she is the highest paid woman in sports.   I started to think about that.   Serena Williams has made it her mission to Beat Sharapova's ass all over tennis and still... Sharapova has made more money.   Again...  19 - 2 is their head to head record.   Williams is probably the greatest woman athlete ever... and yet...  Sharapova is going home with a larger check.  On the average, Sharapova has made 10 Million more  than Serena per year that both has played yet... Serena dominated the competition on the court.

That was my 12:30 rant.

However, at 3:00,  breaking news..  Sharapova annouced that she had failed her drug test.

You would think that this would be the end of the Sherapova love.  Just like Bonds, McGwire, etc...  But no...

Instead, first thing from the host's mouth...

"Sharapova was SMART for getting out in front of this thing."

Interestingly, this comes on the same day as Peyton Manning retirement.  "going out on top".  However, when I hear Peyton's response to the claim that he was shipped PEDs... (i.e. sending his goon squad to make the informant change his story)...  I start to think... The media definitely covers Black and White differently.  Even when you think Mark McGwire vs. Barry Bonds.    I looked at this AP story about Mark McGwire's steroid use:
"

Are you kidding me.

Bonds is still villified.  McGwire, you don't hear much from.

Why are you not getting this?   When you own up to what you did and apologize a lot of people will forgive you.  (i still hate mcguire btw)   When you are a narcissistic asshole who acts like everyone owes you a favor and lie to everyone's faces then people hate you.   See Barry Bonds and Pete Rose.   

Z2Q==

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Do you ever really come to terms with it.   It gets more and more blatant daily.

Sharapova was celebrated and paid more than the most dominant woman that the sport has ever seen.   And even in her cheating, she's still seen as "doing the right thing".

Dont get me wrong.  I don't think any of these PEDlers should be free from scorn because what they did didn't just elevate them it adversely affected the lives of their competition that was playing fair.   

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Gimme Anna Kournikova all night day long (hehe).  

@Diesel, this is news like it's news that the sun came up yesterday.  Even so, looks like Madison Ave is responding as Nike and Tag Heuer have cut ties with her ....

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/08/nike-and-tag-heuer-cut-ties-with-maria-sharapova

All I've heard on this story (since the only time I watch BSPN is when one of my teams is on and I can't view ANYWHERE else) is the brief update as I'm listening to NBARadio.  Even there it's portrayed as 'oh, she got popped for a supplement she's been taking her whole career and it just got sneaked onto the ban list'.  I was thinking 'ah, i guess it was just a dietary supplement or something' so I was surprised to see Nike/Tag drop her so fast.  Clearly this must be more serious than it's being portrayed in the media.

It's a drug that increases blood flow.   It's very useful for somebody who is doping.

Therefore, it's surprising that it has taken this long to get on the banned substance list.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Why are you not getting this?   When you own up to what you did and apologize a lot of people will forgive you.  (i still hate mcguire btw)   When you are a narcissistic asshole who acts like everyone owes you a favor and lie to everyone's faces then people hate you.   See Barry Bonds and Pete Rose.   

Z2Q==

Own up to what you did??  You mean like Tom Brady?  or Like Peyton Manning? or like Ben Rothlisburger?  or like Michael Vick?

Narcissistic a-hole like Tom Brady?  or like Roger "not guilty" Clemens??

It's funny how Vick is treated vs. Rothlisburger.

I'm willing to bet that Clemens will make it into the Hall of fame and Bonds won't.

I'm guessing that Tom Brady will never have to worry about deflate gate anymore.

And the fact that T.O. is not a first ballot hall of famer speaks to the point that what you do on the field doesn't really matter.   it's a joke.

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's a drug that increases blood flow.   It's very useful for somebody who is doping.

Therefore, it's surprising that it has taken this long to get on the banned substance list.

Ah.  That makes it more interesting that media folks are still going out of their way to try to protect her.  The update guy's now saying she 'forgot to check the banned list' and 'it's something she's taken her whole career'.  Well, if (a) it's indicative of possible doping and (b) she's been taking it her whole career ..... do I have to put 2-and-2 together?

