• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to parenthood

Alex

Big-time congrats, sir.  I know exactly how you feel.  There's really no words to describe it.

well_done_sir.gif

Cheers!

Great name too, btw.  Also, don't be that dad driving all slow on the way home from the hospital.  Baby wants to get home, bro.

Lastly, say good bye to real sleep for the better part of the rest of your life.

My granddaughter is named Madeline (last syllable pronounced as"Lynn" versus"line" ).   Sweet name.  She likes to go by "Maddy."

I have two sons.  Always wanted a daughter since I had four brothers and no sister, but sons were MUCH easier to raise, I suspect!  :)

Congrats and prepare for the greatest joys of your life for the next many years.  

P.S.  I once asked my father, when my sons were about 8 and 6 years old, when "parenting" somewhat is over.  He said:

"At around age 30 they will stop borrowing money from you.  Then about three or four years later they ask you to help with the grandchildren all the time.  So in effect, you will ALWAYS be a parent.  And you'll love it!"

Congrats @Alex.

Prepare for the time of your life. I can attest to the driving slowly going home. My husband drove like it was the first time he ever drove. I was sitting in back and was getting car sick. I had to encourage him that we we were OK and to step on the gas and get.us home. Lol.

• Moderators

That's awesome!   Congratulations!!

You will get thousands of pieces of advice on what to do with a baby and I promise it's almost all wrong for your baby.   

In about 24 hours no one will know your baby, your family,  as well as you and your wife do.   Just because it was good for someone else doesn't mean it's good for your family.   You know what's best for that kid.    I took way too long to learn this.   

Anyway,  have fun!  Babies are awesome and it gets easier every single day......until puberty.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Great, thanks guys now I want a kid. Of course, you have to have a date first-George Costanza

CONGRATS! @Alex

Gender reassignment surgery in 5 .... 4..... 3 ...

26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's awesome!   Congratulations!!

You will get thousands of pieces of advice on what to do with a baby and I promise it's almost all wrong for your baby.   

In about 24 hours no one will know your baby, your family,  as well as you and your wife do.   Just because it was good for someone else doesn't mean it's good for your family.   You know what's best for that kid.    I took way too long to learn this.   

Anyway,  have fun!  Babies are awesome and it gets easier every single day......until puberty.

Best. Advice. Ever.

11 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Congrats on the baby but damn is something in the Hawksquawk water? Other than roofies in Mrs@kg01's water of course. Seriously though congrats@Alex and I hope your daughter has as sunny of a disposition as you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

{Really, really inappropriate joke redacted.  Consider yourself lucky I growed a conscious over the offseason. :king:}

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 8:32 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Hi @Alex how's the little one?

Some days are better than others.  It's amazing when she's content and not crying.  There are times where she is wide awake and playing on her mat that makes sounds and music and has things she can crab hold of.   Those are the best moments.  Then there are the opposite times which seem to frequent us more often.  A majority of the time she will refuse to nap.  Yesterday was terrible.  She would not sleep at all during the day and then that turned into evening time.  Once she sleeps she will be out for a good 5-6 hours.  Issue is she won't sleep in her bed.  She has to be lying on my wife which is the only thing that works now.  We know it's not ideal, but at this point it's all we can do.  Once my wife goes back to work I don't know what's going to happen.  This is the most amazing and frustrating time of our life though.  My wife is a trooper and I can see it's taking a toll on her.  I am sure all this is normal, but I get frustrated so easily (it's a work in progress) that I think it only makes things worse.  

Aye man, nothing that's worth it is easy.  My daughter was the best baby anyone could ask for but her brother was just as you describe your daughter.  Just plain wouldn't do anything you want at a time you wanted him to.  Sleep being chief among those things.  It's the most frustrating thing imaginable if you let it (especially when his crying would wake his sister who was still a 'baby' at the time but I digress).

Only thing that helped me was understanding that it was not going to last.  IOW, even the worst grow out of it almost as suddenly as they grew into it.  Well at least that's what I read/researched and saw in my own experience.

It's perfectly acceptable to let them cry (I mean, don't go crazy with it.  Just a minute or two to gather yourself so you don't get too frustrated.)

I'm not giving advice (I don't know your kid), just sharing my experience as I certainly understand it's very frustrating.  When I went through it I thought it was me.  Once I understood that, as you said, it's actually normal/common, it helped somehow.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Aye man, nothing that's worth it is easy.  My daughter was the best baby anyone could ask for but her brother was just as you describe your daughter.  Just plain wouldn't do anything you want at a time you wanted him to.  Sleep being chief among those things.  It's the most frustrating thing imaginable if you let it (especially when his crying would wake his sister who was still a 'baby' at the time but I digress).

Only thing that helped me was understanding that it was not going to last.  IOW, even the worst grow out of it almost as suddenly as they grew into it.  Well at least that's what I read/researched and saw in my own experience.

It's perfectly acceptable to let them cry (I mean, don't go crazy with it.  Just a minute or two to gather yourself so you don't get too frustrated.)

I'm not giving advice (I don't know your kid), just sharing my experience as I certainly understand it's very frustrating.  When I went through it I thought it was me.  Once I understood that, as you said, it's actually normal/common, it helped somehow.

I bet you had the same philosophy about urself back in high school you wuss....lol