• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JOSH SMITH FREE AGENCY "WATCH"

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

We're well into August, so I figured it's time to peek at the Cold Stove that is Josh Smith's free agency news.

joshhighbar_1104987_640x360.jpg

I turned to my trusted source... Google... and when I did a News search for "Josh Smith", 9 of the ten aggregated articles on the first page referred to either...

* Josh Smith, the junior wide receiver (above) at Tennessee. He gets his corn from a jar. Or...

* Josh Smith, a New Orleans-area high school defensive end who just committed to Missouri. S-E-C! Or...

* Josh Smith, a former Baton Rouge-area high school infielder who is playing summer ball in advance of his freshman season at LSU. S-E-C! S-E-C!

Even the grand content aggregator HoopsHype, last posted a "rumor" about a "Josh Smith" 3 months ago. Three. And even that "Josh Smith" was a guard from Wyoming (Moun-tain-West! Moun-tain-West!) who was granted a predraft workout with the Utah Jazz. That guard was actually "Josh Adams", who wound up playing Summer League with the Nuggets. So this latest Hoopshype "rumor" about a "Josh Smith", from back in early May, evolved from a typo produced and later corrected by fellow site HoopsRumors.

Now, nobody here needs to type up an epitaph on Smoove's NBA career. Yes, he's (barely) on the wrong side of 30, hasn't evolved terribly much, and there's only a few bench seats left since the NBA Free Agency Musical Chairs game reached its zenith. And there's likely no NBA contract left that comes close to matching the stretched-out payments of $5.4 million he gets from the Pistons over the next FOUR years. But it's still a tad premature to send him off to Big Baby's Basketball Retirement Home. 

One would think, by now, some prominent sportswriter or insider could at least tweet something, anything, about him getting looks/calls/offers from even non-NBA teams. Why are we hearing about the likes of Shane Larkin heading to Spain and Andrew Goudelock heading to Israel, and butkus about Smoove? Somebody even bothered to check in on almost-34-year-old Emeka Okafor, and now his attempt at a comeback has spawned multiple articles: "Would Team X (Spurs/Warriors/Knicks) be Interested?" Can somebody who's paid to waste a few keystrokes take a brief moment to check in on Team Smoove?

There was one news item highlighting (recent NBA Player) Josh Smith last month... playing cornhole with Rajon Rondo, Richard Jefferson, Channing Frye and NBA-employed friends at Lindsey Vonn's rooftop pool party. 'Sup, T.O. ...

cornhole_josh-smith_terrell-owens.jpg

~lw3

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Imagine that - Mike B - Easy took his spot, smh.

It's funny a lot of players resemble each other game wise...Beasley and Smoove is a good match...Tyreke Evans and Rudy Gay...

34 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

It's funny a lot of players resemble each other game wise...Beasley and Smoove is a good match...Tyreke Evans and Rudy Gay...

I don't see the Beasley/Smooth comparison - Beasely is a pure offensive player, can score in a miriad of ways but played no defense.

Josh, we know what Josh is.

I Wil not make anymore anti-Rudy Gay remarks.:biggrin:

6 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Others...

Karl Malone and Al Horford.

@spud2nique and tha guy Shelley from Detroit.

@kg01's sister and Alf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I post a pic of myself on squawk and put this fatty biz to rest? Lol..cuz I'm lookin good right about now and I don't mind showing it off.

image.gif

Smoove could very well be done unless he gets a shot at playing on a team heading for a trophy. I have never seen him as the type of player who comes off the bench much. His ego has been his biggest problem since he came into the league; its why he kept shooting threes. Its also why I think coming off the bench is a problem for him. I don't see him ever playing for losing team as a backup.

The man has flat out made some money, is not known as a partier, and by the looks of that picture and who he is chumming around with, I think he still has plenty left in the bank. If he is happy, that is all that matters!

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

1470969246584.jpg

Today's "Josh Smith" News You Can't Use...

Down in New Zealand, Team Tanaraki is prepping for the playoffs, but is having to do so this weekend without soccer star "Josh Smith."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/sport/83110499/Team-Taranaki-looking-to-strengthen-play-ahead-of-playoffs

Jeff+Newberry+Oklahoma+State+v+West+Virg

Meanwhile, the (recent NBA'er) "Josh Smith" has been around town, helping train a former local high school talent the nuances of playing... point guard???

http://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2016/8/12/12392018/an-exclusive-interview-with-jeff-newberry-oklahoma-state-cowboys-mens-basketball-nba-detroit-pistons

(Jeff Newberry, former Oklahoma State and Westlake HS guard): Yeah, that is where most of the scouts are wanting me to play and that’s what I’ve been working on all summer… two-a-days and three-a-days with my trainers who are great guys up here in Atlanta and I played a lot of point guard in China and you know I think I surprised a lot of the scouts. I don’t think a lot of guys knew I could be a true point guard. Just that transition and learning from pros every day and getting to play pick up with Lou Will (Lou Williams) who’s in my agency and Josh Smith and all those other guys they teach me a lot also with that position so. You know the transition has been a tough one but it’s not one that I haven’t played before you know. I just took a year off or so. So I’m trying to get back acclimated with how everything is going.

~lw3

• Like 1

On 8/11/2016 at 0:35 PM, Dnice said:

Borderline going overseas, ole Beasley pretty much took his spot in Houston.

Yeah if I was him I'd go. I thought the Spurs would have signed him but they went with David Lee for some strange reason.  Maybe he can ball out somewhere like China and get picked up by a contender at trade deadline.

• Admin
1 hour ago, BigDog90 said:

Yeah if I was him I'd go. I thought the Spurs would have signed him but they went with David Lee for some strange reason.  Maybe he can ball out somewhere like China and get picked up by a contender at trade deadline.

Why would the Spurs want someone like him?  He is the opposite of their culture

• Like 3

17 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Why would the Spurs want someone like him?  He is the opposite of their culture

His skillset. He can guard the stretch 4s and 5s. He also can pass well and isn't afraid to bang for rebounds. 

Spurs locker room is strong enough to make it work with him.

• Moderators

Today's News You Can't Use features Friday Night Lights!

In Tennessee, "Josh Smith" is a kicker for the Siegel Stars and a Finalist for the state's Mr. Football award.

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/08/13/rutherford-county-jamboree-5-takeaways/88629194/

CnNBG_OXEAAJUfB.jpg

He's not the only kicker named "Josh Smith" in the Dirty South who made a field goal yesterday. One in Mississippi nailed a 52-yarder for the Tupelo Golden Wave!

https://djournal.com/sports/wave-sophomore-turns-jets/

Wave kicker Josh Smith kicked a 52-yard field goal and added a 32-yarder during a dead kicking period. IAHS kicker Skyler Grissom had field goals of 32 and 42 yards.

“He’s got a leg,” Hammond said of Smith. “A 52-yarder, it doesn’t matter if it’s dead or what. He’s a lot stronger.”

~lw3

• Like 1