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well, in fairness, Vick did fight dogs.  All Roethlisberger did was rape women so ...

• Moderators
Just now, Diesel said:

Own up to what you did??  You mean like Tom Brady?  or Like Peyton Manning? or like Ben Rothlisburger?  or like Michael Vick?

Narcissistic a-hole like Tom Brady?  or like Roger "not guilty" Clemens??

I'm willing to bet that Clemens will make it into the Hall of fame and Bonds won't.

I'm guessing that Tom Brady will never have to worry about deflate gate anymore.

No I'm talking about Barry Bonds.   Like i said I have no love for any of those guys who cheated.   I actually have respect for Vick because he's made amends for real and quietly and he continues to do so.     I don't really know anything about roids in football but Brady is an ass in general and Rothlisburger should have gone to jail.  Plus he's an idiot anyway.

But don't start this just to try to prop up your guy who is worse than any of them.   There is but one true home run king.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Why are you not getting this?   When you own up to what you did and apologize a lot of people will forgive you.  (i still hate mcguire btw)   When you are a narcissistic asshole who acts like everyone owes you a favor and lie to everyone's faces then people hate you.   See Barry Bonds and Pete Rose.   2Q==

Rose and Bonds continue to be bashed for a variety of reasons - all justified.  For Bonds, the fact that he treated the media like crap gives them extra ammunition.

Compare the outrage with Sammy Sosa and Bonds.  Sosa treated the media really well and played the good guy image to the hilt.  He never fell on the sword like McGuire (who still deserves to be bashed) but was allowed to slink away into obscurity instead of being bashed repeatedly and held up as the symbol of all that is wrong with baseball like Bonds.  Part of that is because Bonds was a HOFer pre-roids, but a bigger part is that he gave the media his time and positive attention while Bonds wouldn't wipe his *** with them, he looked down on them so much.

I see Bonds being in a unique role for these reasons:

1. He was the biggest star of all these home run hitters (therefore the biggest target).
  2. His steroid use led him to tarnish two of the greatest records in MLB history so he has a place in history none of these other scum bags fill (unlike Sosa, Mac, etc. you can't just forget about him due to the record book).
  3. He was an a-hole to all the writers who now bash him (unlike Mac, Sosa, etc. they couldn't wait to get their licks in after years of him making them feel worthless).
  4. He never admitted his use and continued to argue in the media that PEDs dont' affect performance (which sets him up as the perfect target to debate unlike the quiet Sosa, etc.).

I will say that it pisses me off royally that McGuire was allowed to be a coach in MLB.  I would have banned him if I were in charge of the game.  I don't care if he apologizes to Hank and Maris every day for the next decade.  I'm not saying his life should be over but his connection to MLB should be.

• Like 1

• Moderators

On the subject of how much money Sharapova made, I think Kornikova is your perfect explanation.  Kornikova never did anything of real importance in professional tennis but she made a ton of money because of how she looks in a bikini.  Sharapova has made most of her money off the court using a similar approach.  Serena is by far the better player and I'm sure she has made more money on the court while not doing as much to cultivate her image off of it (and sadly looks are a huge part of the revenue for female tennis stars as well as some male athletes like David Beckham).  

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Rose and Bonds continue to be bashed for a variety of reasons - all justified.  For Bonds, the fact that he treated the media like crap gives them extra ammunition.

Compare the outrage with Sammy Sosa and Bonds.  Sosa treated the media really well and played the good guy image to the hilt.  He never fell on the sword like McGuire (who still deserves to be bashed) but was allowed to slink away into obscurity instead of being bashed repeatedly and held up as the symbol of all that is wrong with baseball like Bonds.  Part of that is because Bonds was a HOFer pre-roids, but a bigger part is that he gave the media his time and positive attention while Bonds wouldn't wipe his *** with them, he looked down on them so much.

