Zach Lowe was not a fan of the Hawks summer moves

615Hawk

56 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

Quite honestly, I don't think anyone knows exactly why the Hawks management refused to increase the offer to Horf.  It could be that the additional cap space was needed to facilitate the Sap trade so the Hawks would get what they wanted in return.  Until we really know, everything is just speculation, and properly critiquing the move is mute.

I will say that Horf was probably let in on what the Hawks were looking to get in return for Sap, and he probably didn't like it enough to leave money on the table.  Again, just speculation.

It didn't matter what we paid Al Horford.. His cap hold was $18M for this coming season. It didn't matter what we paid Al Horford, it was only going to impact our salary cap by $18M. We could have paid him the full 5-year MAX and it still would have only had an $18M impact on the salary. We had his full Bird rights.

Again... This is why none of the stuff that unfolded during the offseason makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dejay said:

Exactly. Had they brought Bazemore and Horford back, Lowe would've had an article named 'Hawks bring back the ole gang, will likely get the same ole result' within seconds after the ink dried. And everyone here knows that this board would've gone nuclear had they kept the status quo. 

A motivated and healthy Dwight Howard trumps anything Horford ever brought to the table, numbers wise. As they say, scared $$$ don't make any; you have to roll the dice eventually. We've seen teams like the Kings and T-Wolves tank for high draft picks, only to go over a DECADE between playoff appearances. Now granted, I love the talent on Minnesota's roster and Boogie is quite the talent but who's to say that the Hawks would get such players with their high picks? 

Yeah, can't say Al would be motivated as Dwight this upcoming season. What could he say? "I've been working on my shots and I'll probably play in a paint a little bit more"?

54 minutes ago, High5 said:

That's not what the article is about. Change is good, but the Hawks clearly had a plan of re-signing Horford and trading Millsap. That plan failed and that's what Lowe is talking about. It's a legitimate concern when you consider the slight to Millsap, the missed opportunity on assets, and the contract he's due next season. 

Hopefully, they revisit talks. I see they said Faried was one of the targets. Maybe they can find a stretch 4 that can play D and get more assets. 

2 hours ago, Pacman21 said:

It's funny cause you know that the Hawks would've got killed for staying the same but now people are killing them for changing.

2 hours ago, Dejay said:

Exactly. Had they brought Bazemore and Horford back, Lowe would've had an article named 'Hawks bring back the ole gang, will likely get the same ole result' within seconds after the ink dried. And everyone here knows that this board would've gone nuclear had they kept the status quo. 

A motivated and healthy Dwight Howard trumps anything Horford ever brought to the table, numbers wise. As they say, scared $$$ don't make any; you have to roll the dice eventually. We've seen teams like the Kings and T-Wolves tank for high draft picks, only to go over a DECADE between playoff appearances. Now granted, I love the talent on Minnesota's roster and Boogie is quite the talent but who's to say that the Hawks would get such players with their high picks? 

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Can you imagine how we'd be getting torn to shreds for paying Alice a 'Conley' deal or anything close to that?  It would've been awe-inspiring.

indeed%2Btealc.gif

2 hours ago, txsting said:

We blew it by not resigning Al, period. We might be able to rectify the situation in next year's free agency, but we missed a chance for a swift rebuild through the Millsap trade. Now we will either lose him for nothing or pay super max to keep, two awful options.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The only reason for trading Millsap was to resign Al - how is that a swift rebuild? I'm confused.

Getting players back in return for a good player is overrated as hell.  You simply need a GM who has somewhat of an eye for talent, to replace that player.

I'm not a Ferry fan, but he does get credit for immediately snatching up Millsap.  That move alone made a guy like Josh Smith expendible.  Imagine Sap playing with the JJ era teams instead of Josh.

Teague had to be moved to see just how good Dennis could be.  I have no problem with that move.  And we did get a lottery pick out of that.

But if we were to let Sap walk next season, we'd have the option to blow it up or add another piece ( Westbrook, Griffin, Ibaka, Monroe, Tony Allen )?

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Getting players back in return for a good player is overrated as hell.  You simply need a GM who has somewhat of an eye for talent, to replace that player.

