• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Realistically what would have been a better draft?

gurpilo

For me would have been Malik Beasley at 12 and Prince at 21, also would have selected Demetrius Jackson or kept Feder.

However what if Prince is not available at 21? We would still be without size at SF and would have taken Dembry instead, I think Beasley or Valentine are going to be good but we cannot be mad at all at the draft, this was not a good and deep class.

There were also some good prospects at C on the second round, we could have tried to trade up to get one as Jones or Zimmerman

What would have been a better draft? I see everyone complaining but do not see much better chances at 12 and 21 assuming we could not trade up, at the end is Dembry instead of Beasley

34 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

For me would have been Malik Beasley at 12 and Prince at 21, also would have selected Demetrius Jackson or kept Feder.

However what if Prince is not available at 21? We would still be without size at SF and would have taken Dembry instead, I think Beasley or Valentine are going to be good but we cannot be mad at all at the draft, this was not a good and deep class.

There were also some good prospects at C on the second round, we could have tried to trade up to get one as Jones or Zimmerman

What would have been a better draft? I see everyone complaining but do not see much better chances at 12 and 21 assuming we could not trade up, at the end is Dembry instead of Beasley

I was thinking about this too and wanted Beasley at 12 and Prince at 21. But obviously there was something that the FO liked about Prince more than Beasley. Maybe it is his size or maybe Beasley injury scared them. Also, there really is no guarantee that Prince would have been there at #21. I am glad that we got wings though. I think the Hawks want a vet PG that they get through FA. It doesn't really make too much sense to draft a young PG and develop him when your starting PG is 22 years old. Overall, I am not too upset with this draft. We will see how it plays out.  

10 minutes ago, Dejay said:

I don't have a problem with them picking Prince but what is wrong with trading down into the teens to get him? An extra pick and/or player who can help wouldn't have hurt...

That's easy to say and harder to do. I am sure the Hawks looked to do that, but there is also rumors that the Celtics were looking at Prince at #16. So they realistically had only 3 teams to trade down with and it's very likely that those teams didn't want to trade.

I think the real issue is what we got for Teague, some thought Bud could get gold from that pick but this draft is what it is and realistically we could have gone with more potential at SG but right now SG is loaded with assests so we decided to fill gaps, I am fine with that

The Prince pick itself I am okay with.  It's the fact they traded an all star point to get him and used the 12th pick in order to get him.  There is a very good chance he would have been there st 21.  Bambi is a finesse player who has no idea how to shoot the basketball.  

The second round was a typical disaster.  I would have gone after a big with one of the picks instead of giving Clefeland another shot maker and getting some Euro trash who will never play.  

Valentine at 12 and Prince at 21 is a lot better than what they ended up with.  I also would have grabbed Deyonta Davis or looked at AJ Hammons in round 2.

I agree  with both of you guys Beasley & Prince would have been ideal, but I'm 100% convinced Prince would not have been there at at 21. Most of the players projected to go before Prince went after our pick, so there's  a good chance he would have been gone. 

I don't think this is a very  good SF free agency class after Durant and Batum, so I can see why they would prioritize that position. They seem to still like THJ too.

I maybe would have preferred Timothy Luwawu to Bembry since we already picked Prince but I like  both players.

Ultimately  I think they wanted baby Sabonis  and Prince, but OKC deficated on BudCox and took him. 

I wanted

#12 Denzel Valentine

#21 Tyler Ulis

I just think if you want guys that will come in and contribute and help you win, you get winners. We shall see.

Once my favorite late lottery big ( Sabonis ) was gone, us ending up with any two of them was going to be good for me on draft night. I like Prince, Beasley, and Bembry, no issues with any of them being on our team.

Our draft last night makes total sense to me.

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

I guarantee that if we would have taken Beasley at #12 people would be saying the exact same thing they are saying about Prince............that Beasley would have been available at #21 !  Well guess what, we now know Beasley was not there at #21. Its also very doubtful that Prince would have been there at #21.     3 & D guys with his length, versatility, and shooting range are at a premium in today's NBA and in our system.

I love Prince's game. Many of us were hoping for him in the draft months ago. He is so much like D. Carroll but better at this age. Coming out of college Carroll had no perimeter game at all. I have no doubt that he will be fan favorite. We got our guy !

Now to Bembry at #21. I was not crazy about that thought when all we owned was the pick #21. After adding Prince I love the pick. Bembry is the high flyer who can finish at a high rate. With Beasley off the board, and Prince now on the roster, I liked this pick at #21 too. I would have been happy with Richardson but Bembry is the more complete player right now with high BBIQ and natural PG instincts in the body of strong wing player.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I am salty that we lost Sabonis by one freaking pick ahead of ours although I feel if he was there they still would have passed on him.

I have no problem with Prince as a player. We absolutely need more wing help. I just hate taking him at 12. That being said I hope he becomes a HoF player and we can look back in five years and laugh at where the Hawks took him.

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

I am salty that we lost Sabonis by one freaking pick ahead of ours although I feel if he was there they still would have passed on him.

I have no problem with Prince as a player. We absolutely need more wing help. I just hate taking him at 12. That being said I hope he becomes a HoF player and we can look back in five years and laugh at where the Hawks took him.

adama.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Not according to the source Vivlamore has. One of the picks the Hawks were trying to trade up for was Sabonis.

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

How is he gonna be a hall of fame player in 5 years?...lol...my bad. No I feel ya. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not according to the source Vivlamore has. One of the picks the Hawks were trying to trade up for was Sabonis.

If that is the case I wish we would just trade for him still. He's bench depth for OKC. He could be very good.

1 hour ago, Dejay said:

I don't have a problem with them picking Prince but what is wrong with trading down into the teens to get him? An extra pick and/or player who can help wouldn't have hurt...

Reports said that they tried................... takes 2 to dance.