• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NCAA Tourney Talk from Main Board

Admin

14 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Was it as "arousing" to you as Middle Tennessee was?

#cusemode

A perennial cheating program was gifted a spot in the tournament.  This school finished 10th in the ACC.  Yes 10th place.  

8 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

I am curious what you mean by this?  I don't follow college ball.

I don't want to veer so far off topic.  Google Syracuse basketball cheating scandal and enjoy.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Korver sucked for a huge stretch earlier.  It's one bad game of like the last six.

What are his stats from returning from sabbatical/being part of the rotation.  Post-All-star break his percentages are 46% and 37%.  These are good and happened in games where he was playing close to 20 mins/per when before he saw 6-11 mpg.

THIS.  Tim is ready.  Bud trained and humbled him.  He's contributing just in time.

Throw out New York.  Losing franchise.  Players get better in winning cultures.  Bud has obviously fundamentally instill discipline in him.  Judge him as a Hawk--he was all rookie 1st team though, right?  The talent is there--development has not...til now.

VERY high on Timmy at the moment.

But have you checked his numbers on Thursdays and Fridays this season?  They are really awesome.  Just ignore the rest of his season and career and feast on that 2015-16 Thursday .486% FG% and .400% 3pt%!  If you throw out his Wednesday and Saturday games his season looks even better too.

Everyone knows that Thursday and Friday are the real days to judge someone by and that Wednesdays and Saturdays should be ignored.

8 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

I am curious what you mean by this?  I don't follow college ball.

For Syracuse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syracuse_University_athletics_scandal

What bugs me about it is that Syracuse 'voluntarily' took their post-season ban last season when the team was worse and when the players had no control over whether they would be with the team or not.  It isn't unique to them but they screwed the players in the interest of the program.  I don't think the NCAA has been doing them favors, though.

UNC has gotten typical ACC Rock Star treatment from the NCAA with their scandal despite long-term outright academic fraud.  It won't impact their ability to compete for a chip this season, though.  The NCAA would not do that to them. Just like it wouldn't punish Duke for an ineligible player on their 99 championship team due to taking cash from an AAU coach in exchange for promises of future cash when Maggette went pro - can't tarnish those sacred cows.  Catch a less halo'd school with an athlete who took cash or did something in high school that would compromise his eligibility and start the hammering!

• Like 1

The cash cow for the NCAA is the basketball tournament (even more so than football), @AHF .  They'll never punish perennial contenders like UNC and *ahem* UK.

Now get bak on topic!  

#modzplzbanyourself

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The cash cow for the NCAA is the basketball tournament (even more so than football), @AHF .  They'll never punish perennial contenders like UNC and *ahem* UK.

Now get bak on topic!  

#modzplzbanyourself

UK doesn't fall on the untouchable list.  You may be too young to remember the scandal that had UK banned from the NCAA tournament pre-Pitino.  UK deserved to get hammered for that.  I don't mind that.

I do mind this sort of rationale:

Calipari is a cheating scumbag because he had a player at UMass (Camby) who took cash without knowledge or culpability of the coach or school.  The player was ineligible so the school must be punished and the wins vacated.

Coach K is a saint because he had no knowledge or culpability in a player taking cash.  The player was ineligible but let's just sweep this one under the rug and leave those wins on the sainted one's record.

Just do it one way or the other.  Either the coach and school's involvement is irrelevant and playing an ineligible player gets you hammered or the school and coach should be untouched when they are not culpable.

The NCAA's investigators started off admitting that Duke should get treated like everyone else before the teflon police put the clamp on it.   "I expect [Duke] will lose 45 percent of the revenue earned at the 1999 NCAA tournament," NCAA public information coordinator Jane Janikowski said, "plus an automatic vacation of their performance in the tournament. In all the cases that have been similar to this one, that is what the precedent has been."  The difference?  This time it was Duke and Coach K.  Despite the fact that Maggette admitted it in court (i.e., better evidence than the NCAA usually has).

