• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Maria Sharapova...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Last season, Vick was the backup in Pittsburgh.  He was just as hated as he was when originally Charged.  Honestly, Vick was charged for fronting the money for his cousins dog-fighting league and betting on the dogs.   He did more time than people who actually have hibitually been arrested for fighting dogs.   He paid more to the Animal programs than ANYBODY Ever.    And though the league let him back in, it was not the redemption story we make it out to be.   I mean, Rothlisburger has been accused by four different women of rape... and any Sunday that he's healthy, he can play and will  be cheered and pointed out by the media as a great QB.  Brady.. my God, what do you have to find... a note from him to the trainers telling them to deflate balls?  Next we get into some bad science about how balls can deflate in the matter of minutes on a cold field.   Or How a deflated ball doesn't help the QB or receivers..  And we ignore trainers who go by the nickname "the deflator" because we know in our hearts that their job is to make sure that Brady is happy?

I know... it's a lot to spew but just looking at differences in the media.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, AHF said:

On the subject of how much money Sharapova made, I think Kornikova is your perfect explanation.  Kornikova never did anything of real importance in professional tennis but she made a ton of money because of how she looks in a bikini.  Sharapova has made most of her money off the court using a similar approach.  Serena is by far the better player and I'm sure she has made more money on the court while not doing as much to cultivate her image off of it (and sadly looks are a huge part of the revenue for female tennis stars as well as some male athletes like David Beckham).  

I don't think that Serena is turning down off the court endorsements... nor do I think she looks bad in the bikini.  I think that there's a market for that.  I will just say that it's an example of definitions of beauty being skewd.   However, is there a reason that the most dominant female of alltime hasn't been made into a model for little girls to follow?  I mean, I recall how the media marketed Chris Evert Lloyd.  It's just interesting to note that Serena hasn't had a similar push... at all.

serena-williams-bikini-jadeafrican0.png

• Moderators

I'm not saying that Serena is ugly or anything.  She is just much more muscular than a model whereas Kournikova and Sharapova fit that model much more closely.  Basically, advertisers sell sex (not athletic ability) with the those two but think they can sell that with Serena.  I am sure Serena has more winnings on the court than those two combined.  I would guess that Kournikova has the most endorsement money of all three despite being by far the weakest player - definitely a ratio of endorsements to winnings that blows the others away.

Serena-Williams.jpg

maria-sharapova-blasts-serena-williams-c

anna.jpg

18 hours ago, Diesel said:

Uhm...

Nike deals.

Serena 5 years 40 Million.

Sharapova 8 years 70 Million.

Nike doesn't pick models, they pick athletes.  Supposedly.

they pick both. One for showing their brand is good for being competitive and winning, and the other one for being competitive and looking good in their stuff - in best case both in a Grand Slam Final vs each other. There are different target groups for both.

btw: there exists a story about Kournikova. It tells Anna told Hingis after a lost match something like "You may be the better player but I will make much more money than you", while handshaking

• Moderators
3 hours ago, rd79 said:

btw: there exists a story about Kournikova. It tells Anna told Hingis after a lost match something like "You may be the better player but I will make much more money than you", while handshaking

Truth.  Again, David Beckham hasn't been a world class player for years but you wouldn't know that by the advertising.  

Here is an article from a few years ago on Beckham's income topping Messi and Ronaldo.  This was with Messi coming off 4 awards for being the best player in the world and Beckham 13 years after he was runner-up (the one time he was seriously in contention).  Beckham had also been cut completely from the English national team at that point and hadn't started a game for the English side in over 4 years.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ligue-1-beckham-earn-messi-season-180629077.html

• Premium Member
On 3/10/2016 at 2:08 PM, AHF said:

Truth.  Again, David Beckham hasn't been a world class player for years but you wouldn't know that by the advertising.  

Here is an article from a few years ago on Beckham's income topping Messi and Ronaldo.  This was with Messi coming off 4 awards for being the best player in the world and Beckham 13 years after he was runner-up (the one time he was seriously in contention).  Beckham had also been cut completely from the English national team at that point and hadn't started a game for the English side in over 4 years.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ligue-1-beckham-earn-messi-season-180629077.html

OK.. To refocus on this.

Who did Beckham play for:  Real Madrid and Manchester United.

Who did Ronaldo play for?  Barcelona?

If you play for the most popular teams on the globe, then you might get good endorsements.  However, a career of longetivity means something.  Has there been any basketball player that has made more than Jordan makes in retirement (endorsements)?

It's not becuase Jordan is a model or that he looks better than Steph Curry or CP3 or Lebron.  But it's simply because ... He's freakin Jordan!  He dominated the game.

So when I look at how Serena dominates her sport... I shake my head that there's another player who gets more endorsement money than she?

Maybe we should tell women that as long as we can objectify your body, we will give you money... Like a stripper.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators
On 3/15/2016 at 2:50 PM, Diesel said:

Maybe we should tell women that as long as we can objectify your body, we will give you money... Like a stripper.

I think that message has been sent really, really clearly.  Have you seen magazine covers for even women's magazines?  Exploiting sex appeal with women is not remotely new.

In other Sharapova news, the hammer got dropped with a 2 year suspension so glad to see tennis taking the issue seriously.

4 hours ago, AHF said:

I think that message has been sent really, really clearly.  Have you seen magazine covers for even women's magazines?  Exploiting sex appeal with women is not remotely new.

In other Sharapova news, the hammer got dropped with a 2 year suspension so glad to see tennis taking the issue seriously.

I'm sorry I don't mean to sound like a d*ck here and this is my own personal opinion. Russian athletes cheat like hell. Does that mean other athletes don't? Hell no, I just think there are no boundaries for Russian athletes, whether it's in tennis or the Olympics or wherever, and it's not only them, I believe Chinese athletes in the olympics are all roided out too. Again, maybe everyone cheats, but im just glad they made an example of her today. Also, I really dislike her, then again I don't like the Williams sisters AT ALL either. 

My fav ladies tennis player was Gabriella Sabatini, after her I didn't really like any of them. Don't get me started with Seles and her grunting or Graf and her big nose. I digress...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm sorry I don't mean to sound like a d*ck here and this is my own personal opinion. Russian athletes cheat like hell. Does that mean other athletes don't? Hell no, I just think there are no boundaries for Russian athletes, whether it's in tennis or the Olympics or wherever, and it's not only them, I believe Chinese athletes in the olympics are all roided out too. Again, maybe everyone cheats, but im just glad they made an example of her today. Also, I really dislike her, then again I don't like the Williams sisters AT ALL either. 

My fav ladies tennis player was Gabriella Sabatini, after her I didn't really like any of them. Don't get me started with Seles and her grunting or Graf and her big nose. I digress...

That used to make me angry.  So annoying.

• 6 years later...