I'm not a Ferry fan, but he does get credit for immediately snatching up Millsap.  That move alone made a guy like Josh Smith expendible.  Imagine Sap playing with the JJ era teams instead of Josh.

Teague had to be moved to see just how good Dennis could be.  I have no problem with that move.  And we did get a lottery pick out of that.

But if we were to let Sap walk next season, we'd have the option to blow it up or add another piece ( Westbrook, Griffin, Ibaka, Monroe, Tony Allen )?

What the?  How's the song go?

One Three of these things are not like the other ...

BOTTOM LINE IS, AND IT'S A PROVEN FACT BY WHAT HAPPENED:

Atlanta's center did not wish to be here, therefore, he left. 

If he had really, really wanted to be here, he would have stayed.  If our front office had really, really

wanted him here, they would have done something way, way earlier than they did.

Personally, if he doesn't want to be here, then I don't want him here.  My words to him comes from

a song from long ago by Little Jimmy Dickens:

"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose!"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrhonline said:

Oddly enough, I woke up this morning wondering if the Over-36 rule would affect Millsap.  Since it does, I think it's definitely time to trade him.  He'll be wooed by teams better than the Hawks. 

@mrhonlineCan you  explain further? How does it affect him and the Hawks?  Millsap will be 32 when he's next a free agent, if I understand what I read (which I most likely didn't)  Millsap cannot receive a full 5 year max contract since it'll be 2 years past his 36th birthday.  So at a max he can get a 3 year deal?

Basic description: 

What is the Over-36 rule?

At its most basic, the Over-36 rule takes out the incentive for teams to offer four or five year contracts to players of a certain age.

The only reason for trading Millsap was to resign Al - how is that a swift rebuild? I'm confused.

It sounds like we had a deal lined up for players and picks including Faried. So take your pick:

Horf

D12

Faried

Future pick (s)

Or:

Millsap (one year)

D12

Extra 2017 cap space

We have swapped one center for a different center. But moving Sap changes a lot of parts and results in more assets and players, so it would be a mini rebuild to me.

50 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you're going to pay Bazemore 16 million a year  it makes Sap justified in getting all that cash. However, I suspect that we'll see a decline in Sap's game either next year or the year after that.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think by swift he means 8 years of drafting Robert Swift type guys...:-|

20 minutes ago, txsting said:

It sounds like we had a deal lined up for players and picks including Faried. So take your pick:

Horf

D12

Faried

Future pick (s)

Or:

Millsap (one year)

D12

Extra 2017 cap space

We have swapped one center for a different center. But moving Sap changes a lot of parts and results in more assets and players, so it would be a mini rebuild to me.

You said SWIFT rebuild - nothing rebuilding about signing Al for 5, and D12 for  3 and Baze for 4 - trading  Millsap gave us FUTURE assets.

Hate to say I agree with Klein.  Bud is the man (on the sidelines, not the office)  so I'm holding out hope.  "Thats why they play the games" so they say.  I just can't get excited about Dwight.  The move reeks of owner meddling.  No way in hell Bud prioritizes a poor C fit over a total void at BU PG and the Black Hole at wing.  None.

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

The move reeks of owner meddling.

If it was, it was just with Howard. It seems like Ressler said "I don't think Horford is the main piece to a title contender, its time for him to go" and Budcox got their way with Kent Bazemore in return. Budcox likely wanted to do what @Hawkmoor said they would have wanted to do, which is keep everyone and just swap out Teague.

• Premium Member

I like Lowe a great deal and he made good points. The problem is that the Hawks had no way of knowing Horford would take less money from Boston to give the Hawks brass the middle finger. If Horford stayed and the Hawks flipped Millsap for pieces and picks we would be happy. It is not Bud's fault that Horford behaved like a child and ran to take less money AFTER we already signed Howard and put out Millsap trade feelers.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm I in the twilight zone? At what point did the league started looking at Horford as a superstar? Sounds like to me they're hoping that the Hawks will fail.     

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Horford behaved like a child and ran to take less money AFTER we already signed Howard and put out Millsap trade feelers.

Yep, the whole situation is about Horford getting his feewings hurt that he wasn't shown a max contract offer on the night that free agency started.

• Like 1