• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk need to repair trust with Millsap

QuantumHawkz

• Premium Member

This is a big problem the Hawks have currently. To my understanding the Hawks chose Babycakes over Millsap thinking that he would sign.  In terms of money the Hawks was thinking we'll have Horford longer and cheaper than the contract Millsap is going to get next year. Even if they were correct they forgot one thing that players also look at.... LOYALTY. When Millsap resigned with the Hawks (for less money than the Magic were offering might I add) he took to IG and said Loyalty . Millsap loves Atlanta and the Hawks. He was a known player in Utah buy became an All-star and borderline superstar with the Hawks. What I don't understand is why would you pick Babycakes over Horford? Millsap proved that he was the best player on the Hawks on both sides of the floor. The Hawks made a big mistake by trying to trade Sap. Not only that, the Raptor's was the team we were going to trade him to. The only reason it didn't fall through cause Babycakes made his decision to move on. Ross and Patterson was the one's to come to Atlanta. There was also  a close call with the Nuggets for players ,picks and Kenneth Faried. Millsap is the heart of this team, I just hope they can repair what has been damaged.

• Like 1

He's expiring and wanting a huge contract from someone.

If he pulls back on his play or causes a disruption (won't happen) just because his 'trust' with the team is broken, wouldn't he hurt that next contract chances of being a max?

Either way, Hawks have him for 1 more year. If we sign a 32 year old to a 5 year max contract, that would be the ultimate problem.

1 hour ago, Pacman21 said:

Millsap is a grown ass man that knows how the business works he'll be alright.

Besides it's not like he didn't threaten to go to Orlando to get the deal he wanted from the Hawks last offseason.

I'm hoping he doesn't threaten to go to BOS next season. They can afford him...

2 minutes ago, RWF said:

If he pulls back on his play or causes a disruption (won't happen) just because his 'trust' with the team is broken, wouldn't he hurt that next contract chances of being a max?

Either way, Hawks have him for 1 more year. If we sign a 32 year old to a 5 year max contract, that would be the ultimate problem.

Since he'll be over 36 in a 5 year deal, he can only get offered a 4 year deal by ANY team including the Hawks, according to the CBA.

Somebody will pay him. More teams will have cap space and he'll be a top 5 FA next summer, 2nd best PF available behind Blake.

Hawks need to figure out now if they are going to give a 4 year max. If not, trade him now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RWF said:

Ya I doubt Sap pulls back his play or is a disruption. The guy is a throwback 80's type player, it's one of the things I love about him. Consummate pro.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Pacman21 said:

Millsap is a grown ass man that knows how the business works he'll be alright.

Besides it's not like he didn't threaten to go to Orlando to get the deal he wanted from the Hawks last offseason.

True, but what kind of message are you sending to the rest of the league?....if you play good the Hawks will rather trade you instead of paying you? Like I've said they only wanted Babycakes over Millsap because  he would be cheaper . That's the main problem here. So if  D12 balls out are the Hawks going to trade him at 33? 

• Premium Member

The Atlanta Hawks' preferred plan in the offseason was to sign Dwight Howard, re-sign Al Horford and trade away Paul Millsap.

The Hawks would retain a quality frontcourt in signing Howard and Horford while collecting assets by trading away Millsap.

Atlanta preferred Horford on his contract as it will be approximately $9 million per year less than what Millsap figures to make next offseason. Horford's starting salary with Boston will be about $26.5 million, while Millsap could start at around $35 million since he is a player with 10 or more years of experience.

Atlanta discussed Millsap trades with Phoenix, Denver, Toronto and Houston.

• Moderators

I wanted to see them trade Splitter, Scott and a pick and keep Howard, Al, and Sap.  I was surprised to see them shopping Sap openly enough that the press was reporting it.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I wanted to see them trade Splitter, Scott and a pick and keep Howard, Al, and Sap.  I was surprised to see them shopping Sap openly enough that the press was reporting it.

Probably wasn't the Hawks who leaked that.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ATLSmith said:

Probably wasn't the Hawks who leaked that.

I am certain it wasn't.  Just surprised they would do enough that the rumor could get started and then not squash it.  I assume they didn't squash it with a pro-Millsap statement because it was true or close enough to true that correcting the details would only make things worse.  ("No, no - we weren't discussing a deal with Toronto or Houston, we were only shopping him to Phoenix and Denver.")  

My first reaction was that we would unload non-impact players instead of a guy like Sap and go for it this year.  

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

Me too. The whole shopping Millsap didn't make sense to me. Also, the Hawks could have negotiated (and still might) a SnT for Howard, which would have been enough space to keep all three I believe.

9 hours ago, RWF said:

Yeah, except Millsap is still PROGRESSING.  

Love the Babycakes reference lolol

• Like 1