• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to parenthood

Alex

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nah, your gf kept a smile on my face ... ohhhhh

By taking you shopping? :-) Don't worry @kg01...anytime there's a sale at the mall, you and my gf's are welcome to bum rush it. I trust you with my gf's, X and current wives, etc. lol

• 1 month later...

Congrats!!...it's really not that hard...

Feed them an keep them right-side up :biggrin:

Of course there are a few minor things to think about...when do you switch to cereal (a big issue as it is often disputed between grandmas and is applicable to sleeping time).   Which diapers are best?  Pillows or just blankets?  Burp or natural?  Temperature.  Bathing intervals....Lordy...I could write a book on this....

...but basically just feed them and keep em right-side up as best you can  :biggrin:

note:  I was probably not the most "touchy-feely" father of all time...but my kids are fine and we go fishing together.

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 2

Having children, grand children and 2 great grandchildren, the best thing I can tell new parents.

Remember, these babies are just tiny human beings.  They are 100% depedent on others.  Just

think, they have no way of telling anyone anything except to cry.  I'm wet.  I'm hungry.  I'm too hot.

I'm too cold.  I'm lonesome.  I'm scared.  Where is everyone?  If we, as adults, had these problems

and couldn't tell any one, we would cry too!

On 8/10/2016 at 1:23 PM, Alex said:

Madeline Lorna was born this morning at 1230.  Mother and baby are doing well!  Hands down I am more terrified of this than anything else in my life.  Been deployed multiple times and had the responsibility of getting soldiers back home as well and those do not compare

so many emotions right now.  Blessed and amazed top the list though!

Congrats Alex!!! :-)

• Moderators

Missed your last update, @Alex.  Hopefully things are already improving but I will tell you they eventually will get better no matter how rough the sleep thing is during the first year.  Our oldest slept no more than two hours at a time for the first 11 months of his life.  He had acid reflux that the doctor couldn't diagnose so he would eat some, lay down, sleep and then the reflux would bother him and he would wake up crying.  Feeding him pushed everything back down into the stomache and the cycle would start again.  My wife was dying never getting more than 90 minutes sleep in a row for almost a year.  As he got a little older and we got the reflux addressed it was a material improvement but he continued to be a pain in the rear with sleep, refusing to nap and didn't sleep past 5 am most days until he was nearly a teen.  (As a teen he now sleeps in until 6 am.)  All that said, it was well worth it and the next two kids slept much better which seemed like paradise after our first.

One thing I'd recommend is getting in a pattern of reading to her before bed.  My kids have always loved it, it helped get them into a routine leading to bed, and it had the side effect of getting them reading on their own before bed.  Definitely a worthwhile part of the bedtime routine for us.  

Hope you are doing well!

• Like 2

Things seem to be getting better.  Wife went back to work a couple weeks ago so we started daycare.  It's attached to our church so it's really convenient for us and it's a five minute drive.  The price seems good considering what else we saw out there, but wow infant daycare is an expensive deal.  

She is still sleeping with my wife on the couch, but she pretty much sleeps throughout the night.   We try to go to sleep around the same time each night and dropping her off at daycare in the morning around the same time as well.  She will sleep in her crib very seldom and usually only for small amounts of time.  I think daycare will really help her get used to a routine.  She is smiling like crazy right now and has discovered her hands and feet.  I get frustrated very easily still, but whenever she gives me a big smile it melts my heart.  

It has been a rough ride thus far, but plenty of happy moments too!  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just checking in, folks.

My little baby girl will be 6 months this week.  Holy crap time does fly when you are a parent!  I can remember her being born like it was yesterday.  It's truly amazing to see her grow up in front of my very eyes.  Just completely changes it seems like on a daily basis.  She's discovering her personality too.  I have a feeling she's going to be a little stinker as she gets older.  She smiles like crazy now.  Even more than before.  :)

She has rolled over from her belly to her back a few times and has rolled over from her back to her tummy a couple times.  I know the back to tummy is the more difficult of the two.  She's very active when she's on her play mat too.  Reaching and grabbing for her toys.  She even sits up like a big girl and can do for a good period of time.  She is very happy most of the time too.  She really is a joy.  She has been sick for awhile now though.  Battling a cough/cold for weeks on end.  The last week was awful though.  She had some kind of stomach bug or flu and I think she's finally beginning to get better.  She was projectile vomiting last Saturday like an insane amount.  Never seen anything like it before.  I was concerned so I brought her to urgent care.  Doctor couldn't find anything so he did prescribe some anti-nausea medicine that worked a little bit.  Had a couple good days, but then rough ones followed that.  She went back to our doctor on Wednesday for same symptoms, but again nothing was discovered by the doctor.  Friday was hands down the worst day as a parent though.  My wife had said she threw up fierce earlier in the evening and when I got home she puked and spit up a lot in a couple minute span.  We gave her the medicine and she spit that right up.  She then dry heaved because there was nothing left in that tiny stomach.  After the ER trip Friday night they gave her the same medicine only this was a tablet that dissolves in the mouth and has worked wonders.  We got the prescription yesterday, but haven't had to use it.  She's kept her food down all yesterday and so far today as well.  She is much more perky today than she has been in probably 10 days.  Giggles, laughs, and her amazing smile.  Played a good bit earlier today and she was overall happy again.  Oh yeah I forgot to mention she also picked up pink eye the day before she went to the doctor the first time.  It's been a grueling period and I hated it.  Just felt so helpless and she was miserable and I couldn't help her.  That was the worst feeling in the world.  

But like I said she is trending in the right direction and that's all that matters now.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Alex the first you see projectile vomit from something so tiny it's scary. 

Glad she's doing better. She sounds like she's a lot of fun.

Happy parenting.

Yeah, when mine did it the puke was like really bright colored (like volt-ish) so we straight panicked.  Doctor told us that was normal.  Who knew?

Thanks for the update @Alex.  Hope the little one keeps feeling better.  Pink-eye is a mutha, especially after they realize what the eyedropper is for.  Good luck with that.

kg04 will be 8 months in a few days.  Has 2 teeth already.  WTF dude.  Enjoys green beans,  pineapples and long walks in the park.  Does not enjoy Moonshiners.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2017 at 1:34 PM, Diesel said:

Little late, 

But congratulations. Enjoy every moment... they grow up so fast. 

Dang, late bus.  Kid probably learning how to drive at this point.

Still no crawling, but she's getting around by rolling around.  For the most part she sits up on her own while she's playing.  Every so often she will take a face plant onto the carpet.  It happens in slow motion it seems like.  Majority of the time she's where I left her if I have to leave the room.  Although there have been times where she's rolled a few feet away...sideways on her back or some random position.  The nest milestone is teeth.  She has one tooth that has broken through her gum and I think she might be working on a second tooth.  Been little more fussy and clingy than normal, but the liquid tylenol seems to help with that.  Started baby food a few weeks ago.  Loves all the fruits, most of the veggies, and we tried a chicken one the other night.  Has not refused anything which is wonderful.  Some she likes better though.  Not talking actual words, but a lot of baby talk.  Words that sound close to "dada" or "daad," but nothing consistent.  I know whenever she does finally say that to me I will breakdown for sure though.