• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tito Horford: "There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning"

GameTime

24 minutes ago, hawkrule152 said:

I would love nothing more than to play Boston in the first round next year and have Howard wreck Horf because of this. The city was nothing but great to Al and for that to be said is absurd.

No.  I want to play them in the Eastern Conference Finals.  Let the venom be at an all time high.

19 minutes ago, RWF said:

Florida Gators suck!

This I DEFINITELY agree with.

• Like 2

Atlanta is a transient city, so there's naturally going to be opposing team support. And there's so much to do here, if the team isn't winning or exciting fans aren't going to buy tickets. It is what it is, it's not the fans' fault. Phillips is electric during the playoffs, and will be for D12 now as well. By the way, whatshisface is a lil' bitch.....

• Like 2

:Horford: "Aye, I never mailed it in ... couldn't risk that paper cut before a contract year."

- Whoreford out.

(Supes gonna kick my arse.  Yall got my bak?)

• Premium Member

I don't know why but I am having a very hard time making posts, is this happening for anyone else? I hit reply or new thread and nothing happens.

To the topic at hand: screw Horford. He was sandbagging it for two years straight to make sure he didn't get hurt again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I can agree with this.

But look at this from the player's perspective.  They're playing their butts off on most night.  Yet, whenever we're playing a popular team, Philips Arena gets taken over by the opposing team's fans.  It's nothing to see 30% of the crowd cheering for their favorite non-Hawk team or superstar.   The star players around the league see and know this about Atlanta.  So when it's time to come here, they think . . . "well if they'll cheer for the opponent, they may not cheer for me",

That's part of the reason why they don't come here.

The Hawks need a Blake Griffin type of player.  Someone who can excite the crowd with dazzling play, while also winning game.  You just can't be good in Atlanta.  You have to be good, with some flash or swag to you.  

Dennis is the hope of the franchise, because he plays that way.   And if he turns into the leader of the team, fans in Atlanta will latch onto him.  Personality wise, he's the anti-Teague and to some extent, the anti-Horford.  Even Millsap to most Hawk fans, is "boring".

This is true I'm hoping Dennis can be that guy for us

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

To the topic at hand: screw Horford. He was sandbagging it for two years straight to make sure he didn't get hurt again.

And we all eggscused it because he was "our guy" ...  or so we thought.

Hate to be right but I called this (the mail-in) 2 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Misha Owens said:

This is true I'm hoping Dennis can be that guy for us

He'll be motivated for sure.  Howard shld be as well. Hope others follow suit.

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Atlanta is a transient city, so there's naturally going to be opposing team support. And there's so much to do here, if the team isn't winning or exciting fans aren't going to buy tickets. It is what it is, it's not the fans' fault. Phillips is electric during the playoffs, and will be for D12 now as well. By the way, whatshisface is a lil' bitch.....

It IS partially the fans fault though.  Can't keep blaming the transient nature of the city, the traffic, the "so much to do" ( which is greatly overblown ), and the ownership.  Fans create the atmosphere in the arena.

At the end of the day, you have to decide as a fan if you're going to ride or die with the Hawks or not, regardless of what ownership does or the makeup of the team.  As an out of towner, it used to piss me off to see all of those opposing fans in our arena.  The biggest thing is when the Hawks are down or are struggling, the crowd at Philips will not pick the team up . . . unless Ryan Cameron ( PA announcer ) tells them to.

You have to support this team UNCONDITIONALLY.  That's hard to do as a fan.

Here are the win totals during the Horford era

40   ( strike year . . . 50 win equivalent )

38  ( Horford missed 2/3 of the year )

That's  9 consecutive playoff appearances . . . five 2nd round appearances . . . 1 EC Finals appearance . . . 7 winning seasons

That's "playoff mediocrity" but not deserving of fans not showing up to games or being totally apathetic to the team.  Yes, we want them to be on that elite status.   But because they're not elite, means that fans shouldn't show up to games and support the team.

If they like NBA basketball, and the Hawks, go to the games.

• Like 1

Everyone remember this?

https://web.archive.org/web/20110211085330/http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/02/08/al-horford-an-all-star-at-center-but-hes-taking-a-beating/

Al Horford an All-Star at center but he’s taking a beating

Have you ever seen or heard a 7-foot-1, 270-pound man beg? Stand near Tito Horford the next time he picks up the telephone to call the Hawks’ front office.

“I’ve been begging [general manager] Rick Sund and the Hawks for the last three years – please get a center so my son can pay his normal position,” the elder Horford said Tuesday from his home in the Dominican Republic. “He can’t push guys out of the box like I could. If he moved to forward, he would have a longer career.”

We suspected Al Horford would be a great NBA player. We watched him play on two national championship teams at Florida. It follows that when the Hawks drafted him third overall in 2007, we were overcome with the rarest of Hawks draft-day sensations: comfort.

But what has been stunning is that Horford has turned into an impact player at the wrong position. He just made the NBA’s Eastern Conference All-Star team for the second straight season as a center.

Granted, this isn’t the 1970s or ’80s and the NBA isn’t well-populated with dominant centers. Horford, at 6-10, 245, hardly captains the Lollipop Guild. But he still is playing out of position and succeeding only because of his sheer will, determination and talent.

How good would he be as a power forward?

“He’d be a beast,” coach Larry Drew said.

Horford is a rarity, not just on the Hawks but among athletes on Atlanta sports teams: He is universally embraced. Nobody thinks he underachieves or is overpaid. He is a leader. He is honest. When others have made excuses for losses, Horford has stepped forward and suggested too many teammates were operating as individuals and not within the framework of a team.