More recently, the NCAA swept $100K in jewelry that went to Lance Thomas under the rug.  Thomas somehow dropped $30K in cash on the table and then got a loan for $70k from jewelry company to "buy" the jewelry sued him. This is on public record in court.  Again.  This 'loan' is a blatant violation and the $30K in cash raises all sorts of black clouds.  But it was swept under the rug following the 2010 chip.

Either playing an ineligible player is a reason for vacating wins or it isn't.  The NCAA rule seems to be that it is a reason for vacating wins until it happens to a sacred cow.

#NCAAHypocrisy

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

UK doesn't fall on the untouchable list.  You may be too young to remember the scandal that had UK banned from the NCAA tournament pre-Pitino.  UK deserved to get hammered for that.  I don't mind that.

I do mind this sort of rationale:

Calipari is a cheating scumbag because he had a player at UMass (Camby) who took cash without knowledge or culpability of the coach or school.  The player was ineligible so the school must be punished and the wins vacated.

Coach K is a saint because he had no knowledge or culpability in a player taking cash.  The player was ineligible but let's just sweep this one under the rug and leave those wins on the sainted one's record.

Just do it one way or the other.  Either the coach and school's involvement is irrelevant and playing an ineligible player gets you hammered or the school and coach should be untouched when they are not culpable.

The NCAA's investigators started off admitting that Duke should get treated like everyone else before the teflon police put the clamp on it.   "I expect [Duke] will lose 45 percent of the revenue earned at the 1999 NCAA tournament," NCAA public information coordinator Jane Janikowski said, "plus an automatic vacation of their performance in the tournament. In all the cases that have been similar to this one, that is what the precedent has been."  The difference?  This time it was Duke and Coach K.  Despite the fact that Maggette admitted it in court (i.e., better evidence than the NCAA usually has).

More recently, the NCAA swept $100K in jewelry that went to Lance Thomas under the rug.  Thomas somehow dropped $30K in cash on the table and then got a loan for $70k from jewelry company to "buy" the jewelry sued him. This is on public record in court.  Again.  This 'loan' is a blatant violation and the $30K in cash raises all sorts of black clouds.  But it was swept under the rug following the 2010 chip.

Either playing an ineligible player is a reason for vacating wins or it isn't.  The NCAA rule seems to be that it is a reason for vacating wins until it happens to a sacred cow.

#NCAAHypocrisy

Yeah,  I remember UK getting slapped on the wrist a few times.  Look, I'm a GT fan.  We got our ACCC title vacated over $300 worth of clothes our guy got from his cousin that was returned unopened.  Literally!  I am well aware of the NCAA's hypocrisy.  Don't get me started.

Also don't get me started on the favorable treatment afforded to Duke/UNC basketball.  But also don't act as if UK is squeaky clean, sir.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah,  I remember UK getting slapped on the wrist a few times.  Look, I'm a GT fan.  We got our ACCC title vacated over $300 worth of clothes our guy got from his cousin that was returned unopened.  Literally!  I am well aware of the NCAA's hypocrisy.  Don't get me started.

Also don't get me started on the favorable treatment afforded to Duke/UNC basketball.  But also don't act as if UK is squeaky clean, sir.

I don't act like UK is squeaky clean.  Just not protected by the halo if you see the difference.  Kind of a situation where I'm not saying UK doesn't have s#$*, just saying that I don't buy it when the NCAA says that sacred cow s#$* don't stink.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't act like UK is squeaky clean.  Just not protected by the halo if you see the difference.  Kind of a situation where I'm not saying UK doesn't have s#$*, just saying that I don't buy it when the NCAA says that sacred cow s#$* don't stink.

I hear you.  UNC has admitted to YEARS of outright academic FRAUD and the punishment has been nil.  And we're supposed to celebrate them as a Final 4 participant?  Sad.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Look, I'm a GT fan.  We got our ACCC title vacated over $300 worth of clothes our guy got from his cousin that was returned unopened.  Literally!  I am well aware of the NCAA's hypocrisy.  Don't get me started.

