• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cheap free agents for a strong bench

gurpilo

If we are not able to land a Big FA one route we could  go would be to be deep and compete that way, this is a list of players that could be had cheap and represent a big upgrade.

Felton, Augustin, Brooks, Afflalo, Henderson, Courtney Lee, Gerald Green, Evan Turner, Jeff Green, Jared Dudley, Jordan Hill, Motiejunas, Mahinmi, Mozgov

My preferences would be to sign Augustin or Felton, Gerald Green, Jordan Hill and perhaps Mozgov. I think the first 3 can be had by less 4M $, Mozgov or Mahinmi not so sure. 

Also Afflalo or Evan Turner could be cheaper than Bazemore and not that much difference 

I could adopt this line of thinking because it's almost with 100 percent certainty the Hawks never make a splash in free agency...ever.

Felton, Jordan Hill, and Mozgov are players I would love to add.

1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

If we are not able to land a Big FA one route we could  go would be to be deep and compete that way, this is a list of players that could be had cheap and represent a big upgrade.

Felton, Augustin, Brooks, Afflalo, Henderson, Courtney Lee, Gerald Green, Evan Turner, Jeff Green, Jared Dudley, Jordan Hill, Motiejunas, Mahinmi, Mozgov

My preferences would be to sign Augustin or Felton, Gerald Green, Jordan Hill and perhaps Mozgov. I think the first 3 can be had by less 4M $, Mozgov or Mahinmi not so sure. 

Also Afflalo or Evan Turner could be cheaper than Bazemore and not that much difference 

Augustine,  Lee and Motiejunas (replaces Scott) would be great.

I would like to see Hump back and for Bud to actually play him.   Also, Sessions would be a good fit here.   He always seemed to play very well against us and lives at the free throw line.  Would be a nice change of pace guard for us...

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

He would be a fantastic pickup

He fits perfectly. 3D with experience tough nosed guy. Just wonder how much he is going to command.

And I'm actually coming around to the idea of Jeremy Lin at backup PG, if we can afford him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16545295/jeremy-lin-wants-exhaust-every-opportunity-free-agency

"I've played six years in the NBA; I've played on five different teams. I've played for two D-League teams -- so seven cities in six years. I'm tired of boxes, I'm tired of moving companies, and I want to find a home," Lin said.

Another factor in free agency for Lin? Finding the team that can help him reach his full potential, he says.

"I want to see how good I can become," Lin said in the World Economic Forum interview. "I'm 27, and an athlete's prime, or at least in the NBA, your prime is usually 27-30. That's when you kind of peak physically (and) mentally and that's where most players perform their best. So I'm going into my prime and I want to see how great I can be as a player, and that's my purpose in free agency -- so I'll just exhaust every opportunity to see which one will be the best for me."

Sounds like Lin is looking for what Hawks University can help give him.  It helps that his best offensive ability is scoring from the high 1/5 pick and roll that we use a lot, and he's apparently gotten much better defensively over the last few years while cutting down on the turnovers.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding him.

I like all the guys in @gurpilo's OP except Felton.  I just don't get NBA players who struggle with weight.  He'd abruptly end a FA meeting with Bud after being told about the mandatory diet.

I'd love Lin here.  He'd push the hell out of Dennis in practice with his size.  Bud could refine his agility and three point shooting and he'd be a classic fit.  He sounds like he's truly eager to win, which a majority of NBA players pop off about but don't really mean.  That's an invaluable intangible that the Hawks need more of.  Sucks for Kemba Walker, his production is gonna fall back to mediocre after they rivaled (and bested) our two-headed PG monster for a season.

Edited by benhillboy

I don't mind strengthening the bench. Here's what we're looking at right now, free agency notwithstanding...

Schröder/Patterson

THJ/Korver/Bembre

Bazemore/Sefolosha/Prince

Millsap/Scott/Humphries

Horford/Splitter/Muscala/Tavares

It's almost safe to say that end of the bench guys like Patterson and maybe Muscala are likely gone while Korver starts from the bench in favor of either Hardaway, Jr. or a better FA coming in (Bembre's shot isn't quite up to snuff yet). Scott might also get the hook, especially with legal issues to deal with. Humphries is a free agent (along with Horford and Bazemore) and could leave as well and who knows what condition and/or restrictions Splitter will be on if he gets back on the court. 

As far as bench players are concerned. you could do far worse than Augustin, Lin, or Sessions to back up Schröder. At the two position, I don't see much in the way of them making a move unless THJ isn't ready for primetime and/or Bembre's shot needs more work than anticipated. If so, I'd go with Afflalo or Lee. At the three, assuming that Bazemore gets a Godfather deal and leaves, there is a lot of work to be done here. Sefolosha isn't a starter (not offensively) and Prince may not be ready yet. With the well-known likelihood of Durant not coming here and not emptying the vault for Barnes, I'd look at paying Parsons or Crabbe to start while having Prince and Sefolosha come off the bench. I'd gladly bring Humphries back, especially considering what kind of trouble Scott may be in. And the Horford situation, well, we've all talked about that already, no need to rehash here...