• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here is why the Hawks wont win the ECF

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

First of all I have to say the Hawks play good defense.

Secondly, the Hawks cant win the big series is because they live by the jump shot.    This series should be over but the jacking of threes by the entire team in crucial situations has contributed  the two losses in Boston.  

its quite simple you live by the jumpa you die by the jumpa.  When the Hawks are on, they are on fire, the problem becomes when they are not on and that is over 60% of the time.

A competitive five game series loss after a first round series win in which Teague and whoever is guarded by Love shows why Irving and Love are seen as defensive liabilities and I'm fine with this season.

There is changes that need to be made (like Korver to the bench and an actual SF sized SF needs to be acquired) but that can be discussed later.

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

First of all I have to say the Hawks play good defense.

Secondly, the Hawks cant win the big series is because they live by the jump shot.    This series should be over but the jacking of threes by the entire team in crucial situations has contributed  the two losses in Boston.  

its quite simple you live by the jumpa you die by the jumpa.  When the Hawks are on, they are on fire, the problem becomes when they are not on and that is over 60% of the time.

I'm not a  big fan of the swarm defense they use on LeBron. Unfortunately they don't have a single player who can guard LeBron one on one like Marion, Kawhi and Iggy have done in recent years but with Love and Kyrie healthy and Love fitting in better, they're going to get killed on the perimeter doubling LeBron or switching a smaller defender on him or Love.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

Hawks actually had a better chance this year over last year to win the Eastern Conference.   Cleveland isnt as good as last year. If Sap had help scoring, the Hawks could take them.

I respectfully beg to differ.  They're virtually the same three point shooting team as last year (-.005).  The Hawks are much worse (-.030). 

It appears LeBron doesn't even need a coach to out-strategize Bud.  He's much smarter than I but a dummy could've told him that collapsing the paint  upon and opening the floor up for the closest thing to Magic isn't very sharp.  Save that play for Kyrie with LeBron on the bench.

JR is having the best season I've seen out of him, he feasts off the attention that has to be given to their "Big Three," seemingly moreso versus the Hawks than anyone else.  Can't blame him when Kyle is staring in his face on defense.  

Jeff's shoddy defense doesn't hurt against anyone as much as it does Cleveland, so Baze has to be spread thin across multiple assignments after LeBron has his way and Thabo is deployed.  

The cherry on top is Thompson.  Besides eating the glass on us, this postseason he produces more screen assists than Al and Paul combined.  We have to get past Boston first, but I am not looking forward to the upcoming series like I was last year.

Edited by benhillboy

12 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I respectfully beg to differ.  They're virtually the same three point shooting team as last year (-.005).  The Hawks are much worse (-.030). 

It appears LeBron doesn't even need a coach to out-strategize Bud.  He's much smarter than I but a dummy could've told him that collapsing the paint  upon and opening the floor up for the closest thing to Magic isn't very sharp.  Save that play for Kyrie with LeBron on the bench.

JR is having the best season I've seen out of him, he feasts off the attention that has to be given to their "Big Three," seemingly moreso versus the Hawks than anyone else.  Can't blame him when Kyle is staring in his face on defense.  

Jeff's shoddy defense doesn't hurt against anyone as much as it does Cleveland, so Baze has to be spread thin across multiple assignments after LeBron has his way and Thabo is deployed.  

The cherry on top is Thompson.  Besides eating the glass on us, this postseason he produces more screen assists than Al and Paul combined.  We have to get past Boston first, but I am not looking forward to the upcoming series like I was last year.

I was TRYING to be positive man.........lol. You are correct about everything you said. Hawks dont stand a chance.............

Edited by Hawkmoor

I'm a defense junkie through and through, but the line of demarcation of the contenders we can stop consistently is OKC and Toronto.  SA, Cleveland, and GS simply have too much firepower and makes the saying "great offense beats great defense" ring true.  

The fact that we just lost a game with the biggest individual scoring performance in the Bud Era by far says a lot about the offensive threshold of this team.  Our 3 best players, while all capable of getting hot, simply don't have the True Scorer gene needed by every championship squad outside of Larry Brown's Pistons.  We don't even have a Ginobili or Old Drexler.

The bench defense could hide him, I'd give my left pinky for '09 Jamal Crawdog.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

The Hawks have never been able to keep LeBron under control and  I don't see it happening any time soon. 

Edited by NineOhTheRino

48 minutes ago, NineOhTheRino said:

The Hawks have never been able to keep LeBron under control and  I don't see it happening any time soon. 

So why try? The best plan for Lebron is to let  him do his thing. Let Baze guard him 1 on 1 and keep the others from getting off. Lebron is alot  more effective when he's getting everyone involved. As high as his basketball IQ is, his one weakness is he can be duped into shooting  jump shots. We can't allow  wide  open 3's like we've done in this series. 

• Like 3