Oh - and this was some major league BS.  Vacating a title over that is like pulling over someone driving 61 mph in a 60 zone while people are zooming by at 85 mph.

39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hear you.  UNC has admitted to YEARS of outright academic FRAUD and the punishment has been nil.  And we're supposed to celebrate them as a Final 4 participant?  Sad.

The absolute worst part about it is this is coming from UNC, the same place that slapped an extra year of ACC ban on Clemson in the 80s and fabricated that Jimmy V was making a mockery of academics at NC State by having such a low amount of graduating athletes (even though Athletes graduated at a higher rate than the general student population). For years and years and years UNC has attempted to play the "we art a holier than thou institution which prides itself on the laurels of our academics" bullshit. For the scandal to be academic in nature is poetic justice.

And from all reports, the "scandal" years keep referencing to begin when Dean Smith stepped down as if Saint Smiff was the one keeping the program sanctimonious. Yeah, right. Smiff is the same asshole that made up stories of how he recruited Lou Hudson to UNC twenty years later even though Lou specifically mentioned that only NC State recruited him (but he was turned off by their rebel pep band uniforms and that his scholarship would be paid for by a booster club and not an official scholly). Why did that happen? Well, because Dean could get away with telling the local media this happened and they'd believe him (w/o fact checking) so he could then use this as a recruiting pitch that "oh my that Dean is sooooooo nice he's always fighting for us against the racist ACC we should sign with him!"

43 minutes ago, hawksfanatic said:

And from all reports, the "scandal" years keep referencing to begin when Dean Smith stepped down as if Saint Smiff was the one keeping the program sanctimonious. Yeah, right. Smiff is the same asshole that made up stories of how he recruited Lou Hudson to UNC twenty years later even though Lou specifically mentioned that only NC State recruited him (but he was turned off by their rebel pep band uniforms and that his scholarship would be paid for by a booster club and not an official scholly). Why did that happen? Well, because Dean could get away with telling the local media this happened and they'd believe him (w/o fact checking) so he could then use this as a recruiting pitch that "oh my that Dean is sooooooo nice he's always fighting for us against the racist ACC we should sign with him!"

I recall doing some research on Dean Smiff, and yeah it's here:

There's a lot of shit about UNC that doesn't get talked about. It's hard to not come to the conclusion that they're basketball "royalty" much like Duke or Indiana or UCLA or Kansas  or Kentucky (ehh...to a degree). Those places aren't getting hit with sanctions, or at least if they are it's swept under the rug. Are we really to believe they don't cheat like the rest of the teams? Lolz.

OK that's enough of a tangent for Tim Hardaway Junes here. Safe to say, the pious programs in the NCAA piss me off.

5 hours ago, AHF said:

But let's pile on AJ Green for selling a jersey for a couple hundred bucks because that is so much more serious than a $30k cash drop and $70k loan, right?

Is he still a virgin? Oh I thought you said  AC Green..:-0

ps I remember playing a sega Genesis NBA live 93 or 94 game back in the day and they always had a halftime trivia question. One time it asked "what does AC stand for in AC Green"...so a friend and I took a few guesses then the answer was...

Nothing...

I'm guessing Genesis wanted to yell..

GOT HEEEEEEEEEM...:-/

1 hour ago, Duff_Man said:

That's because it wasn't NBA Live at first. They had Lakers Vs Celtics, Blazers Vs Bulls, NBA Showdown 94. NBA Live didn't start until 1995 (I think). 

I'm pretty sure there was NBA live 94... And I thought 93 but not as sure. I'm gonna have to go through my garage as I still have those games . Lol

On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 11:28 PM, Alex said:

A perennial cheating program was gifted a spot in the tournament.  This school finished 10th in the ACC.  Yes 10th place.

if you watched an sec college basketball game outside of Kentucky and Texas A&M, you'd understand why Syracuse got in. There was a reason for them getting in, there was about three close to the bubble teams in the SEC but all three of them played horrendous basketball. Like delete the footage bad basketball.

Little late but the above is the truth.