He reiterated Tuesday: “The great teams separate themselves because it’s more about the team and winning than everybody getting theirs. It’s a lot better here now than it was before. I think guys are starting to get it, but I don’t know if we’re quite there yet.”

A coach’s dream. A fan’s dream.

It would be nice if the Hawks could keep this guy around for a while. And upright.

He is taking a beating, particularly at the defensive end. Drew is trying to minimize the issue by going with a “big” lineup about 40 percent of the time: Horford moves to power forward, Josh Smith to small forward, Jason Collins steps in at center and Marvin Williams goes to the bench.

Drew admitted, “I’ve even thought of making the change permanent.”

Horford has stepped up his offensive game, averaging 16.2 points (his first three seasons: 10.1, 11.5, 14.2). We learned again Tuesday night how important he is to this team. With Horford a surprise late scratch for the second straight game with a sore back, the Hawks were drilled by Philadelphia 117-83 at Philips Arena. The team was missing Horford’s pulse (as well as seemingly several organs).

Horford was injured  Friday in Los Angeles when he was knocked to the ground by Blake Griffin. Drew said, “I didn’t even think he would be able to get up to shoot the free throws.” He did.

How long can he hold up like this? Horford said, “I don’t see myself playing center the rest of my career.”

His father, Tito, was a center (in college at LSU and Miami and later for three years in the NBA). He’s familiar with the banging that goes on in the lane. Horford has learned it the hard way.

“My dad was built for this,” he said. “It takes a toll on your body when you’re going against guys that outweigh you by 50, 60 pounds every night and have three, four inches on you.

“I feel pretty good now. But I wonder how I’ll feel a couple of years from now.”

Then came this novel idea: “I like playing against guys my own size.”

Imagine how good he would be then.

By Jeff Schultz

_____________________________________________________-

Screw that b*tch!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RandomFan said:

Everyone remember this?

https://web.archive.org/web/20110211085330/http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2011/02/08/al-horford-an-all-star-at-center-but-hes-taking-a-beating/

Al Horford an All-Star at center but he’s taking a beating

Have you ever seen or heard a 7-foot-1, 270-pound man beg? Stand near Tito Horford the next time he picks up the telephone to call the Hawks’ front office.

“I’ve been begging [general manager] Rick Sund and the Hawks for the last three years – please get a center so my son can pay his normal position,” the elder Horford said Tuesday from his home in the Dominican Republic. “He can’t push guys out of the box like I could. If he moved to forward, he would have a longer career.”

We suspected Al Horford would be a great NBA player. We watched him play on two national championship teams at Florida. It follows that when the Hawks drafted him third overall in 2007, we were overcome with the rarest of Hawks draft-day sensations: comfort.

But what has been stunning is that Horford has turned into an impact player at the wrong position. He just made the NBA’s Eastern Conference All-Star team for the second straight season as a center.

Granted, this isn’t the 1970s or ’80s and the NBA isn’t well-populated with dominant centers. Horford, at 6-10, 245, hardly captains the Lollipop Guild. But he still is playing out of position and succeeding only because of his sheer will, determination and talent.

How good would he be as a power forward?

“He’d be a beast,” coach Larry Drew said.

Horford is a rarity, not just on the Hawks but among athletes on Atlanta sports teams: He is universally embraced. Nobody thinks he underachieves or is overpaid. He is a leader. He is honest. When others have made excuses for losses, Horford has stepped forward and suggested too many teammates were operating as individuals and not within the framework of a team.

He reiterated Tuesday: “The great teams separate themselves because it’s more about the team and winning than everybody getting theirs. It’s a lot better here now than it was before. I think guys are starting to get it, but I don’t know if we’re quite there yet.”

A coach’s dream. A fan’s dream.

It would be nice if the Hawks could keep this guy around for a while. And upright.

He is taking a beating, particularly at the defensive end. Drew is trying to minimize the issue by going with a “big” lineup about 40 percent of the time: Horford moves to power forward, Josh Smith to small forward, Jason Collins steps in at center and Marvin Williams goes to the bench.

Drew admitted, “I’ve even thought of making the change permanent.”

Horford has stepped up his offensive game, averaging 16.2 points (his first three seasons: 10.1, 11.5, 14.2). We learned again Tuesday night how important he is to this team. With Horford a surprise late scratch for the second straight game with a sore back, the Hawks were drilled by Philadelphia 117-83 at Philips Arena. The team was missing Horford’s pulse (as well as seemingly several organs).

Horford was injured  Friday in Los Angeles when he was knocked to the ground by Blake Griffin. Drew said, “I didn’t even think he would be able to get up to shoot the free throws.” He did.

How long can he hold up like this? Horford said, “I don’t see myself playing center the rest of my career.”

His father, Tito, was a center (in college at LSU and Miami and later for three years in the NBA). He’s familiar with the banging that goes on in the lane. Horford has learned it the hard way.

“My dad was built for this,” he said. “It takes a toll on your body when you’re going against guys that outweigh you by 50, 60 pounds every night and have three, four inches on you.

“I feel pretty good now. But I wonder how I’ll feel a couple of years from now.”

Then came this novel idea: “I like playing against guys my own size.”

Imagine how good he would be then.

By Jeff Schultz

_____________________________________________________-

Screw that b*tch!

Omg! Phhhhheeeeewwww weeee! Whether you agree with Bud's front office decisions or not; can we at least all agree that we should be extremely thankful for Bud as our head coach (if any of you weren't already thankful for that lol)? 

• Like 3