I see Bonds being in a unique role for these reasons:

1. He was the biggest star of all these home run hitters (therefore the biggest target).
  2. His steroid use led him to tarnish two of the greatest records in MLB history so he has a place in history none of these other scum bags fill (unlike Sosa, Mac, etc. you can't just forget about him due to the record book).
  3. He was an a-hole to all the writers who now bash him (unlike Mac, Sosa, etc. they couldn't wait to get their licks in after years of him making them feel worthless).
  4. He never admitted his use and continued to argue in the media that PEDs dont' affect performance (which sets him up as the perfect target to debate unlike the quiet Sosa, etc.).

I will say that it pisses me off royally that McGuire was allowed to be a coach in MLB.  I would have banned him if I were in charge of the game.  I don't care if he apologizes to Hank and Maris every day for the next decade.  I'm not saying his life should be over but his connection to MLB should be.

You're spot on here (it literally pains me to say that).  It's why I absolutely HATE the media (well, most of them).  The notion that they use their jobs to punish guys under the absolute farce of 'journalistic integrity' completely galls me.  They feed their personal vitriol to folks and, when questioned, they turn into Buddy Haskle(sp?) and pretend they have no bias.

The fact that Bonds didn't lick the media's collective boots should have no bearing on how he's treated in their stories.  NONE!  That said, we're all human so I do understand why it does.  To me though, that means they can no longer claim to be unbiased observers.  You can't pick and choose.

I absolutely bristle at the notion that HOF voters "force a guy to sit a year" to punish them for something or another.  Or that TO isn't a HOFer since writers didn't like him.  Well, the question is whether or not he's one of the greats, not whether or not he gave you the quote you wanted.   Whole different discussion but, again, I can't stand when these guys try to interject themselves in the story.

Find an article about Bonds calling up Hank Aaron and apologizing for cheating him out of his HR record and you might have a point. 

People love a redemption story and are very forgiving when someone owns up to their mistakes. Vick was the worst person on the planet when people found out about those dogs, but he served his time and said some nice words and then one good season later he was named Comeback Player of the Year. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, High5 said:

Find an article about Bonds calling up Hank Aaron and apologizing for cheating him out of his HR record and you might have a point. 

People love a redemption story and are very forgiving when someone owns up to their mistakes. Vick was the worst person on the planet when people found out about those dogs, but he served his time and said some nice words and then one good season later he was named Comeback Player of the Year. 

It is a basic media plan to build someone up, tear them down and then give them a hug when they beg forgiveness.

On a completely separate issue, I think Vick was fried so badly for the dogs in part because it was so inapplicable to every other player in the league.  You smash Vick and there is no real collateral damage.  With abuse of women, that is a whole kettle of worms for the NFL.  Focus too much on that and you are entering a quagmire because your league is filled with violent people too many of whom have (or have been accused of) assault, battery, rape, etc. in violence against women.  So the league and NFL media both have an interest in not poking that bear in the same way you could with Vick's abuse of those dogs.  The Ray Rice incident would never have hit the national media if video didn't emerge.  That forced the league's and media's hand to cover the issue.  Without that video, Rice never gets 1% of the attention he got.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, kg01 said:

You're spot on here (it literally pains me to say that).  It's why I absolutely HATE the media (well, most of them).  The notion that they use their jobs to punish guys under the absolute farce of 'journalistic integrity' completely galls me.  They feed their personal vitriol to folks and, when questioned, they turn into Buddy Haskle(sp?) and pretend they have no bias.

The fact that Bonds didn't lick the media's collective boots should have no bearing on how he's treated in their stories.  NONE!  That said, we're all human so I do understand why it does.  To me though, that means they can no longer claim to be unbiased observers.  You can't pick and choose.

I absolutely bristle at the notion that HOF voters "force a guy to sit a year" to punish them for something or another.  Or that TO isn't a HOFer since writers didn't like him.  Well, the question is whether or not he's one of the greats, not whether or not he gave you the quote you wanted.   Whole different discussion but, again, I can't stand when these guys try to interject themselves in the story.

Gotta agree with KG here.   The media shouldn't be deciding who are great and HOF worthy if their measuring stick for HOF worthiness is how they feel??  Moreover, it's the media who villifies players to begin with.   TO definitely should have been first ballot.  Bonds will never be HOFer.  Pete Rose can't be HOF.  This makes no sense.